comparing the sound of xBSST2 and xB(cubed)

Northman

comparing the sound of xBSST2 and xB(cubed)
« on: 31 Jan 2020, 01:16 am »
I'm almost certainly going to be purchasing a new/used amp in the next couple months and I'm trying to understand the difference between the BSST2 series and the cubed series. For example, what would be the difference in sound signature or profile between a 4BSST2 and a 4B(cubed)? If it helps, let's say I'm looking at used amps in both cases. I've read that the cubed series is more "laid back," and I read one poster online say it's more "musical," though those terms seem a bit subjective to me. I've read as best I can the "Cubed Amplifier Philosophy" and I've read many reviews of both series of amps, but I would really appreciate it if someone could explain, in layman's terms, the difference in sound. (When I bought a Bryston amp 25 years ago, there was no internet; I liked the way it sounded so I bought it!)

I couldn't search my way to an answer here but if there's another thread or link that explains it, please lay it on me!

THANK YOU.

Mag

Re: comparing the sound of xBSST2 and xB(cubed)
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2020, 04:58 am »
Haven't done a side by side comparison, just from hearing the cubed at Dealer and SST2 at home. IMO the Cubed would have better base definition and perhaps more linear but really it depends on your room and listening volume.

For me in my room I think Cubed amps would be too much bass. Like I have 2-3BSST2, Model T passives and Paradigm Studio 100's which produce plenty of bass already and I listen at above average volume. My room is 8'x 11'x 25'.

As well I have previous Bryston amp versions and IMO as the amps progressed the bass has more or better vibe and more linear. Which can be problematic in a 5.1 set up. Like I had an SST2 on the center and found it too bassy whereas my ST amp on the center channel sounded better. But the SST being more linear made the center channel disappear, not being able to locate the boundary of the speaker.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2020, 12:42 pm »
Cubed Amps Advantages

The improvements in each 'Cubed' amplifier model starts at the input buffers. That stage now consists of a new patented super-linear, low noise circuit developed by a partnership between Bryston and Ph.D. engineer Dr. Alexandru Salomie. It reduces noise and distortion in the overall amplifier by a substantial margin.

Audible improvements consist of expanded spaciousness and depth of focus, better 3-dimensional presentation, improved midbass clarity, and more top-end 'air'.

In addition, the Cubed Series has much-improved RF and audio-frequency noise filtering before the power supplies to prevent 'hash' on the power line from interfering even minutely with the power supplies or the signal. The audible effect is immunity from power-line spikes and fluctuations, quieter silent passages in the music, 'blacker blacks'.

james

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2020, 06:27 pm »
I would add as a minor bit of information the squared uses twice the AC watts at idle over the cubed. The change was discussed by James previously. Basically the idle bias was lowered, and improved the sound doing so!
Folks who care about the environment, their electrical bill, and how much more or less their air conditioning bill is in Summer.. may take note.

Northman

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2020, 01:17 am »
Thank you all so much. It took me a couple reads but I think I'm getting it. You're all very kind to respond!

TJ-Sully

« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2020, 01:43 am »
hi Northman
I had a 4BSST2 for about 5 years and loved it. I thought I would own it forever.  Then the cubed series came out, so I had to try....so I bought a 4B3.   I agree with everything James said above, obviously, but for me the cubed simply brought more life to the music. There was a certain sparkle that made my foot want to tap to the music even more.   

But....then I wanted more power because of a speaker change. So I bought a 14BSST2.....and although it was a lovely amplifier....I was disappointed. I missed the cubed sound. The change is sound character was obvious.  So I buckled down and sold my 14B2 and bought a 14B3....and now, I am one happy camper.    :thumb:

Definitely go for the cubed.