QUAD 405 2, replacement of 2 large capacitors. Suggestions.

RenatoLovo

Will soon look to replace my Quad 405 2 cracking capacitors, when start it a hell of cracking  noise, after few minutes when recharged are ok.
Any suggestions to replace it, with same value, brand ? To last another 40 years,,,
Renato

Phil A

Re: QUAD 405 2, replacement of 2 large capacitors. Suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2020, 01:30 pm »
Welcome to AC!  There are people who specialize in rebuilding Quads too

Bob Stark

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2020, 01:44 pm »
Hey Renato,

I had a Quad 405 for 28 years--the last 18 was after the Mod Squad upgraded it to a much better amp.  McCormick amps (Steve McCormick) was the principal person for doing the mods back then for the Mod Squad.  It was his company.  I'm sure he still knows that amp very well.  Contact McCormick amps.  If he can't do or suggest what needs to be done, There is an excellent place in Woodridge, IL that can repair most anything going way back to vintage stuff from the 40's & 50's.  I'm had 5 different things repaired there that were done right the first time.  The place is Deltronics and the number is 630-910-6630.  They are open on the weekdays until 6:00 PM Central time.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2020, 05:06 pm »
Will soon look to replace my Quad 405 2 cracking capacitors, when start it a hell of cracking  noise, after few minutes when recharged are ok.
Any suggestions to replace it, with same value, brand ? To last another 40 years,,,
Renato

First I would contact Quad. Ask if capacitor is issue. Then consider same cap or options. Talk to Quad modifiers and restorers before committing. A different brand cap may improve or not the sonics. Be careful not to change what you like.

charles

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2020, 10:49 pm »
Please note, The Starting Block / Introductions Circle are for introductions only. Do not open multiple threads here.
Please introduce yourself to the community by starting a thread here. If you are new to the site, threads posted here will be approved more quickly than anywhere else. Please DO NOT start more than one thread.
I will move this topic to The Lab Circle.