Recommended Interconnect - BDP-1 to BDA-3

ccpeabody

Recommended Interconnect - BDP-1 to BDA-3
« on: 26 Jan 2020, 03:11 am »
Greetings folks,

If AES/EBU is recommended for BDP-1 to BDA-1 and USB is recommended for BDP3 to BDA-3, which should I use to get the best performance out of my BDA-3 when connecting to my BDP-1?

Cheers!

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: Recommended Interconnect - BDP-1 to BDA-3
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2020, 11:39 am »
USB if you plan to play DSD (can also do PCM like Flac).
AES if no DSD.

ccpeabody

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2020, 05:32 pm »
USB if you plan to play DSD (can also do PCM like Flac).
AES if no DSD.
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply!

Without starting a cable war, is there any chance you could recommend a decent USB Cable to a novice?  Best "bang for your buck" sort of thing.

Cheers!

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2020, 05:52 pm »
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply!

Without starting a cable war, is there any chance you could recommend a decent USB Cable to a novice?  Best "bang for your buck" sort of thing.

Cheers!

http://www.furutech.com/2013/02/02/1718/

Buy:
https://www.partsconnexion.com/furutech-gt2-usb-cable.html

Others:
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649584001-audioquest-carbon-usb-a-b/

ccpeabody

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2020, 06:24 pm »
Thank you.

I was just reading good things about the Audioquest Carbon and had send the member on CAM an Email.

Cheers!

G E

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2020, 07:36 pm »
I am relooming my entire system with IC's and speaker cables from this provider.  No digital in my system but I'd source that here too.  His facebook page shows his manufacturing process.  Cool stuff.

https://www.blackcatcable.com/collections/digital-cables

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2020, 07:49 pm »
  Triode Wire Labs has a wonderful synergy with Bryston gear. TWL sells direct and has a Circle here.

charles

ccpeabody

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2020, 10:17 pm »
I am relooming my entire system with IC's and speaker cables from this provider.  No digital in my system but I'd source that here too.  His facebook page shows his manufacturing process.  Cool stuff.

https://www.blackcatcable.com/collections/digital-cables

Holy Smokes... that's expensive stuff.  I'm not sure I could ever justify paying more for cables than I did for the components themselves.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2020, 10:24 pm »
Holy Smokes... that's expensive stuff.  I'm not sure I could ever justify paying more for cables than I did for the components themselves.

Good and valid point. I generally budget no more than around 10% of my system's cost in components for wire. In the end, that's what it is: Wire.  It's not going to transform a $1000 player into a $5000 one.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2020, 10:45 pm »
Good and valid point. I generally budget no more than around 10% of my system's cost in components for wire. In the end, that's what it is: Wire.  It's not going to transform a $1000 player into a $5000 one.
Exactly. Get some quality cables and be done with it. I’ve heard differences in cables, but nothing earth shattering by any means. I’ve never heard a cable transform nor make-or-break a system.

There was a guy on Audiogon forum a while back who was using a $4k (+/- $1k) digital coax cable with a Musical Fidelity V-DAC and swearing up and down that it transformed his system and it sounded better than any DAC and cable combo reversed (meaning $4k DAC and $300 cable).

Sure cables make a difference. I think they’re subtle. But they better you know your system, the bigger difference they’ll make. But still nothing earth shattering; more like fine tuning. And that’s only after everything’s set up properly.

G E

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2020, 10:50 pm »

Some of his products are profoundly expensive but I am getting wonderful results with his second to the bottom of the line stuff.

I can only imagine what the hi end stuff is like. He offered a trial....

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2020, 10:54 pm »
Exactly. Get some quality cables and be done with it.

Still, it's fun to read some reviews of cables. Some are quite eloquent. But in the end, common sense must prevail imho.

Check this one out, then read the comments at the end. Cold shower.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2016/10/08/the-missing-link-the-stereolab-digit-75-spdif/

zoom25

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2020, 12:19 am »
Great question. For that particular combination, I suppose it's best to try things out. I'd still recommend trying an AES cable. I have been using Grimm TPR  for both AES and my analog runs in my Bryston/Amphion setup. I have various Mogami analog and SPDIF /AES (3173) here as well for comparison. Both of my DACs have USB, AES, SPDIF and BNC inputs. I have several cables from different brands and different construction methods, including a short Audioquest Forest USB cable. AES wins each time as time goes on.

Outside of the connection from the BDP-1 outwards, I also find that how the BDP-1 is fed/processed also makes a difference in sound (Roon, DLNA, MPD via USB drive vs. NAS). How are you feeding the BDP-1?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 30 Jan 2020, 12:59 pm »

ccpeabody

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jan 2020, 08:58 pm »
Outside of the connection from the BDP-1 outwards, I also find that how the BDP-1 is fed/processed also makes a difference in sound (Roon, DLNA, MPD via USB drive vs. NAS). How are you feeding the BDP-1?

My, uneducated plan, is to use Tidal, via the BDP-1 to stream DSD to the BDA-3 by using the Carbon USB cable.  I did get a chance to take a quick spin with Roon last weekend while I was demo-ing my, new to me, B&W 801 Matrix S2's.  (Thank you Shaun!) . I liked the interface but didn't have time to see what all the fuss was about.  To that end though, I did dig out an old unused iPad we had in a junk drawer and am seeing if it will take a charge, just in case I decide to go with Roon.

I've ordered a few different, low cost cables from Amazon and will try various different combinations and see how it goes.

zoom25

« Reply #16 on: 1 Feb 2020, 10:18 pm »
zoom, get this BNC cable. It will change your outlook.  :lol: :lol:

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649541737-siltech-golden-eagle-75-bnc-clock-10-meter-cables/

While you're at it, mind recommending me some cable risers to go with it?  :green:

zoom25

« Reply #17 on: 1 Feb 2020, 10:33 pm »
My, uneducated plan, is to use Tidal, via the BDP-1 to stream DSD to the BDA-3 by using the Carbon USB cable.  I did get a chance to take a quick spin with Roon last weekend while I was demo-ing my, new to me, B&W 801 Matrix S2's.  (Thank you Shaun!) . I liked the interface but didn't have time to see what all the fuss was about.  To that end though, I did dig out an old unused iPad we had in a junk drawer and am seeing if it will take a charge, just in case I decide to go with Roon.

I've ordered a few different, low cost cables from Amazon and will try various different combinations and see how it goes.

Roon is currently the best thing on the market overall for interfacing streaming services (although doesn't have Spotify, which is what I use!) and local media and pulling metadata to make things look nice. It also has support for DSP, including Audeze presets. I've been using Roon since around 2015 and you can run many endpoints around the house either synced at the same time or individual zones.

Unfortunately, Bryston BDP-1 as a Roon endpoint doesn't sound as good as its native MPD mode w/ uncompressed lossless. If you're after the best SQ, I don't think Roon will get you there or even Tidal playback. Local media playback is the way to go. Using a NAS or USB for local playback sounds different to me, but both are still better than DLNA playback (via Audirvana) or as Roon endpoint for my taste. I don't think Bryston BDP players are the way to go if Roon is the primary method of listening. It's a step down from MPD playback IMO.

I'd also recommend Pro Audio LA for getting cables made. I get almost all my cables from there. Custom length with custom colour for rings/boot on the Neutrik to keep things sorted. They do a very nice job and they are priced well. I've gotten a few cables from them to experiment myself.

https://www.proaudiola.com/cabling-s/234.htm

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 1 Feb 2020, 10:40 pm »

I'd also recommend Pro Audio LA for getting cables made. I get almost all my cables from there. Custom length with custom colour for rings/boot on the Neutrik to keep things sorted. They do a very nice job and they are priced well. I've gotten a few cables from them to experiment myself.

https://www.proaudiola.com/cabling-s/234.htm

I just received a new LV61S RCA-BNC from BJC in Seattle.  For BCD-1 --> BDA-3. Works great, and cost me peanuts.   :thumb:

Norton

« Reply #19 on: 2 Feb 2020, 01:55 pm »
My, uneducated plan, is to use Tidal, via the BDP-1 to stream DSD to the BDA-3 by using the Carbon USB cable.

Don’t know if you meant this, but Tidal does not offer DSD. AFAIK no streaming service does.  I do find the BDP1 to be excellent as a Roon endpoint, though.