Looking at the New Studio Monitor.

Sonicjoy

Looking at the New Studio Monitor.
« on: 20 Jan 2020, 02:46 am »
Hello new guy here.

I am looking for a GR Research kit to build. What I'm doing is helping my dad build a new system. We are going with a nice integrated amp and he wants a TT. However he lives in an apartment so noise is an issue. I am looking for a suitable speaker and have been following the development of the studio monitors with interest. These seem to be just right for this application. Would really love to use a true OB but may not be able to put them far enough away from the front wall. We can get 2 1/2 feet to the front of the baffle. I'm still trying to talk him into allowing 3 ft but that would be the max. I was thinking also about the NX-Otica MTM OB. Unfortunately  big subs and high SPL will be out of the question. We want a very nice highly resolving system with great imaging and sound stage size so these seem like a good match. Would love some thoughts from the crew here on which model you think would work best in this type of situation. Or if even something else would be better. I figure OB may be the best choice for avoiding bass penetration of the walls and floor do to the way they load the room compared to a box speaker. That's why I am also considering the MTM as it's a true open baffle design. Stand mounted of course.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sonicjoy

Re: Looking at the New Studio Monitor.
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2020, 02:53 am »
Also to Danny. I'm the guy with Emerald Physics EP 2.7's that you built new cross overs for recently. We just spoke on the phone last Friday. I still plan to build a pair of your servo subs to go with the EP's soon but want to start with a smaller project first. It was great talking to you. Thanks for the advice!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2020, 07:20 pm »
Studio Monitor, without question. 

And don't be shocked if you find you like them better than than the EPs, when you hear what Danny's done w/the Studio Monitor. 

Sonicjoy

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2020, 08:44 pm »
Hello Tyson. Thanks for the reply.

Glad to hear you think I'm on the right track. I will be happy to be shocked if they turn out to be better than my EP 2.7's. The EP's have the better tweeter from the new 2.8's and Danny worked his magic with the better crossovers. Now I'm sure the main improvement will be in a flatter/smoother frequency response and a better blending between the tweeter and mid/bass driver, no doubt. But I can't imagine they would be better in dynamics because with a compression tweeter, a 12' paper cone mid/bass driver and two 15" woofers per side and rated at 97 db efficiency, damn these things are just powerful! Currently driven by 275 watt class D mono blocks. The imaging is quite good also. In fact I was shocked at how much better they sound than the Vandersteen 3a Sigs and stereo pair of Vandy 2wq subs that they replaced. More 3 dimensional, way more dynamic and just much more engaging and fun to listen to. But definitely not suitable for apartment living. But hey that's why I'm hear, to learn more. Like most here I'm on the audiophile journey. I will admit I am pondering the NX-Otica. But hey one thing at a time I'm supposed to be helping my dad.

Thanks again!

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2020, 05:27 pm »
I think the  Studio monitors  would be a  good fit as well, so long as you  don't mind the  higher bass role off. If you were to add a single   12"  sealed servo sub, he'd have  it all.
Another thing worth considering,    monitors on stands  take up as much real estate  as  a floor stander,  or very close to it.    Not sure how big the room is but the NX Otica's with a  bit of room gain  play  down  pretty  decently, as the room gets larger, the role  off happens  earlier/higher.  In  my 18x12 room,  the Otica's played  down  to the 40 hz   range , with a little dsp,  I  was able to get them to play almost  to 30 fairly flat .   
As  you've mentioned,  you  do have to keep that  3" minimum  in mind  for the full OB speakers....
With regards to the MTM version,  you'll need subs for sure  with them

jay

Sonicjoy

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2020, 06:11 pm »
Thanks Jay. I think we have decided on the Studio Monitors. My dad has a small 8" sealed sub with his current system that we can try with them. It's a music sub not a home theater sub.(can't remember the brand at the moment) It sounds decent for the low volumes he is limited to. One reason I like the monitors is the price is right. He gave me a budget of $5000. to build the system. This price fits in just about right considering that if I had to buy brand name speakers I would have to spend a lot more to get something as good. That allows more for electronics and TT and a stand cables etc.

Are the kits in stock now?

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2020, 06:26 pm »
Sounds like a good plan  :thumb:
I think Peter is doing  up some  full flat packs from the original  drawing/model  we did for Danny. 

I think Danny   has  some baffles only   right now,   rest of the   kit is  easy to cut/build

jay

Sonicjoy

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2020, 06:34 pm »
Great thanks! I'm finish carpenter/cabinet builder so no problem for me to build the rest of the box's.

BTW which MDF do you like? And 3/4" ?

Cheers.

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2020, 07:30 pm »
Anything up to 1.25"  we   use  Medex.  AFor 1.5" ,  we use  a dense MDF, nothing like the "crumbly stuff  that I've seen floating  around

jay

Sonicjoy

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2020, 07:46 pm »
Great thank you Jay!

mr_bill

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2020, 07:57 pm »
How do you buy flat packs for the boxes and is the Studio Monitor for purchase at GR Research yet?

Water Dog

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2020, 08:19 pm »
I ordered a kit last week and asked about flat packs... I think it's an item that hasn't been completed yet, but it's in the works.  I plan to get started on the electronics and see if flat packs become available soon.  Otherwise, I'll probably search out someone locally that can make cuts for it.