DAC for horns

ketchup

Re: DAC for horns
« Reply #20 on: 6 Feb 2020, 04:49 pm »
I highly recommend the Border Patrol. And Gary at Border Patrol is great to work with.

I completely agree with this!  Gary is super helpful and gets back to you immediately.  Other companies could learn a lot from him!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 7 Feb 2020, 01:52 pm »
I've never considered DAC/horn synergy, but I don't like consciously flavoring system sound as one mask the other and resolution is lost.  But assuming your Klipsch DIY sounds like every other classic Klipsch I've heard, you'd want a relaxed/mellow sounding DAC and IMO that means a NOS (Non Over Sampling) DAC.  The NOS DAC's I've heard/owned are sleepy, soft, and sweet will counteract the main traits of the classic Klipsch I've heard (dynamic, harsh, forward). 

viggen

« Reply #22 on: 7 Feb 2020, 05:15 pm »
I've never considered DAC/horn synergy, but I don't like consciously flavoring system sound as one mask the other and resolution is lost.  But assuming your Klipsch DIY sounds like every other classic Klipsch I've heard, you'd want a relaxed/mellow sounding DAC and IMO that means a NOS (Non Over Sampling) DAC.  The NOS DAC's I've heard/owned are sleepy, soft, and sweet will counteract the main traits of the classic Klipsch I've heard (dynamic, harsh, forward).

That was my assumption too.  And probably true until very recently.  Now, I am more content with the D90 over the Metrum Amethyst in my horn based system.

daledeee

« Reply #23 on: 12 Feb 2020, 02:37 am »
Since I started this thread, I have received many helpful ideas.  Thank you.  I don't believe these speakers are harsh or forward.  Imaging and SQ is already good but I think I could see overall improvement bypassing the Bluesound DAC.  Therefore, by posting this thread, I may have not understood or misstated my goals. I don't see the need to mask or change the sound of the speakers only improve the overall system.  I continue to read threads and reviews.  DACs of interest are the Sabaj D5, Topping D90,  Topping D70, Border Patrol.  I read that the ESS chips(Sabaj) are pure and analytical.  The AK chip, as in Topping, is improved and softer/warmer.  The Border Patrol has a tube and good reputation.  The other two are Chinese but continue to get good reviews and seem to be improving with every iteration/new model.  Statements I made about these after reading more than one poster's opinion of the aforementioned DACs. 

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #24 on: 12 Feb 2020, 05:01 am »
The latest iteration of the Musical Paradise MP-2 tube DAC makes sweet music with my waveguide speakers. I originally had the original MP-D2 which sounded great but this new version is a huge upgrade. Garry is offering an upgrade option in which you  purchase a whole new DAC board and USB board and install them yourself in the original version. It has been one of the best upgrades I've ever done. It features a socket in which you can plug in various DAC chips including the ES9038PRO, AK4400 and the AK4497. The new AK4499 chip plug in board will soon be available too.
IMO at $999 for the latest MP-D2 MK3 DELUXE, this DAC is a bargain. The DAC is very sensitive to changes in tubes, caps and other mods which is a good sign. http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=97

daledeee

« Reply #25 on: 12 Feb 2020, 06:01 pm »
That is a very nice DAC.  Especially with a swapable chip.  Lots of upgrades available.  It is like a car, if you add all the options it costs quite a bit more.

daledeee

« Reply #26 on: 16 Feb 2020, 10:37 pm »
I went ahead and ordered a Topping D90 after reading many positive reviews.  I had considered a Sabaj D5 but there are shortages of them. I can post impressions when I get it if anyone is interested.

viggen

« Reply #27 on: 17 Feb 2020, 01:28 am »
I had a heresy a few years back and loved it.  IMOE, the D90 became a keeper after i hooked the d90 to an set integrated via a pair of cheapo jvc lc-ofc cables.  still using silver speaker cables (clear day).