Wedgies vs Super Mini's with Tubes

mkane

Wedgies vs Super Mini's with Tubes
« on: 18 Jan 2020, 04:50 pm »
  I'm stuck using my Class D modules with the Wedgies for now because there are some funny pulsing type noise's when I try and use my tube amps. This doesn't happen when using Super Minis. I'm thinking it has something to do with the crossover. If anyone has any idea what could be causing this I will investigate all options. Thanks.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Wedgies vs Super Mini's with Tubes
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2020, 05:04 pm »
Maybe there’s something going on with your AC power that your tube amp is more sensitive to.  Maybe the capacitance of your speaker cables isn’t a good match with your tube amp.  Maybe your tubes need to be replaced.  What tube amp are you using?

mkane

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2020, 05:27 pm »
 New tubes on both amps. There Harmon Kardon Citation II's. Could it be the orientation of the inductors on the crossovers? AC power is a very stable 117v

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2020, 05:32 pm »
Is it coming through both speakers at once or only one?

mkane

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2020, 05:38 pm »
 Just one speaker. My speaker cable is nothing special. This phenom only occurs with the Wedgies.

Tyson

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2020, 05:48 pm »
Switch all tubes from one side to the other in the amp.  See if the sound follows the tubes.

mkane

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2020, 05:53 pm »
 I've tried that. Still the same. Mine you both of the tube amps, Citation II's, have been refurbished and outfitted with new glass. They work fine with the super Minis.

Tyson

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2020, 05:54 pm »
OK, then try swapping the speaker cable.  Unplug the wire from the back of the right speaker & plug it in to the left speaker (and vice versa).  Does the sound stay in the same speaker?

mkane

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2020, 06:35 pm »
Stays with the same speaker. I took out my passive volume control and put in an active. No change. The noise 'was' always on the left side. So, speaker wire is good, amp is good. I change the interconnect from the source to the volume control. Seems all is well.

Tyson

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2020, 07:01 pm »
Yep then it's definitely the speaker.  Wish I could help more but the crossover is where my expertise stops....

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2020, 11:47 pm »
There is nothing about the speaker or the crossover that can cause that if all is functioning normally.

mkane

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2020, 01:55 am »
 It was the interconnects, from the source to the volume control. All is well now. Thank's for the feedback.