Class D amplifiers

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Class D amplifiers
« Reply #20 on: 22 Jan 2020, 06:47 pm »
I am enjoying the music with my pair of Orchard Audio BOSC monoblock Class D amps using GaN output stages.  Being directly driven by my balanced HiRez  DAC DSP crossover.  These are direct driving my OB planars above 200Hz with OB servo subs below them.

Absolutely black background that the music comes from with plenty of dynamics.  Very neutral sound from the amps.

It is not about the Class of the amp output stage but how it is totally implemented. 

Good luck with your search.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 22 Jan 2020, 07:15 pm »
I have heard/built a lot of amps over the past 25 years.  I use 3 Class D amps and 2 tube amps for testing our preamps and other products. As mentioned, a good amp is a good amp. However, it is my opinion that Class D sounds best with a good and properly chosen tube preamp in front of it.
I no longer have a preference as I enjoy both Class D and tube amps but always use a tube preamp.
Hi Bill, what OPT do you prefer for pre-amps?
Or do you prefer OTL pre-amps?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #22 on: 22 Jan 2020, 07:26 pm »
The best preamp IMO is no preamp. The simpler and shorter the signal path from source to speakers the better - again that’s just my opinion.  :wink:
I also thought this way in the past til I realized most my CDs are badly recorded, including many of classical music, notably Deustche Grammphon digital and others digital labels.

So to improve the sound of this poor material is need a very musical tube pre-amp YMMV.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #23 on: 22 Jan 2020, 07:52 pm »
I am enjoying the music with my pair of Orchard Audio BOSC monoblock Class D amps using GaN output stages.  Being directly driven by my balanced HiRez  DAC DSP crossover.  These are direct driving my OB planars above 200Hz with OB servo subs below them.

Absolutely black background that the music comes from with plenty of dynamics.  Very neutral sound from the amps.

It is not about the Class of the amp output stage but how it is totally implemented. 

Good luck with your search.

True and correct. Are you getting any lean or thin character ? For me that was always the stopper. I believe that is why Bill likes a tubed Preamp upfront. Meat on the bone.

charles

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 22 Jan 2020, 08:20 pm »
No lean or thin sound here.  Just sounds neutral.  Julie London still sounds fine to me!

When the amps were checked by Leo the switching frequency was around 750KHz, so way outside the audio band.  Both amps gains are matched to the third decimal point.  Images like crazy with the single driver planars from 200Hz up.

I do not use them full range.  There are servo subs running Hypex 300 watt Class D amps for 200Hz and below.   An all Class D biamped system.

YMMV

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #25 on: 22 Jan 2020, 08:24 pm »
Hi Bill, what OPT do you prefer for pre-amps?
Or do you prefer OTL pre-amps?

This really depends on a few factors. Many of these factors come into play when a customer calls to order a custom built preamp. I need to know the requirements needed to best match the system. Amplifier, and speakers are most important. In our balanced preamps, we use transformer coupling. Some customers want transformer coupled single ended for a lower output impedance.
Preamp output transformers do change the sound as compared to OTL and I can't say one is "better" than the other.
It also depends on the circuit and tube used. For my DHT (2A3/300B) preamp, I prefer the sound without transformers.

For the rest of my preamps, i.e; 12AU7, 6922, 6SN7, I prefer transformer coupled outputs but not a "deal breaker" .

For good quality output transformers my preferences in order:..... Mostly depended on price point of build. I do feel Jensen has the best for the money.
1) Electra-Print
2) Jensen - I also use their input transformers which I really like.
3) Edcor  - for more budget minded build but these are not bad at all for the money

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 22 Jan 2020, 08:42 pm »
Thanks Bill I appreciated your detailed response :thumb:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #27 on: 22 Jan 2020, 08:51 pm »
Thanks Bill I appreciated your detailed response :thumb:

No problem. One last note....for Class D amps I due prefer a transformer coupled output.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 22 Jan 2020, 09:32 pm »
No problem. One last note....for Class D amps I due prefer a transformer coupled output.
Oh good to know, Class D seems have a sunny road ahead.

Freo-1

« Reply #29 on: 23 Jan 2020, 01:24 am »
My first Class D amp was a Sony DA-9000ES.  It used PLM vs. PWM, and has a large toroidal  transformer for the power supply.  It actually sounded pretty decent for the time.  It outperformed most SS setups of the day. 

There have been a lot of engineering advances since the DA 9000ES was introduced.  There are those who would argue that recent advances with switched mode power supplies allow for better overall performance than linear power power supplies.  Benchmark uses a Class AB design with a switched mode power supply, and gets rave reviews.  Devialet uses a ADH (Analog Digital Hybrid) that sounds better than just about any other amp setup at any price. 

The power supply can have more influence with amp performance than the Class of design.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #30 on: 23 Jan 2020, 03:56 pm »
No lean or thin sound here.  Just sounds neutral.  Julie London still sounds fine to me!

When the amps were checked by Leo the switching frequency was around 750KHz, so way outside the audio band.  Both amps gains are matched to the third decimal point.  Images like crazy with the single driver planars from 200Hz up.

I do not use them full range.  There are servo subs running Hypex 300 watt Class D amps for 200Hz and below.   An all Class D biamped system.

YMMV

Good to know that Hal. Thank you. Hate lean. Julie London eh. Lucky to own most of her LPs. Now I know why you spend so much time in the listening chair.

charles