Recommend interesting speakers for Class A amplifer (First Watt DIY Sony VFET)

CurtisIIX

I built a Nelson Pass (First Watt) DIY Sony VFET amp last spring. It didn't stay in my system long; I swapped it out for a more efficient amp as the summer months approached. For those people not familiar with this amp, the design is Class A using unobtainium 40 yr old Sony VFET transistors (15W into 8 ohm and 20W into 4ohm).

Now I am thinking about getting a dedicated pair of speakers for this amp, creating a sort of 2nd system within my audio room. I would keep the source components and preamp the same but allow myself to easily swap between the two amp/speakers combinations.

My main speakers are the North Creek Kitty Kat Revelator, a conventional "dome/woofer in a box" standmount design. For the new speakers, I want something a little different. I want something that can match the cachet and uniqueness of the Pass VFET design. Obviously I want the speakers to sound good as well. I have a small audio room, so I don't think I can do open-baffle speakers. I am considering a wide gamut of options: LS3/5a monitor, Klipsch Heresy, speakers with a single full range driver.

Any recommendations for interesting speakers to be used with a Class A amplifier?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
These  - https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167137.0

Note - they sounded amazing with my First Watt Burning Amp 3 also a little over 20 watts. 

nickd

+1 on the Studio monitor from GR. Can’t go wrong there.
I’m a bit jealous of your Pass kit. I still have a Forte 1A that I can’t part with. Runs hot as a toaster, but I would put it against any of the new super amps out there. It will shock even jaded audiophiles.
Where on earth did you find V FET’s for the build??? Those are rare as hens teeth.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Wow, that's a wide range of smaller speakers.  Owned LS3/5a clones for years and enjoyed them a great deal - a mellow sound with terrific imaging, but not efficient (15 watts may not be enough even in a smaller room).  Have heard Heresys, efficient but a very rough fatiguing sound (glad to switch to almost any other speaker).  Have enjoyed my commissioned Brines Acoustics FTA-2000 single driver floor standing transmission line speakers for 15 years.  But the Fostex F200a AlNiCo drivers are no longer available.   :cry:

I'm a purist and so not a fan of extended range drivers that use whizzer cones (IMO a mechanical crossover).  Most Fostex extended range drivers have a midrange forward, nasal presentation.  If DIY is of interest Mark Audio and Tang-Band provide very promising drivers.  An Audio Circle member is Planet 10 Audio who sells very nice raw drivers, kits, and completed speakers.  I'd also consider Omega Super 3i here at AC  for a finished speaker, they have a loyal following but have never heard their current generation of speakers. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Any recommendations for interesting speakers to be used with a Class A amplifier?
There is plenty of it as Klipsch RF7 or RF83(used) along with some FR drivers:
https://www.commonsenseaudio.com/an15cfspecs.jpg

https://www.lii-audio.com/product/recommended-15-full-range-speaker-driver-for-music-loudspeaker-with-tube-amplifier-f-15-in-pair/

CurtisIIX

+1 on the Studio monitor from GR. Can’t go wrong there.

Tyson's review/endorsement should tilt the decision. I admire Danny's designs, and I have previously built A/V-1s and the LGK kit. The OB tweeter is certainly unique. However, I am not in a position to build the cabinets myself. The A/V-1s were built with a friend who has woodworking equipment/skills. The LGK kit included a flat pack, and that and some Duratex made it an easy project. I have don't problem wiring up and installing the crossover, but I'll have to seek out someone to build the cabinets, especially if I want it really nice looking.

Where on earth did you find V FET’s for the build??? Those are rare as hens teeth.

I purchased the entire kit from DiyAudio including VFETs when it was first offered for sale by Nelson Pass. I had the project on the back burner for a while.

Wow, that's a wide range of smaller speakers.  Owned LS3/5a clones for years and enjoyed them a great deal - a mellow sound with terrific imaging, but not efficient (15 watts may not be enough even in a smaller room).  Have heard Heresys, efficient but a very rough fatiguing sound (glad to switch to almost any other speaker).  Have enjoyed my commissioned Brines Acoustics FTA-2000 single driver floor standing transmission line speakers for 15 years.  But the Fostex F200a AlNiCo drivers are no longer available.   :cry:

I am casting a wide net for this project - that's for sure. Your listening impressions for the LS3/5a clones and the Heresy are valuable. I worry about all the options for the LS3/5A. Do I seek out vintage Rogers speakers, newer re-issues (Falcon and the like), or similar form-factor speakers with updated designs like the Harbeth P3esr? That's a dilemma. 

I have a friend who own several older, larger Klipsch models (KG line, I believe) which I have enjoyed, but he does not have the Heresy. I figured I could have them positioned differently than my main speaker which would make for an easy swap between to the speaker/amp combos. They are common enough where I could demo them locally as well.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
CNC cut front baffle is included in the Studio Monitor kit.

shakey

I just bought a pair of Bache Audio Tribeca speakers and tonight I tried my First Watt SIT-3 amp. It’s a wonderful combination. The Bache speakers use an 8” wide band driver with the whizzed removed, and augmented by a super tweeter and 2 X 8” woofers. It produces a big natural sound from a relatively small footprint.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Hello, Curtiss.

Have you considered any of the speakers available from Fritz Loudspeakers - especially his Carrera Be monitors? I own a pair of his LS/5-R speakers and really like them. Finding the right amplifier to power them was a challenge, but the Carreras are much easier to drive. I've read quite a few positive reviews concerning the Carreras recently.

Another idea: CSS-Audio Criton 1TD kit with flat pack included. This is just $675 with the standard crossover or $1075 with the upgraded XO. I assembled this kit for my buddy. It was easy to build and sounds very nice - on par with my Meniscus Audio Adelphos speakers.

Like you, I am looking to add a pair of speakers to my collection. There are so many choices that I get adrenaline spikes every time I discover a new possibility. I really like the bang for my bucks that kits provide.

Good luck with your search, and enjoy the journey!

Michael

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Am a fan of Fritz and his speakers too.

My small audio club invited ourselves over to Kerry's home (CSS co-owner) a couple of years ago where we heard the smaller P215 and Criton 1TD.  The Crition was a noticeable step up.  But venturing to an audio shop immediately afterwards we were enthralled by the Dynaudio Excite X18 (at twice the price and unfortunately discontinued). 

I tried to warm up to SET's several years ago but at that time couldn't find suitable (efficient with full bass) speakers I liked.