New to the Circle

Empty Pockets

New to the Circle
« on: 9 Jan 2020, 12:05 am »
Hi
New here, hoping to make some new friends, learn something new. Dare I say, buy some new speakers, again.

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
Re: New to the Circle
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2020, 01:38 am »
Welcome!

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2020, 02:00 am »
Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2020, 02:40 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Empty Pockets   :thumb:

Blackmore

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2020, 03:31 am »
Welcome to Audiocircle

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2020, 05:38 am »
Welcome  :thumb:

ntjetsmoke

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2020, 09:41 am »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2020, 11:11 am »
Welcome!

If budget is a concern, recommend JBL 305 MkII ($200/pair street price, 2-way active controlled directivity monitors, detailed, good imaging, and musical).  Have heard them and the original 305's at home.  The originals did nothing wrong, but the MkII's were much more enjoyable straight out of the shipping box.  No power amp needed.  Work on a desktop or to fill a medium sized room. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2020, 03:08 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle! :thumb:

Empty Pockets

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2020, 12:13 pm »
I'll have to check them out, might be a good fit for my workspace. The speakers I'm currently looking at are the Salk silk monitors, to replace my Martin Logan 40's in my theater room, but I'm still open to suggestions.

Welcome!

If budget is a concern, recommend JBL 305 MkII ($200/pair street price, 2-way active controlled directivity monitors, detailed, good imaging, and musical).  Have heard them and the original 305's at home.  The originals did nothing wrong, but the MkII's were much more enjoyable straight out of the shipping box.  No power amp needed.  Work on a desktop or to fill a medium sized room.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jan 2020, 02:20 pm »
Heard the Silk Towers recently, nice.  The JBL 305 Mk2 I mentioned above are the babies in that family of speakers.  The 306 Mk2 and 308 Mk2 are the bigger brothers, still very affordable, and as you might guess use 6" and 8" woofers respectfully.  The next step up are the 705P and 708P (street prices of $900 and $1800 each). All are active 2-way designs (one channel of amplification per driver).  I owned the 708P's which were probably the best overall speaker I've ever heard/owned, very dynamic and room filling with accurate detail/imaging thanks in part to the controlled directivity design all these speakers share.  But wanted to downsize my herd and they were the easiest to sell on.  They have digital inputs (AES/EBU) and analog inputs (XLR) - they have an internal DAC, so using the digital input makes the most sense. 

Empty Pockets

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2020, 02:35 pm »
Wow, just checked out the 708's. They pack a lot in a small footprint, especially with a 8in driver. I've added them to my must listen to list.