controlling an audio PC - by PDA?

EchiDna

« on: 11 Feb 2005, 09:44 am »
Hi All,
I've been playing around with my idea of running Xlobby (www.xlobby.com) with the foobar plugin to control my audio collection and to automate album cover downloads etc... however, I'd like to control this via WIFI PDA - this is doable using Xlobby's client software, but does anyone here have any feedback or experience doing it?

Looking at the Dell Axim X50V as the controller device so the screen real estate will be ok - dreaming of a tablet or veiwsonic airpanel for control, but these are only dreams ;-)

Brian T.

Re: controlling an audio PC - by PDA?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2005, 07:38 pm »
Quote from: EchiDna
Hi All,
snip..however, I'd like to control this via WIFI PDA - this is doable using Xlobby's client software, but does anyone here have any feedback or experience doing it?

Looking at the Dell Axim X50V as the controller device so the screen real estate will be ok - dreaming of a tablet or veiwsonic airpanel for control, but these are only dreams ;-)

Patrick Cazeles has been controlling his rig with a PDA.  Have a look at: http://pcazeles.perso.cegetel.net/acxo.htm  8)

Brian

Adarsh

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2005, 08:02 pm »
I wasn't successful with using Foobar in conjunction with Bemused. Bemused runs on a series 60 mobile phone instead of a PDA. Its an alternative and works perfectly with Winamp 5.

-A

EchiDna

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2005, 11:30 am »
I thought I'd get about that much response!I'll give it a good go and see how it works out....

Will post all info in here as I progress (now waiting for the blardy PDA to come from Dell - backordered ATM)

jhenderson010759

• http://www.innovative-dsp.com
Remote control PC music server
« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2005, 04:31 pm »
My preferred solution is to run SlimServer on the PC and TelCanto for SlimServer on the PDA.  Telcanto is an excellent product - very readable displays, excellent organization and rapid access to the SlimServer database.  

SlimServer drives Squeezeboxes throughout the house.  But, there is an excellent software emulator (SoftSqueeze2) which allows any PC on the network to act as a music player.

Grumpy_Git

direct control
« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2005, 12:57 pm »
Has anyone considered the use of VNC software to control their music systems?

This would seem to be an ideal solution with foobar due to the lack of huge front end and graphic data that monsters like WMP10 use? so less info to transmit over the network.

I need to finalise my server before i get onto this but its got me thinking.

Nick