Too much to hope for ??? AKSA builder in Phuket Thailand

Phat Phreddy

• http://www.PhatPhreddy.net
I would love to have a listen to this amp as I have been trying to decide if with all my other time sinks I should get 5 channals of this built (I think I need to)...

Would love to have listen and see how it sounds before commiting the time...

Can also retrun the favor with HT demo's / cold beer / whatever...

AKSA

« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2003, 04:33 am »
Hi Phreddy,

Now you mention it, I have not sold any AKSAs to people in Phuket!  Two to BKK, but one has just left for Taipei (thanks Jeff!), but none in Phuket.

I'm working on it.......

Have a look at all the reviews;  TNT-Audio, harmonicdiscord.com, and the testimonials on the site.  You can always build a stereo first, then add another three channels later...... :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Hughj

Phat Phreddy

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2003, 04:40 am »
Shame... My issue is even though I am not working (paid anyway) I moderate a few forums.. I work on media software (HTPC's / Audio stuff)... I hack net appliances and build integration GUI's... I play around with RC model planes (mini and micro)... I have too many hobbies !!!

I would simply love to be able to sit down for an extended listen and see if it made me feel like I immediately had to 'do this too' (I expect it would)...

I am thinking either 3ch 100w and 2ch 55w or simply 5x 100... I guess I will keep thinking for a while  :?

Carlman

« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2003, 03:23 pm »
Why not just build the 55 as a trial?  I was in the exact same boat as you but, I needed a little more power.  So, I got the 100W with all options and paid Hugh to assemble the circuit boards.. and a few other goodies..  People on this board told me to go for it and if I didn't like it, I could sell it here.  I had nothing to lose at that point.

In any case, I recently took the amp over to a guy's house where he, another guy, and myself listened critically in a controlled environment.  Both of them said they were going to buy one.  We compared it to a Sunfire which was a nice amp.  It was in the hundreds of watts... and to my ear, the AKSA did more things right.  The Sunfire had a lot of gusto but, the AKSA had the finesse.  The music was just sweet on the AKSA.

I'm putting together as much experience as I can to write a good review.  I'm waiting on my DAC to be upgraded before I give it the final review in my own system.  I will hopefully have a few others take a listen before too long.  It will be interesting to see what they say.

I love the amp.  It does everything right.  It's relaxed, beautiful, musical, and thoroughly enjoyable.  It's made me start appreciating records again.  It's brought my system to life.  

Also, Hugh provides top notch support.  As you can see, he's active here... but, also responds to questions quickly and effectively.  

However, if the reviews aren't enough.... I'd love to travel to Thailand.  You buy the ticket, I'll bring the amp!

-Carl

Phat Phreddy

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2003, 02:23 am »
Carl,

Thanks for the offer ;) ... My issue is really much more one of time and getting the ancillary items than it is one of the cost (though you always have to think)... Where I am getting a new multi meter (I only have an analogue voltmeter) plus getting transformers and the case are all going to be headaches...

Plus I will need 5 channels so if the project works out and impresses me (as I suspect) then I need to get chracking on another 3 channels !!! with so many time sinks currently I just am not sure I can give it time to make sure it becomes a 'completed' project...

Things should quiet down after Song Kran so perhaps I can force myself then... Whats the estimated hours involved in the base (electronic) contstruction... I am no EE but I have done plenty of electronics work before so the part identification and solder should not be an issue (saying that has probably cursed me now though)...

PP

EchiDna

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2003, 05:45 am »
Quote from: Phat Phreddy
Carl,

Thanks for the offer ;) ... My issue is really much more one of time and getting the ancillary items than it is one of the cost (though you always have to think)... Where I am getting a new multi meter (I only have an analogue voltmeter) plus getting transformers and the case are all going to be headaches...

Plus I will need 5 channels so if the project works out and impresses me (as I suspect) then I need to get chracking on another 3 channels !!! with so many time sinks currently I just am not sure I can give it time to make sure it becomes a 'completed' project...

Things should quiet down after Song Kran so perhaps I can force myself then... Whats the estimated hours involved in the base (electronic) contstruction... I am no EE but I have done plenty of electronics work before so the part identification and solder should not be an issue (saying that has probably cursed me now though)...

PP

Hi PP,
It is very safe to say that even as a rank novice, the AKSA is a very 'do-able' project. Hugh's instructions are second to none, understanding them should be a non-issue. My AKSA 100 took me about 2 weeks utilising a spare hour here and there in the evenings and is easily completed in a weekend if you put your mind to it. Sourcing transformers was just a phone call to Farnell for me and the casing I used was relatively simple, self made design (see link in my signature)... I upgraded the heatsinks due to the potential of adding further channels into the same box. This may be a route for you to consider. I reckon I can fit 4 channels of 100 watts and 2 channels of 55 watts in there if I really wanted to, but 4 x 100 is more likely!

I was in the same boat as you and did not have an option of listening to an AKSA before buying, but do I regret it? not one bit! the AKSA is that good and then some.

Since that time when I was tossing up the purchase decision before buying, I've found about 8 other AKSA owners here in Singapore and every single one of those AKSA's has taken up 'keeper' status in the owners systems. Everthing from monoblock bass amps in a horn system to my 100 Watt home made frankenstein case job...

I can only suggest that you make the decision and jump into the world of the AKSA ;-) it is a decision you will never regret.

Rocket

leap of faith required
« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2003, 09:33 am »
hello,

i bought the aksa 100 (stock) and had it assembled in january 2003.  as i've said before the aksa has replaced an n.e.w. dc-66 (battery powered) amplifier this amplifier had a rrp $3000us/$6500 au.

the n.e.w. is a fine sounding amplifier, however the aksa is better being more dynamic, slightly more transparent and it recreates sound more realistically.  you won't regret being this amp.

i'm demoing the amp to a friend who has a very expensive pair of speakers built by war audio here in perth.  it will be interesting to find out his impressions of the amp.

anyway best of luck with your decision.

regards

rod