Chasing my Tail - confused by wireless options!

mcgsxr

« on: 11 Feb 2005, 01:35 am »
I have been reading, and researching using a PC as the front end for my system, and (like many things I suppose) the more I learn, the less I am able to make a decision!

I initially thought about building an Audio specific PC, but have come to suspect that I would not get the best ROI doing this - I think that silent PC's will start to really roll now, so it might not be the best time to invest.

Especially since I have a 1 year old Dell on the second floor. Main system for music is in the basement. I do not want to move that PC downstairs, and even if I did, it is loud.

So, that leads me to examine the Roku Soundbridge 1000, the Apple Airport Express, and the Squeezebox.

Here is what I have - Bolder Mensa DAC, Hagerman Clarinet preamp, Bolder modded Teac tripath amp, DIY single driver speakers. I presently use an older Nakamichi cd player (CD4) and a Monarchy DIP Superdrive as the transport section. I would like to rip music to my Dell, setup a wireless LAN in my townhouse, and use one of the 3 wireless toys to connect it to my Mensa. I will have to have a repeater setup on the middle floor, to ensure that my signal is good, and reduce the dropouts. I am willing to do this.

I am a fanatic for fidelity - it comes before convenience most of the time, and often before cost.

So, from what I understand, the Roku looks to be my best option, BUT it does not support FLAC or Foobar2000. I could use iTunes, with AAC, but the Kmixer in my XP will compromise the fidelity no?

What can I do?

mac

Re: Chasing my Tail - confused by wireless options!
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2005, 01:46 am »
Quote from: mcgsxr
So, from what I understand, the Roku looks to be my best option...

I can highly recommend the Squeezebox.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=15994.msg139344#139344&highlight=squeezebox#139344

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2005, 03:56 am »
I am not framiliar with the other two.  I did hear the wireless itunes run  from a mac and it sounded very good.  We didn't do extensive testing, but the owner did and he said it is VERY hard to tell the difference compaired to a cd.  It was a very nice system and he was using the DAC in his Tri-vista SACD player.