BP-20 DAC

nbrigido

BP-20 DAC
« on: 26 Dec 2019, 07:09 pm »
As a new owner of a used, mint condition BP20 with internal DAC. Wanted to ask if the DAC is worth using or has the technology advanced so much since these were made that the internal DAC is now obsolete?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BP-20 DAC
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2019, 07:44 pm »
Hi

I would not say obsolete but limited to 44.1 / 16Bit resolution.

james

nbrigido

« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2019, 12:52 am »
Thank you very much for the quick reply. Current feeding at BDP-1 through it and the sound is still outstanding

R. Daneel

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2019, 04:37 pm »
Obsolescence is a matter of perspective. The same magazines that declared analog tape obsolete in favor of new digital technology are now claiming "there is nothing like it in the world". If it meets your needs and sounds good to you, then don't concern yourself with what others are saying. You might try something newer along the way but you might be surprised just how much hype there is around DACs.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2019, 07:58 pm »
Obsolescence is a matter of perspective. The same magazines that declared analog tape obsolete in favor of new digital technology are now claiming "there is nothing like it in the world". If it meets your needs and sounds good to you, then don't concern yourself with what others are saying. You might try something newer along the way but you might be surprised just how much hype there is around DACs.
Exactly my thoughts. Great sound is great sound, regardless of the technology driving it and/or it’s age. A DAC, or anything else for that matter, is only obsolete if it no longer plays what you need it to play.

And yes, there’s way too much hype in DACs IMO. So many people say new stuff is so much better than the stuff that came out a few years ago. Nonsense. Of course there’s better; there’s always been and will always be better. But there’s definitely worse too. I’ll put my going on 9 years old Rega DAC up against anything new in the $1k price range using 192/24 and below. My Rega certainly won’t get embarrassed. Not by a long shot.