Anybody heard of this or tried it?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.

Saturn94

Re: Anybody heard of this or tried it?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2019, 06:28 pm »
I tried it for awhile back in the 80s.  It was surprisingly effective.  Certainly not as good as modern multichannel stuff, but at minimum a fun experiment.

I seem to remember using a separate integrated amp for the rear channels to control the volume, but I may not be remembering correctly.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2019, 01:34 am »
I am curious doing it on one amplifier as the diagram shows. Did you use the same or similar speakers? What was the main amplifier?

It kinda reminded me of tri-mode in the car audio world during the 80s and 90s. They sold 2.1 passive crossovers during that time. I believe you had to have a mixed-mono capable amplifier. Never ran a system using it, but I can see the point of it.

Saturn94

« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2019, 02:58 am »
I am curious doing it on one amplifier as the diagram shows. Did you use the same or similar speakers? What was the main amplifier?

It kinda reminded me of tri-mode in the car audio world during the 80s and 90s. They sold 2.1 passive crossovers during that time. I believe you had to have a mixed-mono capable amplifier. Never ran a system using it, but I can see the point of it.

Ha, you’re really testing my memory!

My main L&R speakers at the time were ADS L1290, driven by a Hafler DH200 amp (and a Hafler DH101 preamp).  The “surrounds” were an inexpensive pair of 2 way bookshelf speakers (don’t remember the brand) driven by a integrated amp (35wpc Sanyo I think), if I remember correctly.  I really don’t remember using the single amp approach like in the diagram as I’m pretty sure I had separate volume control of the surrounds to get the level balanced with the fronts.

I would think with the single amp approach you would want surrounds with similar sensitivity as the mains to avoid a big volume level mismatch.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2019, 04:47 am »
I've tried it and enjoyed it back in the 70s and later in the 90s, in a VW Westfalia where I hooked up the rear speakers in series for a higher impedance so I could safely run them across the hots of the amplifier output without presenting too harsh a load to it, plus the higher impedance dropped the output level of the rears appropriately without having to use an inline rheostat. I may have fed the rears from separate amps and controlled the level with the front/rear fader—I can't remember. One thing to be careful of of going for a passive set up (one stereo amp powering all) is that the amp in question will tolerate a load between the two hots; some won't.

It happens to work very well with Blumlein recordings, of which I'm a fan, since what is reproduced by the Haffler pair is what a crossed figure of eight mic array picks up in the two side quadrants, which is mostly room sound or ambiance.

It is cheap entertainment, but the results vary greatly from one recording to another. If you had an Apt Holman preamp you could vary the amount of signal going to the rear by turning the 'stereo mode' knob which lets you choose varying amounts of mid and side, sum and difference (or L+R and L-R) signal. Going fully L-R would produce maximum sound from the rear; going fully L+R would silence the rear.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2019, 04:51 am »

-it seems like a period the closest I can come to deleting a message...