Attention Klaus

tino27

Attention Klaus
« on: 20 Dec 2019, 01:57 am »
Sorry to contact you this way, Klaus. I know you don't really monitor emails and when I called earlier this evening, I couldn't leave a message because your voicemail was full.

If you wouldn't mind letting me know the best time to call you to discuss getting my Stratos Mono Extremes shipped to you for service (I'm experiencing a hum in both amps -- probably transformer-related) as well as talking about additional work to upgrade the internals while you have them, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks, Klaus!

(I just checked my phone ... did you try to call me back around 7 pm EST tonight? If so, then I missed your call, too.)

tino27

Re: Attention Klaus
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2019, 02:19 pm »
All good now, thanks, Klaus!

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2019, 04:49 pm »
If it's only a buzz in the transformer -

I had a buzz in my Tempest pre-amp. I discussed this with Klaus and for me, the expense wasn't worth the fix. I bought a www.avahifi.com Humdinger and the buzz went away.

tino27

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2019, 04:59 pm »
Through further testing (and at Klaus' suggestion), I believe that I am experiencing a ground-loop hum. I'm going to try and isolate the problem this weekend.

tino27

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2019, 05:04 pm »
Also, thanks for the Humdinger reference. That may prove useful.

firedog

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2019, 08:47 am »
Look up how to test if you have DC offset polluting your device, it takes a little time and effort. But you can establish if that is the problem. The Humdinger works.

Will

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2019, 07:41 pm »
I had some DC in the house AC line causing a hum in my Tempest's transformer. 

This soaked up a lot of Klaus' time and efforts trying to fix it (swapping units, and replacing transformers) before I realized dirty power might be the culprit.  I picked up a Humbuster and the hum disappeared.

Klaus, you were so patient, and I will never forget your amazing customer service.

tino27

« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2019, 05:25 pm »
Turns out between the power conditioner I was using for all of my electronics and the powered subwoofer, I was sharing a common ground. I got a heavy duty 12 gauge outdoor extension cord from Home Depot and ran the powered subwoofer to a different room on a different circuit. This fixed the humming issue. However, I'm still planning on sending my amps back to Klaus to fully max out my Stratos monoblocks.  :D