OB H-Frame - Initial AMP settings

Moore66982

OB H-Frame - Initial AMP settings
« on: 18 Dec 2019, 05:16 pm »
Just finished my OBs and followed the initial settings described by the documentation with the AMPs, but on some pieces of music I seam to get excessive extrusion of the sub. At times I can hear noise made by the driver itself, not sound related to the piece, but the sound of the driver extruding and retracting, if that makes sense?
Makes me think that there is some sub-sonic crap, the driver is processing..  Only happens on certain pieces of music.
Wondering if anyone has experienced that?

Craig

Danny Richie

Re: OB H-Frame - Initial AMP settings
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2019, 08:08 pm »
You probably have a polarity flipped on the sensing coil.

Also, these woofers need to be placed at least three feet or more into the room. You can't back them up to a wall and have them function properly.

Moore66982

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2019, 09:53 pm »
Thanks Danny.
It was not a wiring issue..  I made that mistake early and know that sound..  Not that..

They were about 2 feet away from the wall.
I moved them out to 3 feet and added a diffuser on the wall..  That appears to solve the problem.
These are new beasts for me, so if under 3 feet, does a pressure wave (not sure if that is the right term) form that causes a violent action in the driver. It only happened during a bass climax instance in a song.
The OB subs are a very different experience..

Craig

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2019, 10:54 pm »
Thanks Danny.
It was not a wiring issue..  I made that mistake early and know that sound..  Not that..

They were about 2 feet away from the wall.
I moved them out to 3 feet and added a diffuser on the wall..  That appears to solve the problem.
These are new beasts for me, so if under 3 feet, does a pressure wave (not sure if that is the right term) form that causes a violent action in the driver. It only happened during a bass climax instance in a song.
The OB subs are a very different experience..

Craig

It is hard to say then exactly what caused it. If it is a really low note in the music then the rumble filter should control it.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2019, 12:29 am »
I put the rumble filter on the subs to prevent excursion from ULF (subsonic) stuff.  I also set the high pass to 20hz.  That prevents any shenanigans like this from happening.

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2019, 01:08 am »
I put the rumble filter on the subs to prevent excursion from ULF (subsonic) stuff.  I also set the high pass to 20hz.  That prevents any shenanigans like this from happening.

Good to know. I've experienced what the OP is referring to in the past and eliminated it by changing the settings on the amp, but I still had my rumble filter off. I darted downstairs and flipped the switch.

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2019, 05:08 pm »
I also use the 20hz  setting on the  A370's...
Watch  out  for vinyl rips,  they  can cause  issues

jay