Porting

uolnad

Porting
« on: 17 Dec 2019, 08:38 pm »
My Encore x-sls;s sound great except for a an over generous bass at times. there is not a place in the room where it can be tamed.
Lots of room treatment is not an option. My stand mount versions and av/1's are not a problem.
Would moving the port to front of cabinet be of any help?
Thoughts appreciated.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Porting
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2019, 08:48 pm »
Try stuffing a sock in each port. Really

uolnad

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2019, 07:06 pm »
I was going to try that,but clean socks or dirty socks,what color ,cotton or wool or maybe a blend,stripes,dots ,checks.you wouldn't hook up speakers
with just any wire or use any odd capacitors? Jeez,could you be more specific. Thanks

Jon L

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2019, 07:37 pm »
I was going to try that,but clean socks or dirty socks,what color ,cotton or wool or maybe a blend,stripes,dots ,checks.you wouldn't hook up speakers
with just any wire or use any odd capacitors? Jeez,could you be more specific. Thanks

I do this all the time with bass reflex speakers.  Does not matter what kind of socks, since you are blocking or reducing the airflow out from the port.  Sometimes, completely blocking the entire port reduces the bass extension/quantity too much, in which case, I may try blocking the port 1/2 way or 3/4 with some opening still present.

BTW.  If I recall correctly, AV123 X-SLS was the only one in the X line that was sand-fillable at the base.  If you see a sand-port somewhere on or near the bottom of the speaker, filling that will definitely tighten up the bass as well.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2019, 08:50 pm »
100% pima cotton, cryo'ed, and allow 200 hrs breakin.   :thumb:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2019, 09:29 pm »
Best I've found is socks with Unicorns on them. Wear them first for at least a day, but no more than three.

If you turn inside out and feed open end towards inside of cabinet, the Unicorns will catch some of the bass with their horns, improving the bass limiting effect.

JakeJ

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2019, 10:19 pm »
Hmmmmm....

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2019, 10:27 pm »

LOL!   :lol:

uolnad

« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2019, 10:17 pm »
Thanks for the replies. It is good to see some of us don't take ourselves or some of our interests to seriously.
That being said,my question about port placement was legit-really.
 Thanks again for any help.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 20 Dec 2019, 11:38 pm »
I wasn’t beeing facetious. The rooms at the Lone Star Audio Fest have concrete walls. On the one hand, this makes them very good for demonstrations as they block sound from the adjacent rooms. On the other hand, those rooms pose a problem with bass due to a combination of peaks around 30-40Hz and room gain. The A370 plate amps adjustibility along with the room treatment I brought allowed me to deal with these issues for the NX-Otica monitors and H-Frame subs.

However, the X-LS Encores I brought had too much bloom in the lower end. The bass was bloated. Danny had me plug the ports to tame that bloat. The only thing I had handy was socks. So I put a sock in each port. That tamed the bass in my room. When we took the Encores to another room that had more bass traps and had been set up for bookshelf speakers without subs, the Encores sounded better with the ports open. The socks were just low tech ports plugs.

As for flipping the ports to the front, I would think that would work. Jay did something similar with a pair of N3s. When he built them, he reversed the transmission line so the port was to the front. This would be easier to do when the cabinets are built but you could retrofit your X-SlSs by cutting 2” holes in the front baffle opposite the existing ports. Just be sure the holes are perpendicular and you don’t cut into any wiring or have anything that would interfere with the ports when installed.  If your port tubes can be removed, you could put them in the new locations. Whether you use the old port tubes or new, you have to plug the old ports. 

uolnad

« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2019, 08:37 pm »
I did not. Just thought a little levity was in order.
Thanks for your information.