Hafler is back.

OzarkTom

Re: Hafler is back.
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2019, 04:42 pm »
The Acoustat TNT 200, a transnova design, was designed by James Strickland and Frank Van Alstine.

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2019, 05:24 pm »
Well, some entity bought the Hafler trade name. as has happened with Dynaco, AR, Advent, Marantz, Fisher (the Fisher name has changed hands at least four times), and many of the big name brands from the 'golden era' of audio. It's probably just fine. Regarding the Acoustat TNT 200 specifically, according to one article that googled up, FVA had 'input' on the design of the TNT200. I'd be interested to hear what he has to say.

Cary1

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2019, 06:31 pm »
I really liked my older Hafler stuff (DH-220, 9130), semi warm sounding and good bass.  I love the use of meters in the new amp, but wish they would make a larger version for those of us using Maggies. 

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2019, 09:00 pm »
The older 9505 is an excellent sounding amp. Very powerful, rich tone, able to drive just about any load. Great for Maggies and electrostats. Could never understand why they weren't more popular.
The P3100 looks pretty nice from the Sweetwater description.

Dieter

Cary1

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2019, 02:25 am »
The older 9505 is an excellent sounding amp. Very powerful, rich tone, able to drive just about any load. Great for Maggies and electrostats. Could never understand why they weren't more popular.
The P3100 looks pretty nice from the Sweetwater description.

Dieter

Stereophile had a less than stellar review (said somewhat bright) and I think that really killed the sales.  I remember them being blown out for 50% off in the mid to late 90's but I was too poor to afford one, even at half off. 

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2019, 11:02 pm »
^ well, that will do it. Not my experience however. I had a Musical Concepts DH-220 and a 500, at the time, and was a little embarrassed how good the stock 9505 sounded. Never fell in love with that 500 (despite the extensive mods John did to it), mostly do to fan noise.

OzarkTom

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2020, 07:32 pm »
  If ya have older Von S speakers like a VR-6 bi-amp with a Hafler on the bass and be very happy.  :thumb:

charles

twitch54

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jan 2020, 08:35 pm »
back from the grave ???