Galibier

gnitta

Galibier
« on: 13 Dec 2019, 09:09 pm »
I’m a long time vinyl fan. Really enjoy my current turntable but looking for a bit of a change.  Has anyone had experience with Galibier turntables? I have a suspended turntable so this would be more than a little change.
I would appreciate any impressions and /or comments.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Galibier
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2019, 07:09 pm »
I liked it when I heard it at RMAF years ago.  If you know the history between Teres and Galibier then you know that Thom's design is more "precise" and Chris' is more "musical,"  at least to me.  I have a Teres, like it and still have it. It's mated to Soundsmith Strainguage system and I think they complement each other well.  I also have an Oracle Delphi V with an SME arm which as you know is suspended.  It's a great table but I noticed that there was room for improvement when they introduced the Micro Vibration Stabilizer System which damps the damping system and eliminates reduces horizontal drift in the damping system.  I was impressed.  What I got from that was that Suspension system can be a source of problems as much as it solves problems. 

I also have a Verdier table with magnetic suspension.  It gets the benefit of suspended platter and the benefit of inertia from massive aluminum platter.   I like it the best.

My view on different philosophies for that ultimate vinyl experience is that the execution of of each in such a way to emphasize it's positives while minimizing its downside is what matters.  No system is perfect and you have to find what works for you.   We all have different taste -- some like it hot and some, cold.  There is no absolute best.  There is only best for you.  Choice of your TT, tone arm and pick up as well as your stand that your system sits on and the floor (concrete on earth vs wooden floor above ground) that supports the stand will all contribute to the overall sound.  Of course the biggest difference maker would be what's in the grooves (how they were recorded, produced and pressed) but that's a different topic. 

Galibier TT will give your a leg up on the "accurate" camp given my experience.  You have to fill in the rest to make it work for the sound that you like.

Just my opinion.  YMMV.

xsb7244

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2019, 06:47 pm »
The buyers seem to be very happy.  Price does not include tonearm.
Gavia2  $17,750
Stelvio2  $27,750

If you are going to spend this kind of money, you got a lot of research to do.

gnitta

« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2019, 03:05 pm »
Thanks for your responses. I am looking for a bit more accuracy and precision. Your impressions are most helpful. I am researching more in depth and hope to make a decision soon. Just finished a listening session at Thoms. Very impressive!

xsb7244

« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2019, 03:59 am »
What is your max budget for turntable and tonearm?
You can't go wrong with Stelvio2 judging from the reviews.  You need a superb tonearm to go along.
Technics SP-10R seems to be a good one.  You need a plinth and tonearm.

jazdoc

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2020, 02:35 am »
I've owned a Stelvio for a decade.  Would be glad to chat about the experience.

JCarney

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2020, 03:30 am »
Call Thom and chat. You won’t be disappointed. Great customer service, and I think one of the best tables around. I had a Gavia for years, and loved it. Tri-Planar arm and Benz LP made magic. Most of my system is currently with my oldest son. Lot of good tables to choose from, and my opinion any Galbier will be a good choice. Depends mostly on your budget.

Good luck, and have fun with your search,
JCarney

xsb7244

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2020, 03:10 am »
Are you still doing research?

gnitta

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jan 2020, 03:53 pm »
I am closing in on a decision. Really liked the Galibier Serac at Thom’s place. Also listened to the Dr. Feickert Volare at RMAF. Admittedly not ideal conditions. I’m also considering upgrading my current table with a new tonearm(Linn Ekos SE).  All are around the same price point.  Difficult choices but interesting and fun.

jtsnead

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jan 2020, 09:12 pm »
Yes look at Dr Feickert, I went through 5 tables before I settled on the Blackbird, if near MD my friend is a dealer

[/img]