Rookie questions about BDP2 and Pi

Northman

Re: Rookie questions about BDP2 and Pi
« Reply #20 on: 20 Dec 2019, 01:49 am »
Thank you kindly, all of you. I'll say that my "stereo guy," the person from whom I've bought stuff from for over 35 years, just retired, so it's reassuring to me to find this forum.

I don't want to belabor this or wear our my welcome, so based on the most recent comments, here are two questions: 1) The BCD3 ain't gonna happen. Would the BOT-1 do the trick? It looks like I should be able to use it as a traditional cd player if I run it through a BDP. Yes? Will the BOT-1 work with a BDP1?

2) Again, at the risk of going on and on, what are the drawbacks of the BDP1 at this point? If I want to give streaming/digital music a real chance, would I find it too slow or in any other way compromised? Would it support the most recent software (MM, Tidal, etc)? I don't need perfection but I'd rather wait on a BDP2 if that's a better bet--which is what I have been thinking. (There must be a reason that so many people are trading up to a BDP2 or BDP3.)

And thanks for the amp thoughts. I have heard about those electrolytic caps. I emailed with Bryston a month or so ago and they said, basically, if it sounds good, let it roll. I might follow up on it all, though. As I may have said, the US offices are not far from me so if it's an easy job that can be done stateside, maybe I'll drop it off.

Thanks again!

TJ-Sully

Re: Rookie questions about BDP2 and Pi
« Reply #21 on: 20 Dec 2019, 02:37 am »
hey northman

definitely feeling the north tonight....it's burrrrly out there.

ok..my 2 cents.

1. If you're looking to play CD's....I'd suggest using any decent player and simply use the digital output from the CD player and connect it directly to your DAC via coax cable.

2.  The BDP-1 integrates beautifully with Tidal and Roon.  No issues at all.   The only real downside of the BDP1 is processing power. So, if you're planning to connect large HD's or NAS to the BDP1, it will behave rather slowly...and, in my experience, does not perform well with large libraries, or even 2TB HD's are a bit of a struggle.  BUT, for streaming, it's a solid performer. I've been using Roon/Tidal with my BDP1 for years with no issues and it sounds awesome.   I am only upgrading to a BDP2 because it's the weakest link in my system - and I am drawn to the larger power supply, faster processor and USB output capability.   But again...for streaming service, in a moderate system, the BDP1 is a solid choice if budget is a factor. It is not slow when using Roon/Tidal, or playing music from say..a 1TB HD. As always....IF ya got the cash, go bigger...of course. But your money might be better spent elsewhere in your chain...depending on your priorities.

3. The BOT1 is a useful device if you are looking to rip CD's to an external hard drive. The BDP1's do not have internal storage capacity, but the BDP2 does. So the BOT1/BDP2 combo might serve you well, if this functionality is important to you. But simply to play CD's, I'd look to 1 above.

either way...sticking to Bryston products is a very wise choice indeed!

good luck.

TJ