Integrated amp/2 ch receiver

Tomy2Tone

Integrated amp/2 ch receiver
« on: 7 Dec 2019, 12:52 pm »
Looking at getting a relatively low cost integrated amp or 2 ch receiver with a sub out and bluetooth capable. Just needing something to power some bookshelves so the wife can stream her Apple Music or pandora off the phone.

This Yamaha has caught my eye so looking for recommendations for something like this in and around the $500 area or lower. Thanks for any suggestions or experiences.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022AS501S/Yamaha-A-S501-Silver.html

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Integrated amp/2 ch receiver
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2019, 01:42 pm »
I like Yamaha.  There's a number of features beyond what you mentioned that I like:  old school loudness control (variable!); 4 ohm/8 ohm options; lots of input options.  The "pure direct" feature is interesting.  A friend has one of their upscale integrated amps and loves it.  With BluTooth, receivers are so yesterday. 

Other good brands include Cambridge Audio, Marantz, and NAD.

But look around for better pricing. 

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2019, 01:47 pm »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2019, 02:25 pm »
Don't know anything about micro mega.  Reliability?  Support?  Service?  Noticed a fan, most amps don't need a fan. 

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2019, 02:44 pm »
Hi, Tommy.

Have you looked at the Nuprime IDA-6? Integrated with DAC. New runs $649, but used <if available> would be in your range. It's possible the dealer would give you a discount to get close to $500, but I can't speak for a dealer. I've never heard the IDA-6, but I really enjoyed my IDA-8. I just gave it to our son for his first system.

JLM,

Micromega is <I believe> a French company that makes a wide range of audio products.

Michael

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2019, 03:25 pm »
Hi, Tommy.

Have you looked at the Nuprime IDA-6? Integrated with DAC. New runs $649, but used <if available> would be in your range. It's possible the dealer would give you a discount to get close to $500, but I can't speak for a dealer. I've never heard the IDA-6, but I really enjoyed my IDA-8. I just gave it to our son for his first system.

JLM,

Micromega is <I believe> a French company that makes a wide range of audio products.

Michael

Thanks Michael!
When do you get your Sabaj D5? I may go a different route if I don’t find something I like in the integrated camp

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2019, 04:06 pm »
Hey Now Tommy,

I picked up a Klipsch Powergate for $149 on Amazon and it should fit the bill for you. Sounds real good for 150 clams. Very versatile bit of kit. I use it to drive my Role Audio Kayaks and a DIY sub for kitchen background music . It is an integrated amp w/phono stage or auxiliary; DAC up to 192kHz; sub-out, network streamer;  bluetooth, Wifi & Ethernet capable; remote included with sub volume control. AC has a thread about it.

I see Amazon has them for $149 today. Good  luck with your search.

Finest kind,
Chris

mresseguie

« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2019, 04:18 pm »
Thanks Michael!
When do you get your Sabaj D5? I may go a different route if I don’t find something I like in the integrated camp

Tommy,

It took the seller (Sabaj?) all of 36 or 38 hours from payment to front door delivery in Atlanta. [We've been visiting our son.]  The flight from China must have been 15 hours minimum. It's mind bogglingly fast in my humble opinion.

I won't hook it up until Tuesday or Wednesday. Then, I'll let it cook for a while before I try to make a critical assessment. I already know I prefer NOS DACs, so I'm going into this with a healthy dose of skepticism. I'll try it with a Nuprime ST-10 (single-ended connection) and an IceEdge 1200as2 (XLR connection) powering my Fritz L/S5-R speakers in the concrete bunker often referred to as our living room. In Taiwan (and much of the rest of Asia), you have a choice of concrete, concrete, or <for variety> concrete walls, ceilings, and floors.  :lol:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2019, 04:26 pm »
Hey Now Tommy,

I picked up a Klipsch Powergate for $149 on Amazon and it should fit the bill for you. Sounds real good for 150 clams. Very versatile bit of kit. I use it to drive my Role Audio Kayaks and a DIY sub for kitchen background music . It is an integrated amp w/phono stage or auxiliary; DAC up to 192kHz; sub-out, network streamer;  bluetooth, Wifi & Ethernet capable; remote included with sub volume control. AC has a thread about it.

Finest kind,
Chris

Excellent suggestion. NAD as well.

charles

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2019, 04:49 pm »
Hey Now Tommy,

Finest kind,
Chris

That looks great! Thanks Chris!

For the price I will have to try it.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2019, 04:50 pm »
  Excellent suggestion. NAD as well.

charles

Been awhile since I’ve looked at NAD. Is there a particular model you had in mind? Thanks!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #11 on: 7 Dec 2019, 05:06 pm »
Tommy,

It took the seller (Sabaj?) all of 36 or 38 hours from payment to front door delivery in Atlanta. [We've been visiting our son.]  The flight from China must have been 15 hours minimum. It's mind bogglingly fast in my humble opinion.

I won't hook it up until Tuesday or Wednesday. Then, I'll let it cook for a while before I try to make a critical assessment. I already know I prefer NOS DACs, so I'm going into this with a healthy dose of skepticism. I'll try it with a Nuprime ST-10 (single-ended connection) and an IceEdge 1200as2 (XLR connection) powering my Fritz L/S5-R speakers in the concrete bunker often referred to as our living room. In Taiwan (and much of the rest of Asia), you have a choice of concrete, concrete, or <for variety> concrete walls, ceilings, and floors.  :lol:

You have Fritz speakers too along with your Daedalus? I remember a time when you just sat on the fence when it making a decision and now it almost appears you’re a hoarder...😆
What happened to you? 🤣

Samac

« Reply #12 on: 7 Dec 2019, 05:15 pm »
Been awhile since I’ve looked at NAD. Is there a particular model you had in mind? Thanks!

The NAD C316BEE should be excellent. I have it’s slightly bigger brother: The  C320BEE and love it. If I was looking for an amp in the~$500 range I’d grab it or the Yamaha A-S501 you looked at. Both are excellent values.

Cheers,

Scott

mresseguie

« Reply #13 on: 7 Dec 2019, 06:59 pm »
You have Fritz speakers too along with your Daedalus? I remember a time when you just sat on the fence when it making a decision and now it almost appears you’re a hoarder...😆
What happened to you? 🤣

I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about.  :nono:  :lol:

The Fritz speakers are in Taiwan - all by themselves. The Apollos are....amazing, spectacular, forever (unless I win a big lottery). The sitting on the fence was in reaction to my rushing out and plopping $2,100 on a pair of clearance speakers that sounded awesome in the showroom with top-of-the-line SimAudio components and Nordost flat speaker cables <of course>....only to discover they sounded shitty in my family room.

I've got two too many amps, a Selah Audio Ancora center channel speaker, and I have a pair of single driver speakers that are languishing because of WAF issues. I'll sell them next year.

Yet.....I still crave another set of speakers.  :duh: What's wrong with me? Isn't there a 12-step program for audio addicts?

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #14 on: 9 Dec 2019, 04:01 am »
I ordered the Klipsch Powergate to try. For the money and Amazon prime it seemed like a no brainer so it should arrive tomorrow.

I've got two too many amps, a Selah Audio Ancora center channel speaker, and I have a pair of single driver speakers that are languishing because of WAF issues. I'll sell them next year.

Which single driver speakers are you referring to? There was a thread here on some that looked like a good project for next year. Single driver and open baffle too. Can’t remember the name atm...

mresseguie

« Reply #15 on: 9 Dec 2019, 05:46 am »
Wild Burro 8” FR driver in Betsy OB baffles. They sound good in the family room, but my wife...well, you know.  :nono:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #16 on: 9 Dec 2019, 02:41 pm »
Wild Burro 8” FR driver in Betsy OB baffles. They sound good in the family room, but my wife...well, you know.  :nono:

Ahh, I see. I think these are the ones I was looking at maybe playing around with next year.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=166224.msg1765884#msg1765884

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #17 on: 9 Dec 2019, 04:03 pm »
Might be a useful review for some of you guys. Matthew Poes has excellent taste, uses constant directivity speakers in his main system and is a good writer. His knowledge of acoustics is also excellent. He makes comparisons to other designs which I find useful as well.

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/review-yamaha-r-n803-network-stereo-receiver.5720/

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 9 Dec 2019, 05:58 pm by poseidonsvoice »

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #18 on: 9 Dec 2019, 04:15 pm »
Might be a useful review for some of you guys. Matthew Poes has excellent taste, uses constant directivity speakers in his main system and a good writer. His knowledge of acoustics is also excellent. He makes comparisons to other designs which I find useful as well.

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/review-yamaha-r-n803-network-stereo-receiver.5720/

Best,
Anand.

Nice review, thanks Anand!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #19 on: 9 Dec 2019, 05:11 pm »
Another cool option from Yamaha is their WXA and WXC-50 models. I have a Burson Bang amp that I think sounds great and could hook up the WXC-50 to it for connectivity and volume control. Hmmmm...

https://youtu.be/LY5Okriullg