Best DAC under 1K

TKonrad.NOLA

Best DAC under 1K
« on: 3 Dec 2019, 04:47 pm »
Just upgraded from a Node 2 to an Auralic Aries G1 and Chord Qutest.  A Christmas gift to myself.  Starting to think I might have spent a little too much and thinking of going with a cheaper DAC (for now) and returning the Qutest.  Any DACS out there worthy of the Aries G1 that are less than 1K?

dburna

Re: Best DAC under 1K
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2019, 05:42 pm »
Sabaj D5. I like it muchly. Great sound quality and insanely cheap for what it delivers. And you can get it on Amazon.

Regards, -dGB

P.S. My last DAC was the PS Audio DSD Senior.....if that gives you any indication of what I think of this DAC. Haven't looked back.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2019, 05:42 pm »
Do you want DSD capability? NOS? Tubes?
Volume control?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2019, 06:37 pm »
Just upgraded from a Node 2 to an Auralic Aries G1 and Chord Qutest.  A Christmas gift to myself.  Starting to think I might have spent a little too much and thinking of going with a cheaper DAC (for now) and returning the Qutest.  Any DACS out there worthy of the Aries G1 that are less than 1K?

If you like the Qutest, consider a used 2Qute.  Or Schiits upgraded Bifrost with their new in house usb if you don't need DSD.

wushuliu

« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2019, 09:19 pm »
Sabaj D5. Both measurement and non-measurement audio lovers seem to agree on it, which doesn't happen often. Certainly impressed the hell out of me.

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #5 on: 3 Dec 2019, 10:16 pm »
If you like the Qutest, consider a used 2Qute.  Or Schiits upgraded Bifrost with their new in house usb if you don't need DSD.

Thanks.  returned the Qutest and ordered the updated BiFrost.  They sold me on the USB and the balanced outputs.  The fact that it is upgradable, American made and a $900 savings makes it even better.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2019, 05:47 am »
Thanks.  returned the Qutest and ordered the updated BiFrost.  They sold me on the USB and the balanced outputs.  The fact that it is upgradable, American made and a $900 savings makes it even better.

Make sure you give it 100 hours of break in and don't turn it off.  Congrats!

Post a review when you get a chance.  My son is considering the Bifrost as well as the Qutest.

westharpe

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2020, 06:13 pm »
I had a Schiit Bifrost and didn't like the sound.
Instead I got a highly acclaimed (by most) Denafrips Aries II and have loved it.
Also needed a streamer...got an Auralic Altair, which has an awesome DAC in it. It's over $1K, but has the streamer and great software to boot!

Wes

TrivQuad

« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2020, 06:31 pm »
The Bifrost 2 really is extraordinary, especially for $699.  SQ is exemplary — organic, smooth, detailed, and slightly warm. You can try it and return for a small charge if it doesn’t groove with your system.