Howdy from Arizona, interested in contributing

kmate

Howdy from Arizona, interested in contributing
« on: 20 Nov 2019, 05:14 pm »
   Hello, I've been a member for a while, but haven't posted yet. Since I've gained so much from Audio Circle over the past few years, I thought it was time to pay some back to this group. Also, as a direct result from others on Audio Circle, we have formed a small audiophile group in southern AZ to collaborate in enjoying this wonderful hobby.
   I have always been interested in hi-fi, but only got serious about six years ago when I refurbished a Dynaco Stereo 70. I am a DIY'er to the core, and have either built or rebuilt all of my gear, except for speakers. The picture posted here is just one of my latest projects; rebuilding a pair of Quicksilver V4 monoblocks. And yes, the Quicksilver V4's are awesome amps (worth upgrading too when bought used).
   I custom build audiophile USB cables which I make available online. You can read my technical articles about USB and computer audio at the JMaxwell USB website. That's all I'll say here, until I learn what is or isn't allowed without a vendor subscription.
   It will be nice to meet some of you on this forum, and to share ideas.
Cheers!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Howdy from Arizona, interested in contributing
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2019, 05:32 pm »
Welcome Kmate, thanks for the photo :thumb:

ntjetsmoke

« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2019, 06:57 pm »
Welcome to the AC!

Blackmore

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2019, 07:26 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2019, 07:33 pm »
Welcome to AC kmate  :wave:

kmate

« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2019, 08:43 pm »
Thanks a lot everyone for the welcome messages!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2019, 10:15 pm »
Welcome to AC.

Nice looking amps. I really like the granite!

kmate

« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2019, 11:02 pm »
Thanks mresseguie. The granite slab sits on a plywood box which is the core of a low table that I'm in the process of making. It'll have two drawers which will hold extra tubes. I'll profile the project at some point in time on AC. The weight of this is about 100 pounds, and it nicely damps the transformers in these amps.

A_shah

« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2019, 09:01 am »
   Hello, I've been a member for a while, but haven't posted yet. Since I've gained so much from Audio Circle over the past few years, I thought it was time to pay some back to this group. Also, as a direct result from others on Audio Circle, we have formed a small audiophile group in southern AZ to collaborate in enjoying this wonderful hobby.
   I have always been interested in hi-fi, but only got serious about six years ago when I refurbished a Dynaco Stereo 70. I am a DIY'er to the core, and have either built or rebuilt all of my gear, except for speakers. The picture posted here is just one of my latest projects; rebuilding a pair of Quicksilver V4 monoblocks. And yes, the Quicksilver V4's are awesome amps (worth upgrading too when bought used).
   I custom build audiophile USB cables which I make available online. You can read my technical articles about USB and computer audio at the JMaxwell USB website. That's all I'll say here, until I learn what is or isn't allowed without a vendor subscription.
   It will be nice to meet some of you on this forum, and to share ideas.
Cheers!

Welcome to A/C,
I own a pair of QuickSilver Mono amps 60 watts and also a QuickSilver HP amp ( which  really an end game for me when it come to HP amps  - I am
lucky to have Mark Sander ( owner of  QuickSilver audio ) about 30 mins drive from my place and have  met him a few time most amps have come and gone but these quicksilvers will stay forever with me it just amazes me how quite they are I do have a quest to buy a 2nd amp  a low powered amps looking at airtight , 300B  LTA ultra Linear , Decware 25th  anniversary edition maybe allnic M310      :popcorn:

Asghar

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 22 Nov 2019, 02:38 pm »
Welcome as well.

kmate

« Reply #10 on: 22 Nov 2019, 07:27 pm »
   Hi A_shah. Good to hear that you are also using Quicksilver (Mike Sanders) gear. I actually rebuilt a pair of 1980's vintage Quicksilver KT-88's before these V4's. The increase in power was a nice improvement, but that was only because my speakers were rather inefficient.  :)
   Here is a pic of one of the KT-88 amps after a complete rebuild that I did a few years ago.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 22 Nov 2019, 08:34 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC kmate   :thumb:  Nice looking gear.   8)

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #12 on: 23 Nov 2019, 12:43 am »
The increase in power was a nice improvement, but that was only because my speakers were rather inefficient.
This is a unpleasant situation in audio today, hi and low efficiency drivers cost the same to develop and made, but the hi efficiency driver can run with a small inexpensive amp.