Damage from inadvertent bridging?

Mike-48

Damage from inadvertent bridging?
« on: 17 Nov 2019, 08:57 pm »
James--

On my 4B3, the toggle inadvertently got switched to bridged mode while my speakers were connected as a stereo pair. Because I had just updated the firmware on my (non-Bryston) preamp, I thought the problem was there, and it took quite a few tests and a lot of head-scratching to figure out had what happened to the sound.

Since the incident, things don't sound quite right, maybe a bit muffled. But at the same time, we are having a lot of pollution, and I'm having a hard time keeping my ears clear. Is is likely that damage was caused, either to amp or to speakers, from running the system with the mistaken switch position?

Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Damage from inadvertent bridging?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2019, 10:18 pm »
James--

On my 4B3, the toggle inadvertently got switched to bridged mode while my speakers were connected as a stereo pair. Because I had just updated the firmware on my (non-Bryston) preamp, I thought the problem was there, and it took quite a few tests and a lot of head-scratching to figure out had what happened to the sound.

Since the incident, things don't sound quite right, maybe a bit muffled. But at the same time, we are having a lot of pollution, and I'm having a hard time keeping my ears clear. Is is likely that damage was caused, either to amp or to speakers, from running the system with the mistaken switch position?

Thanks!

Hi Mike

No issue at all with damage to the amplifier other than very bad sounds while the switch is in the wrong position !

james

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2019, 11:02 pm »
Mike in NC... you have my deepest admiration for actually FINDING OUT what was wrong. I bet you spent a very long time looking...!!!!!
I know when some little 'unknown' error causes the system to fail.. it can be a genuine PITA to find out what it was. Since the switch is pretty hidden, and small, and unobtrusive.....
Jeez I cannot imagine to time it took to find it.... You had to have gone down the check every switch wire and connection route.. probably more than once...  :thumb:

Mike-48

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2019, 02:39 am »
Elizabeth, Thank you! You're right, the problem was not easy to find, and I made a lot of mistakes before finding it.

And Bryston . . . I suppose you changed from slide switches on older models to toggles for a good reason, but damn! those little toggle switches are easy to trip without realizing it.

Mike-48

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2019, 02:40 am »
No issue at all with damage to the amplifier other than very bad sounds while the switch is in the wrong position !

Thanks, James. Can I assume that no damaging signal was sent to the speakers, either? Certainly nothing seemed loud -- quite the opposite!

Mike

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2019, 03:08 am »
Thanks, James. Can I assume that no damaging signal was sent to the speakers, either? Certainly nothing seemed loud -- quite the opposite!

Mike

Hi Mike

I would assume the speakers are fine.

james

Mike-48

« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2019, 03:54 am »
Thanks again, James.

gbaby

« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2019, 07:59 pm »
Thanks again, James.

Mike, where are you in NC, the West, East coast, the Piedmont or Triad? I'm on the east coast. Killer looking system you have by the way.  8)

Mike-48

« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2019, 11:56 pm »
Thanks! We lived in Beaufort for 11 years and moved to Portland, Oregon, 10 years ago. A lot to love in both places, but i had a bigger audio room in NC.

gbaby

« Reply #9 on: 5 Dec 2019, 03:42 pm »
Thanks! We lived in Beaufort for 11 years and moved to Portland, Oregon, 10 years ago. A lot to love in both places, but i had a bigger audio room in NC.

You should have stayed in Beaufort, but I guest the hurricanes ran you away.  :lol: I live in New Bern. Wow, so close.

Mike-48

« Reply #10 on: 25 Dec 2019, 08:27 am »
@gbaby : A good friend grew up in New Bern. He was at the next table in a Portland restaurant, and after he spoke a few words, my wife leaned over and said, "You're from eastern North Carolina," and the friendship began.

Yes, hurricanes were a big factor in moving. We had been through many, and they create so much work! In Portland we might have floods, volcanoes, and earthquakes -- but in 10 years, none have hit. Maybe tomorrow....

Portland also offers better access to audio dealers. I made quite a few trips to the Raleigh area to pick out my previous speakers. I'd reserve a motel room, drive up on Saturday morning, visit dealers on Saturday and Sunday, and head home Sunday mid-afternoon.
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2019, 02:40 am by Mike in NC »