Poll

What new product or upgrade do you think Bryston should produce next?

DSP upgrade for SP1.7
14 (19.7%)
DVD video player/transport
6 (8.5%)
"Universal Player" (DVD Video, multi-channel DVD-Audio and perhaps also SACD)
11 (15.5%)
Stereo stand-alone CD/SACD player
7 (9.9%)
Stand-alone stereo DAC and/or stand-alone stereo CD transport
11 (15.5%)
A new pre-amp
5 (7%)
A new power-amp
2 (2.8%)
A new integrated amp
1 (1.4%)
Blue-laser video player (e.g. BluRay, HD-DVD)
5 (7%)
New design of home cinema processor (perhaps with > 7.1 audio channels)
4 (5.6%)
Integrated home cinema processor/multi-channel power amp
1 (1.4%)
5.1 channel pre-amp with no processing or DAC abilities
2 (2.8%)
Some other upgrade to an existing product (please specify)
2 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: 7 Feb 2005, 11:11 am

The people speak out (or at least I hope they will - a bit)

antt

« Reply #20 on: 13 Feb 2005, 08:36 pm »
The only problem with a poll is you can't vote more than once (sigh). But at least you can post more than once so...
Quote from: brystonbrad
Well if you add up universal player (DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, SACD) + DVD transport that puts a "DVD player" in the lead... YES! gimme, gimme! lol.

If you can build one that actually passes ALL of Secrets tests, I know I'd buy it.  (I don't think there's been one yet)

nicolasb

« Reply #21 on: 14 Feb 2005, 11:06 am »
Quote from: Mike Pickett
We expect that an upgrade (without HDMI) for existing SP1/SP1.7 owners will soon be available to our customers.

Is there any chance you could clarify what you mean by "soon"?  :D

Failing that, when can we expect an official announcement of what the upgrade will involve, and what it will cost?

Mike Pickett

« Reply #22 on: 14 Feb 2005, 03:54 pm »
Nicolasb wrote:
Is there any chance you could clarify what you mean by "soon"?

How's about 'Spring'?  If I try to be any more precise I'll wind up apologizing later.

Mike

Fife12

« Reply #23 on: 14 Feb 2005, 05:14 pm »

If you can build one that actually passes ALL of Secrets tests, I know I'd buy it. (I don't think there's been one yet)

..I think the problem is that Secrets tests are more video driven than audio oriented....

nicolasb

« Reply #24 on: 14 Feb 2005, 05:25 pm »
How's about 'Spring'?  If I try to be any more precise I'll wind up apologizing later.

Well that's pretty vague! Bryston is based in Canada, and the whole of Canada is well known to be held in the iron grip of a never-ending Ice Age, so that could quite easily mean several thousand years from now. :lol:

nicolasb

« Reply #25 on: 14 Feb 2005, 06:24 pm »
I've decided I shall optimistically interpret "Spring" to mean "some time between the beginning of March and the end of May this year". :)

Are any more details available, yet? For example:
  • Is anything other than the DSP being changed?
  • What (if any) new features will be available in the first release of the software intended for the new DSP?
  • Are you now going for THX Ultra 2 certification?
  • What is the cost of the upgrade likely to be?
  • And a perennial favourite of mine: might it be possible for us British customers to have the upgrade done in Britain by PMC rather than having the processor sent to Canada and back? I have to assume that the two-way trip across the Atlantic is one reason why previous Bryston upgrades have cost (literally) twice as much in Britain as they do in america.[/list:u]

Allezvite

Mixing Metaphors
« Reply #26 on: 14 Feb 2005, 08:17 pm »
Quote from: nicolasb

Well that's pretty vague! Bryston is based in Canada, and the whole of Canada is well known to be held in the iron grip of a never-ending Ice Age, so that could quite easily mean several thousand years from now. :lol:

Not the "iron grip", the "Icy Grip", the "ICY GRIP !!"

nicolasb

« Reply #27 on: 15 Feb 2005, 10:17 am »
"The icy grip of an ice age" just sounds silly, though. Can't have anything to do with Bryston sounding silly....  :wink:

BeeBop

« Reply #28 on: 15 Feb 2005, 10:28 am »
Quote from: antt
If you can build one that actually passes ALL of Secrets tests, I know I'd buy it.  (I don't think there's been one yet)

I bought one of those - a Denon 1600 DVD player. Lasted less than 2 years.

antt

« Reply #29 on: 16 Feb 2005, 03:00 am »
Quote from: BeeBop
I bought one of those - a Denon 1600 DVD player. Lasted less than 2 years.

Yea, I don't have much faith in mass market companies anymore.  (Hence the reason I haven't purchased a Denon DVD player - Besides, didn't this one fail one test?) But if Bryston built it, I'd buy it.

nicolasb

« Reply #30 on: 17 Feb 2005, 01:27 pm »
Everyone's gone all quiet again on the subject of the SP1.7 upgrade, I see.  :(

I have this vision in my head of Mike Pickett being intercepted on his way home by someone who sounds like Fat Tony (on "The Simpsons"):

"It would appear, Mr Pickett, that a certain person has been... shall we say, a little too generous in the giving out of information. Your friends at Bryston would like your reassurance that this will not happen again."  

:mrgreen:

Mike Pickett

« Reply #31 on: 17 Feb 2005, 09:34 pm »
Alright, alright.

I'll answer your questions as best as I can, but if I end up taking a short swim in heavy boots you'll know why.

The upgrade will involve at least the micro-controller board in addition to the DSP.  As far as I know, nothing else is needed to accomodate the new DSP.

As far as new features go, Shane might have to weigh in on this one, since most of the features are part of his software.  Same deal regarding Ultra 2 certification.  Shane?

We haven't figured out a cost for this upgrade yet, but we're working on it.  Since it won't involve a faceplate and rear panel, etc., we're assuming it will work out cheaper than the upgrade from SP1 to 1.7, but the DSP is still expensive, so don't get too excited.

nicolasb; you'll be happy to know that this is a fairly straightforward board swap, and can be easily done at the distribution level.  Short answer is no, you won't have to send it to us.

[/list:u]

Now if that's everything, I'm going to dig a path to my snowmobile and head home.  Later.

Mike

P.S. Watch it.  My Mom's Sicilian, although she doesn't sound like Fat Tony.

nicolasb

« Reply #32 on: 17 Feb 2005, 11:01 pm »
Thanks, Mike!  :thumb:  

I'm all excited now! :hyper:

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #33 on: 17 Feb 2005, 11:22 pm »
Alright, alright.

I'll answer your questions as best as I can, but if I end up taking a short swim in heavy boots you'll know why.

The upgrade will involve at least the micro-controller board in addition to the DSP.  As far as I know, nothing else is needed to accomodate the new DSP.

As far as new features go, Shane might have to weigh in on this one, since most of the features are part of his software.  Same deal regarding Ultra 2 certification.  Shane?

We haven't figured out a cost for ...

Thanks very much Mike!   Now bug Shane about updating that rs-232 protocol... :D

Levi

« Reply #34 on: 18 Feb 2005, 02:56 am »
I am excited about the proposed update for the SP1.7.  I saw a new one with the screen that can be turned off.

nicolasb

« Reply #35 on: 18 Feb 2005, 11:21 am »
Okay, what do we have to do to get Shane out of hiding and have him comment on likely software changes?  :)

KJ

« Reply #36 on: 18 Feb 2005, 02:08 pm »
Quote from: nicholasb
Okay, what do we have to do to get Shane out of hiding and have him comment on likely software changes?

Voodoo doll!   :lol:

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #37 on: 18 Feb 2005, 04:07 pm »
Quote from: KJ
Quote from: nicholasb
Okay, what do we have to do to get Shane out of hiding and have him comment on likely software changes?

Voodoo doll!   :lol:

:lol:  :lol:

Adz523

« Reply #38 on: 19 Feb 2005, 12:58 am »
Alright, alright.

We haven't figured out a cost for ...

Two Questions, Mike:
What is the micro controller board and can you provide any more detail around the new DSP.  Also, say it ain't so Mike - no change in the back panel which I guess means no additional subwoofer out?  The ability to run dual subwoofers is market these days.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #39 on: 19 Feb 2005, 01:06 am »
On the dual subs - you can use the XLR and the RCA out.

james