Poll

What new product or upgrade do you think Bryston should produce next?

DSP upgrade for SP1.7
14 (19.7%)
DVD video player/transport
6 (8.5%)
"Universal Player" (DVD Video, multi-channel DVD-Audio and perhaps also SACD)
11 (15.5%)
Stereo stand-alone CD/SACD player
7 (9.9%)
Stand-alone stereo DAC and/or stand-alone stereo CD transport
11 (15.5%)
A new pre-amp
5 (7%)
A new power-amp
2 (2.8%)
A new integrated amp
1 (1.4%)
Blue-laser video player (e.g. BluRay, HD-DVD)
5 (7%)
New design of home cinema processor (perhaps with > 7.1 audio channels)
4 (5.6%)
Integrated home cinema processor/multi-channel power amp
1 (1.4%)
5.1 channel pre-amp with no processing or DAC abilities
2 (2.8%)
Some other upgrade to an existing product (please specify)
2 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: 7 Feb 2005, 11:11 am

The people speak out (or at least I hope they will - a bit)

rmihai0

« Reply #100 on: 6 Jul 2005, 08:32 pm »
A DVD-player, able to play DVD-Audio just in two channels. There is no need for 5.1 channels (or maybe it is... but not in my opinion).

So, a DVD-player that will excell in CD reproduction.

That will do it.

ScottMayo

VS upgrade
« Reply #101 on: 13 Jul 2005, 01:26 am »
I'd love it if the Video Switcher could be upgraded to unpack a composite or VGA signal input into a component output. This comes up with projectors. You'll have a DVD (component), a VCR (composite), and maybe a PC or other video source. 30' of cable away, you'll have a projector.

With the VS the way it is now, you have to run 4 cables out to the projector to handle this - and if the projector isn't too swift about auto-switching to different inputs, you get to fiddle with it every time the source changes. But if the VS could be told to unpack inputs into a component output, you'd run one less cable - and the projector would never have to switch modes.

I suppose an option to convert the other way could be useful, too.

brucek

« Reply #102 on: 13 Jul 2005, 04:57 pm »
if the projector isn't too swift about auto-switching to different inputs, you get to fiddle with it every time the source changes

You're looking for a scaler/switcher. Quite an expensive device when done properly, but I don't think it's Brystons forte.

But you're right, a scaler/switcher is certainly necessary for a projector. Projectors work best when fed their 'native' resolution. The mutliple inputs and cheezy scalers they provide integral to most projectors today don't usually do a good job, and as you say, there's that pesky switching time. You really need an external scaler/switcher that accepts mutiple inputs and resolutions and outputs the selectable native resolution of your projector...

brucek

ScottMayo

« Reply #103 on: 15 Jul 2005, 03:28 pm »
Quote from: brucek
You're looking for a scaler/switcher. Quite an expensive device when done properly, but I don't think it's Brystons forte. ...
brucek

Yes, generally $1000 and up. But Bryston's already selling a box with the right inputs and outputs, power supply, and so on, and there's a hunk of the cost right there. I'd be willing to bet that for an extra $500, the VS could take on this role. And it would turn the VS, which is basically an adjunct to the SP1.7 as it stands, to a useful standalone device that solves a pesky problem. Byrston could liscence the technology from a shop that already does it right; no need to completely reinvent the wheel.

brucek

« Reply #104 on: 15 Jul 2005, 06:25 pm »
Yes, generally $1000 and up

Decent scaling starts around $3000. I think Brystons reputation demands top notch electronics. But I agree, they could work with some capable company on this and come up with a nice product that only adds a few thousand to the existing VS..

I really like the idea...  :D

brucek

Adz523

« Reply #105 on: 3 Aug 2005, 11:46 pm »
Quote from: James Tanner
Shane and Dan are working with the new software now and I have prototypes at home I am assessing.

james

James, can we get another update -- perhaps a time frame especially if you are getting pissed off at us asking too often?

ScottMayo

« Reply #106 on: 4 Aug 2005, 01:31 am »
>James, can we get another update -- perhaps a time frame especially if you are getting pissed off at us asking too often?

I'm trying to imagine a head of Marketing getting pissed at loyal fans openly clamouring for the next release of a product. It's not working; all I can see is tears of gratitude and murmurs of "damn, I love my job."  :-)

As a software guy, I have a pretty good guess as to what's going on. Someone found a bug or two, and it can be a little tricky to predict when a bug will be fixed. (There are only two honest bugfix estimates, depending on the sort of bug: 1. "Oh, that's easy. Fifteen minutes." 2. "Dear God, who knows? Who KNOWS?!?")

I think Bryston could do well by using willing AC folk as a test bed for software changes. Nothing finds bugs like hordes of users, and lots of folk here would cheerfully do QA for free, if there was even the prospect of improved musical performance, or a new feature to try out.

And why not? Microsoft's been doing this for decades. Only they call them "End users", not "volunteers", and you have to pay to play. :-)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #107 on: 4 Aug 2005, 04:52 pm »
Hi All,

Still working on software and feature changes and making sure all is OK.

james

Levi

« Reply #108 on: 4 Aug 2005, 06:18 pm »
Hi All,

james

Hi James,

Are there going to be changes in the 2ch bypass mode?

Thanks.

Levi

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #109 on: 4 Aug 2005, 06:26 pm »
No changes in analog

james

Adz523

« Reply #110 on: 5 Aug 2005, 12:07 am »
Hi All,

james

Hi James,
Can you please give us just a teeny tiny taste of some of the pertinent features and the initial impressions compared to the current?????
:hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #111 on: 5 Aug 2005, 04:49 pm »
So far:

THX Ultra Sub setting - Independent Crossover selection on Fronts, Rears, Backs and Sub - 7.1 surround from any 2 channel source - 96/24 DTS surround. - 96/24 Stereo.

james

Adz523

« Reply #112 on: 5 Aug 2005, 10:28 pm »
So far:

THX Ultra Sub setting - Independent Crossover selection on Fronts, Rears, Backs and Sub - 7.1 surround from any 2 channel source - 96/24 DTS surround. - 96/24 Stereo.

james

Cool.  How is the new DSP?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #113 on: 6 Aug 2005, 12:54 pm »
Hi adz,

Do you mean from a sound quality standpoint how the DSP is different?

james

Adz523

« Reply #114 on: 6 Aug 2005, 01:16 pm »
Hi adz,

Do you mean from a sound quality standpoint how the DSP is different?

james

Well, I guess so -- I was wondering if additional processing power resulted in an enhancement in sound quality; but perhaps I was off there when I posted that.   I guess the extra processsing power lays the foundation and the potential for being able to build in more features and do more things which can improve sound quality, but it and of itself doesnt??

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #115 on: 6 Aug 2005, 01:48 pm »
Hi adz,

Yes I agree it simply allows for more computing power rather than a quality difference.

Something you may find interesting is that when we were deciding on what DAC's to use in the SP1.7 and the BP26/B100 etc. we did some blind listening tests with a number of people. We switched between DAC's at 44/96/192KHz and found that no one could distinguish between 96 and 192.  When we ran the technical tests we found that the 192 actually had more distortion and noise than the 96 (think the DAC's get a little more stressed at that point). So we decided to use the DAC's capable of 192 performance but run them at 96/24.

The main point though is that I find the analog amplifying stages around the DSP's or DAC's are far more critical to optimizing performance than the DSP's and DAC's themselves.

james

Adz523

« Reply #116 on: 6 Aug 2005, 03:23 pm »
So far:

james

What about DPLIIx?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #117 on: 6 Aug 2005, 05:24 pm »
Yes it has DPL11X

nicolasb

« Reply #118 on: 8 Aug 2005, 01:37 pm »
Quote from: Adz523
I was wondering if additional processing power resulted in an enhancement in sound quality; but perhaps I was off there when I posted that.   I guess the extra processsing power lays the foundation and the potential for being able to build in more features and do more things which can improve sound quality, but it and of itself doesnt??

While a more powerful DSP ought not to make any difference to simple operations like decoding Dolby Digital, in practice it often does, not so much because the DSP is more powerful, but simply because it is newer and better supported. The software for things like decoding DD is almost never written by the manufacturers of the final device. Instead it uses standard libraries published by the manufacturers of the DSP. Older DSPs often have more bugs in the standard code libraries, which can't be fixed because the DSP is no supported by the manufacturer. Newer DSPs tend to have less buggy libraries (and if anything is wrong, there's a chance it can be fixed).

So far as I'm aware, Bryston doesn't write its own proprietary post-processing software in the way that (say) Lexicon or Meridian or Tag McLaren all do, so the same thing probably applies to things like bass management. Doing bass management properly is not quite as simple as it sounds, anyway, and it tends to be an area where older devices (such as the single-processor Tag McLaren AV32R) are a little weaker than newer ones (such as Meridian or Lexicon devices).

My own experience suggests that newer devices with more powerful DSPs seem to produce better quality steering across the rear channels than older ones do. If you compare an SP1.7 to a dual-SHARC Tag McLaren processor, for example, the Bryston sounds better in the front 3 speakers, but the Tag has razor-sharp steering to the rear, while the SP1.7 is slightly less clear. That's also the area where the Lexicon MC12B most clearly beats the SP1.7.

It'll be interesting to see how much (if any) difference there is to the sound quality after the DSP upgrade. There may also be some useful new features. I think it's more or less official that we'll have the ability to set different cross-over frequencies for different speakers with the new DSP - that will allow some useful fine-tuning in floorstander systems where the fronts can go deeper than the rears. It will also (I imagine) eliminate the annoying effect where everything above the cross-over frequency in the LFE channel is rolled off at 24dB per octave.

We'll see. :)

ScottMayo

« Reply #119 on: 8 Aug 2005, 02:59 pm »
So far:

james

Thank you thank you thank you! Independent crossover frequencies are going to be helpful in tailoring the sound for my wife, who likes different bass and speaker setups than I do. :-)

One thing I want to beg for - please make it possible to adjust the crossovers via the serial port interface. Bring able to send something like "XOF 35" (cross over the front channels at 35) would make automation really, really nice: that way, in my homegrown automated system, I can hit the Wife button and call up one style of processing, and the Husband button and call up a different one. :-)

By the way, I can't recommend enough that you give away a Windows application that speaks serial to the SP1.7 and lets you specify settings; *especially* setting the Effects processing. Selecting an effect from the remote or front panel is absolutely maddening - you have to step through each setting in turn, you can't just hold the button down and scroll to the one you want, and if you push the buttons quickly, it ignores you. Walking among PL2Movie, Stereo5 and Natural (my most common picks) is especially annoying, and automating this in my own system made my music life a lot less irritating.