Windows XP USB device detection failure

Bemopti123

« on: 6 Feb 2005, 09:25 pm »
Hi all, I would like to know what is happening to my USB ports, when I am trying to either connect flash memory readers or my digital camera via one of the front or back ports.  My computer is a Dell Dimension 8300 with Windows XP on it, but what once used to work, now it does not.  Usually Win XP used to detect and wire these devices automatically, but now, it says that it does not recognize and that the devices failed.  What does this mean?  Can it be possible that all 3 devices failed together, or what?  What is strange is that I have older USB printers and scanners and they all detect properly, but in why not the others?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

dave_c

« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2005, 09:30 pm »
Does it say "Hi-Speed USB device plugged into a non Hi-Speed Port" or does it just error out?  Do you have SP2?

Bemopti123

« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2005, 01:00 am »
No, it does not seem to be a USB speed issue.  An icon simply says "The device you have tried to connect is not recognized by Windows or the Device connected has failed."  Strangely enough, as I was trying to use my 3 in 1 copier scanner and printer machine, which seems to have been having problems connecting to the computer, the Flashmemory readers and even the Camera USB have come online.  Now, I am able to do what I wanted to, but the damn 3 in 1 does not work.  Is it possible that the USB devices or connections might be overloading the USB ports?  Eventhough all major printing devices and even the camera are self powered, I believe that the Mouse, as well as the Flashmemory readers are not.  I cannot stand the unreliability of Windows anything, XP is much better than the previous versions, but these thing about things working sometimes and other times not, is not good for my mental sanity.  I was about to send my expensive Olympus Digital Camera to the Service Center for servicing just because of this issue.  To make matters worse, eventhough I cannot afford to buy another computer, but maybe on overloaded credit, I was thinking about getting an Apple Mini to see whether I can get away from this sort of non sense.  

What do you think might be the problem with these USB issues?

SET Man

Window problem?
« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2005, 04:01 am »
Hey! Bemopti123. I see you are having problem with Window. No, surprise there. Everyone using Window, any Window usually have problems :lol:

Okay, so your Window won't reconize the USB plug in. I used to have this problem and it is likely that you need to install or reinstall the program that come with the hardwear. If you don't have one you could check out the company web site they might have it and you could download it and than install.

Anyway, the other way to slove this problem once and for all! Maybe its time to get yourself a Mac  :D I got my first Mac last year, a beautiful 12" PowerBook and never look back :mrgreen:

I don't know why that nerd can't come up with a more reliable system :lol:  Oh! here is something for all of the Window user to think about. Is an article by a columist of SF gate.com that is featured on Apple.com page.

http://sfgate.com/columnists/morford/http://

Goodluck,
Buddy

My gallery
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=215

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2005, 04:58 am »
I agree!   My HomePortal, which runs the home network (DSL modem, ethernet, HomePNA, USB, wireless) is connected to this, my home offce pc, via USB.  Just this week, including tonight again while 25-30 poeple were over for the SB party, my USB connection to my HomePortal is no longer recognized, or when it is it comes up as "limited or unconnected".  I am suspecting a virus of some sort.  I ran Norton and it scanned clean, and finally when I rebooted both the pc and the HomePortal independently, then reconnected the USB twice, it connected.  I have changed nothing about my pc, it runs WinXp, has been fine for many many months....now this.  Wierd.

Ted

Levi

Re: Windows XP USB device detection failure
« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2005, 05:18 am »
Hey there,

What is your service pack level?  You mentioned it used to work...hmmm...what was the change?

Levi
Quote from: Bemopti123
Hi all, I would like to know what is happening to my USB ports, when I am trying to either connect flash memory readers or my digital camera via one of the front or back ports.  My computer is a Dell Dimension 8300 with Windows XP on it, but what once used to work, now it does not.  Usually Win XP used to detect and wire these devices automatically, but now, it says that it does not recognize and that the devices failed.  What does this mean?  Can it be possible that all 3 devices failed together, or what?  ...

Bemopti123

« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2005, 05:22 am »
As Setman said, maybe it is time to move on to more reliable things such as a Mac.  Funny to think that around 1990 and until about 1996, I had been using a series of Mac, from the first Mac Classic Color, like those smaller famous Macs with just about 4MB and 20 MB hard drive to a Apple Book, the smaller notebook, which I sold back in 1997 when I left Grad School.  Now, after about 3 comps, from a HP PII, on to a non brand PIII 550 MHZ and now, a P4 clocking around 2.66 MHZ, I am getting really fed up with this sort of "non recognizing" garbage.  There is no reason why such a large corporation is not able to get their programming straight and sell such obviously reprehensible and defective product to people.  I am surprised that there has not been a mass law suit against the defects of Microsoft Windows, which give away secrets and info to hackers everywhere.  Maybe all the money that Microsoft makes goes to have a large bunch of corporate lawyers who are scheming in the ways in which the company can get away with selling such flawed system.  Today, I am totally venting against Microsoft, because there is no one else to blame for this sort of problem.  

Setman, do you find that you get enough software or use with the Powerbook in contrast to your former PC based computer?

Bemopti123

« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2005, 05:23 am »
Levi, I have all the latest and NOT so greatest service packs as I have downloaded them automatically this past November, if I am not wrong.  Gosh, I despise Windows when this sort of things happen.

Levi

« Reply #8 on: 7 Feb 2005, 06:15 am »
Good to know you are keeping with the Microsoft updates.  There are probably 15+ updates since last November.  Anyway, the most significant one is SP2 for Windows XP.  What was the change?  You said it used to work.  What was the change prior to it not working.  This is minor issue that can be fixed.

You should upgrade to a Mac immediately and give your PC to me :lol:

Levi, I have all the latest and NOT so greatest service packs as I have downloaded them automatically this past November, if I am not wrong.  Gosh, I despise Windows when this sort of things happen.

Bemopti123

« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2005, 04:24 am »
Hey Levi, the PC USB shit is driving me insane.  I cannot believe that I am keeping up with the updates and this sort of garbage happens.  Wish I could do this, the upgrade I am.  I am looking at some Macs, especially the laptop ones, the ones at 17" are obscene, great, almost like carrying a TV with you.  The price though it is prohibite, at least for now.  Maybe someone can check out WHAT is really wrong with this USB situation.  It seems as if after the XP2 pack, the devices went Kaput.  I do not get it.  Maybe you have more expertise than I.  Yup, even as a joke, if I get the Mac, maybe you can do me the favor of troubleshooting this problem.  

Paul

BTW, do we know if we are going up to Zybar's this Saturday?

Levi

« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2005, 04:33 am »
Yes I planned to show up.  Bring your pc and the usb device. ;)
Hey Levi, the PC USB shit is driving me insane.  I cannot believe that I am keeping up with the updates and this sort of garbage happens.  Wish I could do this, the upgrade I am.  I am looking at some Macs, especially the laptop ones, the ones at 17" are obscene, great, almost like carrying a TV with you.  The price though it is prohibite, at least for now.  Maybe someone can check out WHAT is really wrong with this USB situation.  It seems as if after the XP2 pack, the devices went Kaput.  I do not get it. ...