The Beatles Blue Box Set BC13

SET Man

The Beatles Blue Box Set BC13
« on: 11 Oct 2019, 05:28 pm »
Hey!

First it is crazy how many versions of the same Beatles albums are out there! Even now there are still releasing new version of the same album. I've know about the blue box set for a while now, knowing that they all were cut from analog tape before they start to cut albums from digital in the '90s. Since I've already have some Beatles LPs on Mo-Fi and Japanese Toshiba press, so I didn't really pay much attention to it.

Well, since I can't help it, I recently acquired a BC13 box set of which are pressed in the UK. Unfortunately the seller did a very poor packing job and the outside box now have a slight tear to one of the corner. And the seller charged me $12 over the actual postage, I usually don't mind that if is packed well. Luckily the LPs and covers sleeves inside are intact and fine. Also, there is a light surface scratch on one of the album and as always on the songs I like! But it play fine with slight audible ticks for only a few seconds. The good news is that beside that the rest are in mint condition! Yes, posters and pictures are in there also.

After some research, look like my box set were pressed in the mid '80s. Well, an earlier one would be nice but than I would risk having one that had been played through death. Now I'm wondering if any of you here have this set and how you feel about it? Especially of you have compared the early set to the later set?

Anyway, the seller apologized and willing to except return. Even though it is a later pressing, I feel that even with that one minor surface scratch, I think it will be hard to find another one in this condition.

Buddy

orthobiz

Re: The Beatles Blue Box Set BC13
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2019, 10:40 pm »
roscoeiii turned me on to a reasonably priced blue box in Chicago a few years ago.

I like it but my Abbey Road is scratch and skippy on one side.

I won't part with mine!

Paul

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2019, 11:28 pm »
Hey Buddy -

I've had my Blue Box Parlaphone set since the mid-late 80's I believe. A friend & I used to purchase sets mail order from an outfit whose name I don't remember now. Been a while since I ran thru the albums, but don't recall any disappointment with the quality. Around the same time, from the same source I picked up a Miles Davis box set, his Prestige recordings. Also got a Cream Box Set, all Deustche Grammaphone pressings (very nice), and a Beethoven Box Set. While I enjoy & appreciate the Beatles, was never rabid about them, so only had a copy of Sgt. Peppers prior to the set. As such can't compare verses the many other versions out there. If one's enjoys them it's definitely a keeper imo.

Keep 'em spinning.
 :rock:

JD

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2019, 01:17 am »
roscoeiii turned me on to a reasonably priced blue box in Chicago a few years ago.

I like it but my Abbey Road is scratch and skippy on one side.

I won't part with mine!

Paul

Hey!

Funny, the Abbey Road copy in my set also have a scratch, but it is just a surface scratch barely notice when play... actually if anyone is bother by this I think they should not be listening to vinyl. Other than that one, all the rest of LPs are in mint!

Hey Buddy -

I've had my Blue Box Parlaphone set since the mid-late 80's I believe. A friend & I used to purchase sets mail order from an outfit whose name I don't remember now. Been a while since I ran thru the albums, but don't recall any disappointment with the quality. Around the same time, from the same source I picked up a Miles Davis box set, his Prestige recordings. Also got a Cream Box Set, all Deustche Grammaphone pressings (very nice), and a Beethoven Box Set. While I enjoy & appreciate the Beatles, was never rabid about them, so only had a copy of Sgt. Peppers prior to the set. As such can't compare verses the many other versions out there. If one's enjoys them it's definitely a keeper imo.

Keep 'em spinning.
 :rock:

JD

I listened to a few last night and they sound very good indeed.  And surprisingly pretty quiet. And I believe that these are the last know Beatles LPs cut from analog tape.

I actually have 3 copies of Abbey Road now.. '90s Capital pressing I picked up from the Tower Record, Japanese Toshiba press from the '70s I think and now this UK press from this box set. I also have Mo-Fi press of "Please Please Me", "Help" and "Beatles for Sale"  I haven't compared them but it will be interesting... but I think the '90s Capital could be from digital file.

Anyway, I'm still working with the seller to see if they will refund me the over charge shipping cost and maybe compensate for the a bit of a damage cost by inadequate packing. Since all vinyls are in mint, except the Abbey Road with a slight surface scratch that's not too bad I think the set is a keeper... well until I find a better set, but I know that won't be easy.

Buddy

orientalexpress

« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2019, 02:02 am »
I have Uk blue box,Japanese pressing and the new mono box set and the best sounding is  MoFi box set .

mhconley

« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2019, 12:10 am »
I recently purchased the blue box set off eBay. It’s the non-numbered British release. The LPs are all easily EX+ and play beautifully. I think I got a good deal. I also purchase a German Horzu copy of Magical Mystery Tour at the same time. The cover is if fair condition and split along the bottom. Fortunately the vinyl plays EX. The stereo mix is bizarre when compared to my MOFI copy. Anyway, I’ve never owned the Beatles catalog on vinyl. I have only ever owned the red (1962-1966) and blue (1967-1970) albums. Glad I picked up this box set.

Martin