Rumble filter to protect sub?

Saturn94

Rumble filter to protect sub?
« on: 25 Sep 2019, 07:36 pm »
Recently my spouse asked if I would hook up his old turntable (inexpensive/lower end model) to the main system so he can listen to his old vinyl on the main system (it was hooked up to the computer upstairs).

It works well, but I’m concerned about protecting the sub drivers in case of any bumps or sloppy cartridge handling.

I thought maybe something like this would help?

https://www.amazon.com/Harrison-Labs-Inline-Subsonic-Crossover/dp/B00S8XXYHC/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=rumble+filter&qid=1569439627&s=gateway&sprefix=rumble+filter&sr=8-4

Yes? No?

Thanks.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Rumble filter to protect sub?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2019, 07:40 pm »
This may seem obvious, but... why not just turn off the sub if it's only an occasional thing?

rofo

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2019, 07:41 pm »
The cheapest thing to do is turn off the sub. There isn't any sub-low freq. on a record anyway.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2019, 08:10 pm »
There isn't any sub-low freq. on a record anyway.
That’s not true.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2019, 08:29 pm »
Hi Saturn,
  Before cd's came out I had a Dahlquist subwoofer. As well as an Ace crossover I also used an Ace subsonic filter. It needed an outlet. I'll see what I can find, maybe Ebay....Mark.

Saturn94

« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2019, 10:56 pm »
The cheapest thing to do is turn off the sub. There isn't any sub-low freq. on a record anyway.

This may seem obvious, but... why not just turn off the sub if it's only an occasional thing?

Thanks for the replies. :)

Remembering to turn the sub on and off isn’t a practical option for us.  Besides, I don’t want to kill the bass entirely.

Saturn94

« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2019, 11:00 pm »
That’s not true.

:thumb:  Plenty of records have low bass.

Rolling off below 30hz would be fine for turntable use, which is why I ask about the linked filters.  Is a rolloff of 12db an octave enough?

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 25 Sep 2019, 11:02 pm »
Hi Saturn,
  Before cd's came out I had a Dahlquist subwoofer. As well as an Ace crossover I also used an Ace subsonic filter. It needed an outlet. I'll see what I can find, maybe Ebay....Mark.

Thanks. :)

I’d prefer a passive, simple solution if possible (running out of plugs! :D ).

S Clark

« Reply #8 on: 25 Sep 2019, 11:13 pm »
In that case, I think you've found your best, cheap solution.  It should remove some, maybe all of your rumble.  Likely other remedies could be pursued as well.  I'd bet you could find ways to dampen your partner's turntable or tonearm.  Plasti-clay is cheap and effective.

Saturn94

« Reply #9 on: 25 Sep 2019, 11:21 pm »
In that case, I think you've found your best, cheap solution.  It should remove some, maybe all of your rumble.  Likely other remedies could be pursued as well.  I'd bet you could find ways to dampen your partner's turntable or tonearm.  Plasti-clay is cheap and effective.

I’m not familiar with Plasti-clay.  I’ll have to check that out.

S Clark

« Reply #10 on: 25 Sep 2019, 11:41 pm »
Search "plasticlay" here.  You'll find dozens of threads about using it to dampen turntables and tonearms.  Many, including myself, have used it to good effect. 
Usually you can find it cheaper at Walmart ---  https://www.amazon.com/Plast-i-Clay-Modeling-Color-Block-1838050MA/dp/B015TB4NYI/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=plasticlay&qid=1569454921&sr=8-1

Saturn94

« Reply #11 on: 25 Sep 2019, 11:44 pm »
Search "plasticlay" here.  You'll find dozens of threads about using it to dampen turntables and tonearms.  Many, including myself, have used it to good effect. 
Usually you can find it cheaper at Walmart ---  https://www.amazon.com/Plast-i-Clay-Modeling-Color-Block-1838050MA/dp/B015TB4NYI/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=plasticlay&qid=1569454921&sr=8-1

Thanks for the info and link. :)

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #12 on: 26 Sep 2019, 12:45 am »
I bought these for my sons system and they work great.  Haven't noticed any degradation in sound and no hums.  They go inline with the RCA's.  They cut off 25hz and below.  He was getting woofer chuffing and these worked like a charm.

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/60042/DB_Systems-DB_Systems_Subsonic_Filter-Turntable_Accessories

Saturn94

« Reply #13 on: 26 Sep 2019, 01:23 am »
I bought these for my sons system and they work great.  Haven't noticed any degradation in sound and no hums.  They go inline with the RCA's.  They cut off 25hz and below.  He was getting woofer chuffing and these worked like a charm.

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/60042/DB_Systems-DB_Systems_Subsonic_Filter-Turntable_Accessories

BobM

« Reply #14 on: 26 Sep 2019, 03:02 pm »
If you are getting a rumble (where the woofer is pushing in and out when there is no bass on the track or when there is otherwise quiet) then you might have a compliance mismatch between your cartridge and your arm. Happened to me. Instead of a rumble filter you should look into getting a cartridge that works properly with your arm.

S Clark

« Reply #15 on: 26 Sep 2019, 08:12 pm »
Good point.  Saturn described it as "old" and "lower end", but it may be time to list the table and the cartridge.  If it's a newish $79 table w/ Blu tooth package... or an old Dual with a basic Shure cartridge, the problems are likely to be different.

dB Cooper

« Reply #16 on: 26 Sep 2019, 10:50 pm »
If you are getting a rumble (where the woofer is pushing in and out when there is no bass on the track or when there is otherwise quiet) then you might have a compliance mismatch between your cartridge and your arm. Happened to me. Instead of a rumble filter you should look into getting a cartridge that works properly with your arm.

I see this with almost every vinyl setup at the audio shows I've attended. You'd think they'd know better but evidently not. I remember one room where the woofers were flopping back and forth like a freshly boated fish. I asked the exhibitor about it and their response was, "Oh, these woofers can take it." My point actually was, what was going on in his tube phono preamp while it was attempting to reproduce high-amplitude information at 3-5 Hz? I started to flip the subsonic switch to see what difference that would make, but I figured if they didn't care about their display or sound, why should I.

gefski

« Reply #17 on: 26 Sep 2019, 11:19 pm »
Yes, I've seen this for many years during "silent" portions whenever an lp is playing. In fact, it will show as well with a blank disk. It, of course, is occurring when music is playing as well. Lots of amplifier power is being wasted on this non-musical information. Since it can be visibly "cured" with a subsonic filter, the question becomes does such a filter cause audible problems at higher frequencies? If one has a switchable subsonic filter, extensive a/b-ing may provide an answer for a given system.

Saturn94

« Reply #18 on: 26 Sep 2019, 11:21 pm »
Rumble really hasn't been an issue so far.  I’m mainly concerned about accidental bumps/needle drops.

The turntable is an Audio-Technica AT-LP60-USB.  It came with an Audio-Technica cartridge already installed.

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turntables/085561cf849acaa9/index.html

Saturn94

« Reply #19 on: 26 Sep 2019, 11:23 pm »
Yes, I've seen this for many years during "silent" portions whenever an lp is playing. In fact, it will show as well with a blank disk. It, of course, is occurring when music is playing as well. Lots of amplifier power is being wasted on this non-musical information. Since it can be visibly "cured" with a subsonic filter, the question becomes does such a filter cause audible problems at higher frequencies? If one has a switchable subsonic filter, extensive a/b-ing may provide an answer for a given system.

Audiophile quality audio isn’t a concern in this situation.  :thumb: