New midwoofer - availability?

Marbles

« Reply #20 on: 24 Feb 2005, 11:57 pm »
I vitrified the outsides last week, and I did the insides tonight...they are drying out right now.

I agree, it really clears up not only the lower registers, but seemed to make some of the midrange and HF's seem cleaner.  Not sure how it did that...

Corbin Johnson

« Reply #21 on: 25 Feb 2005, 08:14 pm »
Marbles,

Please let me know if you learn that there is a positive vs negative way to install the caps.  I didn't pay any attention when I installed my Auricap upgrade.  Everything seems fine.

The Elmers glue tweek for the passives has been one of the best upgrades I've made.  Certainly better than the Lambswool upgrade and almost as good of an improvement as the Auricaps.  Not bad for a free tweek.

Marbles

« Reply #22 on: 25 Feb 2005, 10:30 pm »
Yes, there is a positive and negative side to the caps.

The caps are marked with a "+" on the positive side.  BC also attaches a wire to them, red for positive, and red with a green stripe for negative.

My complications came about because on one set of caps, the "+" side had a red with green striped wire.  We went with the cap markings.

So far the there is a definate increase in midbass.

Corbin Johnson

« Reply #23 on: 28 Feb 2005, 02:16 pm »
Thanks Marbles,

I went back to the photos in my Gallery and noticed that the leads on my Auricaps are red on one end of the caps and black on the other.  I assume the red are the positive.  I'll check to see if I connected them correctly when I add the caps for the mid woofer upgrade.

Corbin Johnson

« Reply #24 on: 2 Mar 2005, 02:05 pm »
I checked and three out of four of my caps were installed backwards with the black wire connected to the positive speaker terminal.  I rewired two mids caps and one tweeter cap.  Unfortunately, they sounded slightly better and more open and airy before the change.  I wonder if the caps now have to break in again?  Also, it could be my rushed solder job.  I even twisted and electrical taped one joint instead of soldering, knowing that I'd be doing it again once the mid woofer upgrade arrives.  I also noticed that the stock caps do not appear to have a positive and negative, so I wonder how important it is to have the Auricaps wired with the correct polarity?  Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Corbin

Corbin Johnson

« Reply #25 on: 3 Mar 2005, 02:25 am »
I Emailed Big B and he said if I like the caps reversed that's OK, but unsoldered joints are likely the problem if the sound has deteriorated.  I resoldered all joints and the sound is great again.  I should have Emailed Brian first and then I probably would not have embarked on this exercise.  But, my soldering skills are getting better.