Measurements and marketing hype. What do you guys think of this one?

Captainhemo

I like  this one  and,  I thinkit's going to be interesting  to see how it goes over as I know there are a lot of folks  out there who are really  hung up  on this stuff,  especially the  distortion  measurements.

funny  thing  about   moving the mic closer to get a more  accurate   reading/measurement of the distortion is that  by  moving  the mic closer, one is dramatically reducing the power output needed to maintain a consistent SPL of  any  given  number (say  90 db).  by cutting the measuring distance in half,  you'd gain 6 db.  To maintain 90 db only  1/4 of the  original power  ( assuming my math is correct  :LOL: ) would be needed and reduce the workload on  the driver and lower the distortion anyway. 

Going  even further, I think most of the  time these measurements  would be  attempted  at  1m or less which wouldn't  require much   power to reach 90db.  If say you  had the  anechoic chamber, would it not make much more sense to  do any  such measurement  at a more  realalistic listening distance to put a more realistic workload on the  driver ?

jay

cody69

Great information Danny. Really appreciate you taking time to share your knowledge with the rest of us.
I'm looking forward to next week to learn how to interpret those graphs you often post and understand what they mean.  :thumb:

revg1952

Continue to carry on my knowledge friend.
Gary

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
I like how you talk about things that don't matter that much & then follow it up by talking about things that do.  Can't wait to hear next week's follow up.