Class D amplification (digital) and phono stage performance.

FreedomJazzDance

Hello to all,

This days I was thinking about, how is the phono stage performance, when using Class D amplification (digital), like on a Technics integrated amp SU-G700 for example, where the phono signal s converted to digital inside the amp, and back to analog again on the output.

This will change drastically the external phono stage sound signature? or how will be the performance (in case of this Technics integrated for example), where the phono stage is built in?

It's really a compromise to the phono signal?

Thanks to all, best regards.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Class D amplification (digital) and phono stage performance.
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2019, 12:04 pm »
In general the analog source crowd prefers to keep the entire signal chain analog, more out of a philosophical basis than anything else. 

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2019, 01:12 pm »
I really wouldn't call it physiological at all. It just makes sense that the naturalness you hear with records is due to the analogue nature of it. Why would you digitize that? You lose the benefits of analogue and retain it's drawbacks. It can't improve the signal.

Stay analogue in the analogue domain and you can do what you want in the digital domain with a digital source.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2019, 02:08 pm »
I really wouldn't call it physiological at all. It just makes sense that the naturalness you hear with records is due to the analogue nature of it. Why would you digitize that? You lose the benefits of analogue and retain it's drawbacks. It can't improve the signal.

Stay analogue in the analogue domain and you can do what you want in the digital domain with a digital source.

"Philosophical" not "physiological". 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2019, 03:18 pm »
The NuPrime IDA8 also digitizes the analog phono signal.  They gave some silly reason for it, one that I can't recall, I assume because they're using some off the shelf technology that requires it.  And having not heard it in practice I'd have to agree with JLM that opposition to digitizing the signal is philosophical, however I think that's good enough in a purchasing decision.  If we're discussing whether it makes a difference then we'd need some data, but just deciding that I don't want my analog phono signal digitized out of general principals is totally valid.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2019, 03:43 pm »
Hello to all,

This days I was thinking about, how is the phono stage performance, when using Class D amplification (digital), like on a Technics integrated amp SU-G700 for example, where the phono signal s converted to digital inside the amp, and back to analog again on the output.

This will change drastically the external phono stage sound signature? or how will be the performance (in case of this Technics integrated for example), where the phono stage is built in?

It's really a compromise to the phono signal?

Thanks to all, best regards.

Yes, IME it's not ideal to convert a phono signal to digital then back to analog.  But I also know that the only thing that really matters is the final result.  Some amps sound good, others don't.  The only way to be sure is to try it. 

Me?  I'm a tube guy, so I have a bias against digital amps.  But I know even digital amps CAN sound very good, as the Digital Audio Company (DAC) amps have proven the last 3 times I heard them at RMAF.  So maybe the Technics will sound great too.  I'd suggest trying it out in your system to see if you like it.  The extra conversion may or may not have a deleterious affect. 

rooze

« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2019, 04:43 pm »
I think just knowing that our precious little signal is being roughly chopped up and rendered as ones and zeros is enough for most of us to convince ourselves that it can’t possibly sound good. Some things were just not meant to be.
Keep analog analog.

Rooze

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2019, 07:26 pm »
Away with bias and bigotry, this hobby is about satiating the ear. If it sounds good, then it is good! Life is better without unsubstantiated philosophical ideas posing as principles. If you like what you hear, that’s ALL that matters, be happy and ignore all the fools and their pedestrian wisdom.   :green:

FreedomJazzDance

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2019, 10:23 am »
Thanks for all the contributions, Yes, I also think that don't make much sense the phono signal be converted to digital and analog again, but I'm very curious to hear by myself some of this amps, like Devialet for example...