Stereo Maraschino specs? 48v compared to 60v

AvsFan

Stereo Maraschino specs? 48v compared to 60v
« on: 9 Aug 2019, 03:51 pm »
So I have had the Stereo Maraschino for over a month now and am highly impressed! What a superb amp. I have the 48v version right now and have it paired up with some super efficient and easy to drive ZU Audio Omen Dirty Weekends. The combo is amazing. I did try it with my new Magnepan LRS’s but wasn’t quite enough juice. And as I understand the STM in 48v form puts out 125 watts per channel into 4ohms. I have always heard Maggie’s are demanding and now I am experiencing that for myself. So I am upping the power supply to 60v. Which the specs on that is 400 watts per channel at 4ohms. Which if that isn’t enough to easily drive the Maggie’s, I simply give up. Lol :D :D
My question though is, can someone explain to me how the amp can go from 125 watts to nearly 4 times that at 400 watts? And that increased power to the STM, are there any concerns of it putting too much of a load on that amp? Especially driving power and current hungry Maggie’s?

AmpDesigner333

• Facilitator
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: Stereo Maraschino specs? 48v compared to 60v
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2019, 09:47 pm »
So I have had the Stereo Maraschino for over a month now and am highly impressed! What a superb amp. I have the 48v version right now and have it paired up with some super efficient and easy to drive ZU Audio Omen Dirty Weekends. The combo is amazing. I did try it with my new Magnepan LRS’s but wasn’t quite enough juice. And as I understand the STM in 48v form puts out 125 watts per channel into 4ohms. I have always heard Maggie’s are demanding and now I am experiencing that for myself. So I am upping the power supply to 60v. Which the specs on that is 400 watts per channel at 4ohms. Which if that isn’t enough to easily drive the Maggie’s, I simply give up. Lol :D :D
My question though is, can someone explain to me how the amp can go from 125 watts to nearly 4 times that at 400 watts? And that increased power to the STM, are there any concerns of it putting too much of a load on that amp? Especially driving power and current hungry Maggie’s?
No problems here driving Magnepan 1.7i with the 60V STM!

Regarding power output, Pout = Vout^2/R, so you'd expect 4 times the power from TWICE the voltage, not 1.25 times the voltage!  Well, the limitation at 48V of the STM is from the power supply itself, which can output about 260W peak.  That drives BOTH channels plus the other circuitry in the amp.  Desktop and In-Line Maraschinos have individual power supplies for each channel, so they can output about 250W into 4Ω per channel.  Our 60V 1kW power supply can output enough power to drive BOTH channels to 400W into 4Ω in the case of the Stereo Maraschino (STM).