CASSETTES ANYBODY ????

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
CASSETTES ANYBODY ????
« on: 6 Aug 2019, 02:22 pm »
  It has been a loooooong time since I played a cassette. Found a box in storage with lots of cassettes. Compared to a SACD of same recording and was taken back that the cassette just sounded more natural.
Granted the SACD was remastered to DSD from analog and sometimes not better. I found a AAD CD [ 44.1] version of same recording and the gap narrowed but still no cigar.
Cassettes still matter check it out again.

charles

Phil A

Re: CASSETTES ANYBODY ????
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2019, 02:56 pm »
Still have my cassettes (and a cheapo deck that's not hooked up along with a dBX unit - I gave away my old good Nakamichi 680ZX many moons ago to a sales guy at an audio store who did me many favors).  Some store bought ones and an audiophile one or two but most were probably recordings of audiophile vinyl when I first got the albums (some are in Dolby B and some in dBX).  Have not listened in many years.  I think I listened to a couple of tapes about a decade back in a spare system.  It's just a case of buying many new things (e.g. equipment and music downloads).  I probably should at least re-visit what albums I have on the cassettes to see if hi-rez discs (got rid of my turntable in 1983) or downloads are available.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2019, 02:58 pm »
I probably actually also have the below in a bin in my garage

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2019, 03:18 pm »
Give them a go again Phil.

charles

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 6 Aug 2019, 03:34 pm »
Yes Charles, it can be surprising what a well recorded cassette still sounds like. I've had two cassette decks serviced in the last year. A discrete 3 head Nak 581, and sandwich 3 head Harmon Kardon TD-392, original owner of both. I had loads of old cassettes still sitting around as all my vehicles have cassette decks in them, 99% self recorded from lp as you noted. I've even A/B 'd against the CD in a few cases with a friend who's way more critical than myself, and he was pretty amazed at how good the tape sounded. Of course they are subject to all the usual suspects- mechanism failure, dirty tape head, bad transfer during recording, and degradation from use, but a well recorded tape still sounds very good to me. Heresy to many I'm sure, but worth checking out if you have a nice old deck & some well recorded tapes laying around. Actually heard a report on the radio the other day that while cassettes are a miniscule portion of overall music sales, they are up over 100% a year the last couple of years.

I too have one of these that needs service sitting in a drawer. Used to use it when skiing.

Enjoy the music, whatever the format gents.   :thumb:       
« Last Edit: 7 Aug 2019, 05:03 pm by ArthurDent »

toocool4

« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2019, 02:37 pm »
I still use them every day for my daily commute to and from work. I rotate weekly between Sony’s WM-D6C, DC2 and DD9.
For my recordings I use my Nakamichi CR-7 onto TDK MA-XG's, which I still have a stockpile of unopened ones.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2019, 04:49 pm »
Have a Denon tape deck and my Walkman is somewhere.

Got a few cassettes here with me. Most are back home in my closet. I have a few live rave sets from the 90s split up between as well.

This is when events were raves with real DJs and not festivals with superstar producers. It was people who regularly enjoyed that music and not just posers.

I was there. Spent most of the time in the Techno tent. I would never sell it because it is a favorite.

All others can be negotiated for.

OzarkTom

« Reply #7 on: 7 Aug 2019, 05:28 pm »
I started selling used cassettes on Ebay. At one yard sale I bought 425 cassettes, like new and some new for 18 cents each. At another I bought 40 for $2 total. I am not making a fortune, but every dollar helps. :thumb:

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 7 Aug 2019, 06:43 pm »
What are the average cassettes worth?

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 7 Aug 2019, 07:15 pm »
  Actually in the UK making a big come back. Used should be $2-$4 depending on condition.  I drive a 98 Merc Marqui , my living room on wheels to chill and drive slow. The cassette player just brings back good sound and great memories.

charles

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 7 Aug 2019, 07:56 pm »
I saw new cassettes in Urban Outfitters. I do have to question the quality of the magnetic tape in the newer ones.

https://cassettestoredayusa.com/