Modwright Sony 999ES Break-in Survey

MarkR7

« on: 3 Feb 2005, 09:06 pm »
Greetings all!

I am the proud new owner of a 999ES with the Platinum Sig Truth Mods.  Got it yesterday!  

I know I have a ways to go, but I'm just curious on how long it took your players to reach their full potential, and what your process was for breaking them in.

Thanks!

gongos

« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2005, 09:12 pm »
Play as much music as possible as quickly as possible.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2005, 09:15 pm »
Make sure the analog outs (tubed outputs) are carrying a signal to the pre (pre doesn't need to be on, just connected), and run the thing on repeat for a good 100+ hrs.  The caps are in the main unit so the tubes (switch on power supply) don't need to be powered on, just the main unit.  Mine settled into gorgeousness about 200 hrs.

Ted

MarkR7

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2005, 09:15 pm »
Running it 24 / 7!!

MarkR7

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2005, 09:18 pm »
Ted,

Wouldn't you want the tube power supply on as well for burning in the caps, transformer, and tubes?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2005, 09:22 pm »
The BG caps are in the main player, and are the signal path gremlins early on.  The tubes break in in a matter of a few hrs max, and the "lesser" caps in the power supply will be done in less than 40 hrs or so.  Dan may want to add his $.02 (ok...for Dan, $2.5M).
Ted

P.S.  Congrats, Mark, it's an incredible machine...and the video isn't bad, either, due to Dan's loving care and the Bybee AC's.

MarkR7

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2005, 09:51 pm »
Thanks Ted!

I hope my modded 999ES is as good as it's reputation!

It's going up against some pretty tough competition, in the form of my Audio Aero DAC.  The AA DAC is a tremendous redbook performer in my system.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2005, 11:43 pm »
Yes, that DAC has a very good reputation (brand new 6moons review/preview).  It will be VERY interesting to hear your feedback, but only after burning in those caps for the next few weeks.  A 24/7 approach really isn't that bad, becuase neither the amp nor the 999ES's power supply need to be on.  Obviously, listen to it during whatever waking hours; I'm not recommending you shy away from it during break-in, only realize that it's partially handicapped.

Ted

Levi

« Reply #8 on: 4 Feb 2005, 12:20 am »
It should sound good already.   8)

gongos

« Reply #9 on: 4 Feb 2005, 12:26 am »
Mine sounded great from day 1.

MarkR7

« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2005, 12:44 am »
It's just ok, nothing really to write home about yet.....and certainly nowhere near to what its potential should be / will be after break-in. This based on my friend, Bon's, modded 9000ES which really sounds wonderful.

I guess my initial impression is really based on what I'm used to listening to, and knowing what the 9000ES is like.

Dan confirmed that the things I'm hearing (not hearing) are characterisitics of the modded 999ES going thru burn-in.

I can be patitent :wink:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 4 Feb 2005, 12:48 am »
Where will the Aero DAC be in your new configuration?  Was the Modwright bought to potentially replace it?  

Ted

MarkR7

« Reply #12 on: 4 Feb 2005, 02:35 am »
I am hoping that the 999ES with its great SACD and video capabilities along with excellent redbook performance will be the ticket to replacing the Audio Aero.

Unfortunately, I cannot keep both.

Belvadere

« Reply #13 on: 4 Feb 2005, 11:09 pm »
Mine sounded pretty good right off, but I played it almost 24/7 and noticed substantial improvements at about the 50 hour mark, then again at the 100 mark and again at the 200 mark. Now I'm playing with tubes, but that's another story. I've had lots of vinyl guys sit in amazement at the warmth/detail of the sound. They'd swear they were listening to vinyl, not digital. Good luck. Enjoy the ride.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 5 Feb 2005, 02:36 am »
Yeah, I'm playing with tubes myself.  The Amperex PQ 7119's that Levi recommended (and Dan concurred) are not my cup of tea for some reason.  I like the orginals better.  Warmer, I guess, which isn't always a good thing, but for my system and it's leanings, it is so far.

Ted