Ava set 400 on ebay

Hydro

Re: Ava set 400 on ebay
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2019, 01:35 am »
Snagged it, going to use it with some Alta Hestia's I recently purchased. I also have a R400 and will see which one works best.

jmc207

« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2019, 02:00 am »
Snagged it, going to use it with some Alta Hestia's I recently purchased. I also have a R400 and will see which one works best.

Congratulations! Hope you'll post some comments comparing the SET 400 with your 400R.

Hydro

« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2019, 02:45 am »
Will do.

AvsFan

« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2019, 04:26 pm »

Nice catch!!!!! I just bought a pair of Maggie LRS’s and needed a great amp to pair them with and This is the amp I have my heart set on. $2100 right now isn’t doable. But $1500, I would have made it work! Enjoy and post impressions and a review!!!!

Hydro

« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2019, 06:37 pm »
I was really surprised to see one up for sale. I heard the SET amp at the Chicago audio show and it sounded great. I will post my findings when the amp and speakers arrive. As a great spare and an amp that won't have any trouble running the Maggies I would suggest something like Denon POA 2200 or 2400 off the bay. They are good into 2 ohms and put out tons of power.  I really couldn't find out what optical class A means, but the amp runs very cool at idle so it isn't true class A.

AvsFan

« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2019, 10:44 pm »
I was really surprised to see one up for sale. I heard the SET amp at the Chicago audio show and it sounded great. I will post my findings when the amp and speakers arrive. As a great spare and an amp that won't have any trouble running the Maggies I would suggest something like Denon POA 2200 or 2400 off the bay. They are good into 2 ohms and put out tons of power.  I really couldn't find out what optical class A means, but the amp runs very cool at idle so it isn't true class A.

Yeah. That is surprising but sometimes you come across great deals on EBay. Yeah, the SET 400 is hopefully the last amp I buy for 15years. But thanks for the info on those Denon’s. They look legit and affordable for right now.

Hydro

« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2019, 11:12 pm »
I checked on the back of my Denon and it was made in Japan, which isn't bad. The specs show 200 watts into 8 ohm, 400 into 4 ohm and 600 into 2 ohm. I listened to mine this afternoon on a nice 2 channel system and it sounded great, dead quiet, great dynamics and imaging. These were the top of the line stereo amps in the late 90's and cost over $1000, a lot for an amp at that time. They have volume controls on the cd input but the normal input sounds better to me.