Van Alstine 350EXR6

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
Van Alstine 350EXR6
« on: 3 Feb 2005, 07:10 pm »
WOW! This amp is incredible and more powerful. I have had this upgraded amp for about a week now and what a difference between the 350hc and the new and improved 350EXR6. The whole spectrum of sound has significant improvements in clearity, definition, airyness and imaging like I have never heard before. It seems like you could walk around the performer.
With the many years of building fine "No Gimick" audio products, Frank and his team must be overjoyed at what they have accomplished with these upgrades and reaching new heights and lows and all in between. I know I am.
Keep it up Frank!

jackman

Van Alstine 350EXR6
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2005, 07:18 pm »
Congratulations!  I see you have ACI speakers and AVA gear.  What types of music do you prefer?  It's good to see someone with an entire system made up of AC manufacturers' products.  How does that DAC compare to the one in your DVD player (I think that's a DVD player)?  I've never heard AVA DAC's but suspect they sound pretty darn good.  

I also like AVA's no hype approach to audio gear sales.  It's refreshing in this world of hype and marketing to know there are a still companies who don't play that game.

Cheers!

Jack

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Van Alstine 350EXR6
« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2005, 08:39 pm »
I have the 550exr5 and my sentiments mirror yours.  I've got mine powering the full range VMPS RM40's, which are tricky speakes for a single amp, as they require something very smooth, neutral, and resolving for the mids/highs (due to their extremely revealing nature and blinding speed), but also something with iron fisted control and power in the bass (due to their difficult dual woofer bass load and 26 hz extension).  The 550exr does both with ease.  In fact, after owning if for quite some time now, I've gotten off the upgrade and component switching merry-go-round I was on before.  I think this will be my last amp for quite a while still.

budyog

Van Alstine 350EXR6
« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2005, 09:50 pm »
Quote from: jackman
Congratulations!  I see you have ACI speakers and AVA gear.  What types of music do you prefer?  It's good to see someone with an entire system made up of AC manufacturers' products.  How does that DAC compare to the one in your DVD player (I think that's a DVD player)?  I've never heard AVA DAC's but suspect they sound pretty darn good.  

I also like AVA's no hype approach to audio gear sales.  It's refreshing in this world of hype and marketing to know there are a still companies who don't play that game.

Cheers!

Jack

Yes Jack, it is a DVD player. It is next on the list to replace. It is quite amazing how much different the AVA dac verses the built in dac in the Toshiba. You can switch back and forth and not seem to notice much but when you sit in the sweet spot and listen to each other for a while, then you can tell. The AVA dac seems to remove a layer of what I would call  "film" over the recorded music, opens it up and lets it breath more. I can imagine the Trancendence dac is even better.

I am mostly a "POP" music fan. Stuff like "Bowie, Finn Brothers, Genesis with some Willie & Lobo thrown in and I must say that I pulled out Adam Ant's "Wonderful" disc and what a great produced disc this is. It is one that when someone come's over to listen, it is a must play. I recomend it highly. It has super imaging and range, and many different sounds of instruments, vocals ect.  I have lots of concert dvds of 80s music with some 70s stuff.

jackman

Van Alstine 350EXR6
« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2005, 10:00 pm »
Hi Budy, welcome to AC.  I hope you stick around and tell us about your audio journey.  You have some cool stuff and I'm sure it sounds great.  How come you have a version 6 and Tyson has a 5?  Is there a difference or is that a typo?  

Tyson, you have stayed with your stuff for quite a while without a change.  That's rare in this hobby but always encouraging to all of us.  It's also no sirprise because you have a great system.   Hopefully, I'll get to hear it one of these days.   Haven't been to Colorado in nearly 2 years!  

Take care,

Jack

budyog

Van Alstine 350EXR6
« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2005, 10:16 pm »
Hey Jack, I will be around for long time. As I said, I just picked it up last week and apparently Frank even tweeked the 5 so now there is a 6. My manual say's 350EXR6. Knowing Frank, he has a lot more surprises up his sleave so there will maybe be a 16 or even a 26?
I think is great to have this upgrade option available. I picked this 350 up on E-Bay a month ago with the intent to upgrade is right away. But I also will probably be staying put for quite some time because it sounds sooooooooo good!

I gave both AVA and ACI a positive plug in a previous AC circle. Both are super companies.

Eric

Van Alstine 350EXR6
« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2005, 03:15 am »
Sounds like a great combo