Different speaker pairings and options with the SET 120?

AvsFan

So I have been on quite the amplifier search to pair with my new Magnepan LRS's. I tried an amp that I had, the NuForce STA-200. Didn't even come close to powering the Maggie's. There is no information on it about what power specs are into a 4ohm load. It clipped easily.
Then I went with a company here on AC. Digital Amplifier Company, The Stereo Maraschino. Obviously a lot better than the NuForce in every aspect but with the 48v power supply, got that amp to go into protection mode with the LRS's. These Maggie's are sure hard on amps! So as an experiment, I brought my ZU Audio Omen Dirty Weekends from my home theater room into the two channel room with the Stereo Maraschino just to see what would happen. WOW!!!!!!! Is all I have to say with that combo! Best I have ever heard the ZU's sound! Match made in heaven. So the ZU's are staying in that two channel system along with the Digital Amplifier Company equipment.
I have moved the Maggie's into the theater room. But obviously trying to power the Maggie's with my AVR is not the best option either. So I have a few different idea's and scenarios going on. My end game goal is to buy the SET 400. But that is a ways off. I can't afford $2000 right now, I can afford $900 though. So if I buy the SET 120, do you think it has enough power and current to run the Maggie's? I am assuming at 4ohms, it at least doubles to 120 watts per channel. Can I get a more specific number though? Is it 120, 105, 135? But main thing is, will it power the LRS's without clipping or shutting down?

Next question. This is temporary until I get the SET 400 to power the LRS's. So if I end up leaving the LRS's in the theater room, I plan on getting another pair of LRS's and mounting them on the wall on each side of the screen to make the center channel image. Can the SET 120 be ran in series to do that?

Next question. I may buy another pair of ZU Audio Omen Dirty Weekends for the theater room. If I do that, they are rated at 12ohm and 97db efficient. Is that a good match for the SET 120? What kind of power are we talking about at those specs? And going even a step further. ZU offers a 25ohm load resistor option. Would that be a good match for the 120 or just stick with the normal 12ohm impedance? Here is a link to the ZU Audio Dirty Weekend.

https://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/omen-dirty-weekend-2

I know a lot of questions all in one thread. But I am trying to be smart about this and prepare not only for now, but the future.

Thanks. 

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Different speaker pairings and options with the SET 120?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2019, 08:31 pm »
No, I don't think it has enough power.

I would look at one of these parasound amps-

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAC2250V2

Or go the used route. 

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2019, 08:42 pm »
Here is a good deal on audiogon-

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9g1bc-vincent-sp-331-stereo-power-amplifier-sp331-upgraded-inputs-19390-solid-state

150wpc at 8 ohms and 300 at 4 ohms.  Doubles its power, so  it has a robust power supply.  There are quite a few good deals for used amps on Agon right now.  Amps from ARC, Ayre, AVA Synergy 300 ( the synergy amps are great sounding amps, ask Frank about the 300's power at 4 ohms), Cambridge Audio 840w to name a few.

AvsFan

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2019, 09:16 pm »
Here is a good deal on audiogon-

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9g1bc-vincent-sp-331-stereo-power-amplifier-sp331-upgraded-inputs-19390-solid-state

150wpc at 8 ohms and 300 at 4 ohms.  Doubles its power, so  it has a robust power supply.  There are quite a few good deals for used amps on Agon right now.  Amps from ARC, Ayre, AVA Synergy 300 ( the synergy amps are great sounding amps, ask Frank about the 300's power at 4 ohms), Cambridge Audio 840w to name a few.

Are you the only one on this forum who pays attention to me?!?! I.? HAHAHA  :D

Yeah, the used market might not be a bad choice.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2019, 09:41 pm »
Are you the only one on this forum who pays attention to me?!?! I.? HAHAHA  :D

Yeah, the used market might not be a bad choice.

I am always happy to help out a fellow Magnepan owner.

Here is a review of that Vincent amp.  I have not personally heard one but they are supposed to sound great and perform above their price point.  It is a hybrid amp. 

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/vincent-audio-sa-31-preamplifier-and-sp-331-power-amplifier/?page=3

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 1 Aug 2019, 10:06 pm »
As for the Zu's, I used to own the B&W DM302's (91db with 5" mid-woofers) and an older AVA 60W amp - the MOSFET-D and holy crap, those things got LOUD!!!!

avahifi

« Reply #6 on: 1 Aug 2019, 10:32 pm »
Our SET 120 amp will be more than powerful enough for your ZU Audio Omen Dirty Weekends speakers.

It probably will be the minimum power needed for your Magnapans, but worth a try if you have that second use fallback.

Of course, all new AVA amps have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee so you don't have much risk, except shipping cost, to give one a try.

I am running a new one here today on my 83dB efficient 4 ohm Philharmonic 3 towers and getting all the level I want cleanly at rational levels.

Frank

AvsFan

« Reply #7 on: 1 Aug 2019, 11:33 pm »
Our SET 120 amp will be more than powerful enough for your ZU Audio Omen Dirty Weekends speakers.

It probably will be the minimum power needed for your Magnapans, but worth a try if you have that second use fallback.

Of course, all new AVA amps have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee so you don't have much risk, except shipping cost, to give one a try.

I am running a new one here today on my 83dB efficient 4 ohm Philharmonic 3 towers and getting all the level I want cleanly at rational levels.

Frank

Thanks Frank. Can you answer some of the other questions. Mainly about the 12ohm impedance of the ZU’s and the option of 25ohm load resistor option?

jmolsberg

« Reply #8 on: 1 Aug 2019, 11:46 pm »
I think the set 120 would have crushed with your omega speakers. They can certainly haunt you, they do me. I have a bonus room so I am interested.

danielgk

• AVA engineer/technicion
« Reply #9 on: 2 Aug 2019, 11:14 am »
AvsFan

The SET120 is happy driving any load from 4 ohms on up.  There would be no need to try and change a 12 ohm load to an 8 ohm load thinking it would be better for the amp.  You can expect about 45w into 12 ohms maximum power output from the SET120.  If you added the 25 ohm load resistor you would get slightly less power into the speakers, maybe 40w, and a large amount of power burned up in the load resistor, around 20w.

AvsFan

« Reply #10 on: 2 Aug 2019, 01:24 pm »
AvsFan

The SET120 is happy driving any load from 4 ohms on up.  There would be no need to try and change a 12 ohm load to an 8 ohm load thinking it would be better for the amp.  You can expect about 45w into 12 ohms maximum power output from the SET120.  If you added the 25 ohm load resistor you would get slightly less power into the speakers, maybe 40w, and a large amount of power burned up in the load resistor, around 20w.

Thanks. Whats the point of that load resistor then?

danielgk

• AVA engineer/technicion
« Reply #11 on: 2 Aug 2019, 01:48 pm »
The 25 load resistor, in parallel with the 12 ohm speaker, make a total load of (very close to) 8 ohms.  It would be for amps that HAVE to have an 8 ohm load.  I don't know what kind of amp that would be, as most amps don't have any issue with a load equal to or higher than the rated load impedance, but there is probably a market for such a device or else they wouldn't offer it.

Birdbrain

« Reply #12 on: 2 Aug 2019, 03:04 pm »
I use an SET 120 to power a pair of Spatial Audio M3 Triode Masters, a 12ohm, 93db rated speaker. I think it's a great combo. It should work well with the Omens. I'd want  something with more grunt to pair with Maggies.

AvsFan

« Reply #13 on: 2 Aug 2019, 03:36 pm »
I use an SET 120 to power a pair of Spatial Audio M3 Triode Masters, a 12ohm, 93db rated speaker. I think it's a great combo. It should work well with the Omens. I'd want  something with more grunt to pair with Maggies.

Yeah, the SET120 would be temporary until I got the SET 400. That should be enough grunt for the Maggie's. Then use the SET 120 for the ZU's.

But yeah, from the ampunt of time I have spent with the Maggie's, I can tell they NEED and REQUIRE very high quality, high powered and high current amps.

avahifi

« Reply #14 on: 2 Aug 2019, 08:24 pm »
I do have an excellent used Synergy 240 120W/Ch solid state amplifier available now at $899.  One year warrant and 30 day satisfaction guarantee.  It is the previous generation amp built in our big amp chassis with lots of heat sink.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #15 on: 2 Aug 2019, 08:36 pm »
I do have an excellent used Synergy 240 120W/Ch solid state amplifier available now at $899.  One year warrant and 30 day satisfaction guarantee.  It is the previous generation amp built in our big amp chassis with lots of heat sink.

Frank, what is the 4 ohm power rating?  Is it 240 wpc?  Is it the double die version?

Here is a nice review of the Synergy 450, it is spot on compared to my review.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0912/audio_by_van_alstine_synergy_450.htm

AvsFan

« Reply #16 on: 2 Aug 2019, 08:51 pm »

Thanks Frank.

AvsFan

« Reply #17 on: 2 Aug 2019, 08:53 pm »
Frank, what is the 4 ohm power rating?  Is it 240 wpc?  Is it the double die version?

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0912/audio_by_van_alstine_synergy_450.htm

So I am assuming same signature sound with just less power?

And yeah, if you can answer the question about the power at 4ohms, that would be helpful.

Thanks again for all the replies and options!

AvsFan

« Reply #18 on: 2 Aug 2019, 09:12 pm »

Doing some research on line.  New, it was $1199, is that correct? And I have seen "double die" pop up a couple of times. What is that? I would assume it has something to do with the casing?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #19 on: 2 Aug 2019, 10:59 pm »
Doing some research on line.  New, it was $1199, is that correct? And I have seen "double die" pop up a couple of times. What is that? I would assume it has something to do with the casing?

Read Frank's post here (first paragraph):
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113132.msg1176776#msg1176776