HT receiver with preamp outputs for under $500

PSP

« on: 3 Feb 2005, 07:02 pm »
I have a good 2.1 ch system for music.  For me, HT is a lower priority than music, but I would still like a moderate upgrade to my current cobbled-together HT system.

I am looking for a HT processor/receiver to power the surrounds and center (i.e., I only really need three new channels of amplification) and I want to use the HT receiver's preamp outputs to drive an AKSA 55N+ power amp and front mains for HT; the HT reciever's power amp would drive the rear surrounds and center channel.

For 2.1 ch music, I will bypass the HT receiver completely, i.e., CDP --> Aspen GK-1 preamp --> AKSA 55N+ amp -->Front mains.

This scheme would work, right?

I'm currently considering the Denon AVR-1905 at around $400, including shipping.  $500 (ok, maybe $550) is my absolute max.  I looked at the Pannasonic SA-XR50 and 70, but they don't appear to have preamp outputs.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Peter

MaxCast

« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2005, 07:22 pm »
Pioneer 1014

Does your GK-1 have a pass through?

PSP

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2005, 09:20 pm »
Max,
Yes, the GK-1 has a pass-through.

The Pioneer 1014 (VSX-1014TX... just to be sure) definitely looks like it will do the job.  Do you have one of these, or have some hands-on esperience with one?

I like the 1014... anything else I should consider in this price range?

Many thanks,
Peter

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2005, 01:52 am »
I'll second the Pioneer VSX-1014TX.

I've got a 912K in the house right now (along with a VSX-39TX). It's a great little unit. But the 1014TX is worth the extra $ as it's got the 5 band EQ for each channel in the MCACC, while the 912/914 doesn't.

audioslave

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2005, 03:03 am »
You might want to try this yamaha reciever (rxv650) as it lists for $549 (street price a lot cheaper) and offers pre-outs.
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/RXV650.htm

Martin

« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2005, 06:02 am »
Hi Peter
 I'm in this boat also. Thanks for the post.

Pricescan finds the Yamaha @ $344.95 in stock...28.62S&H
but no nothing of the reciever.

$342.00 for the Pioneer VSX-1014TX on pricegrabber...$34.13 S&H
These look really reasonable.

Peter, how could I use this with my TLP?
I agree that 2.1 is the place to live, but it's fun to step out for a night of
fun in home theater.
 Thanks
 Martin

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2005, 12:43 pm »
PSP, I don't have one.  I almost bought one but I found out the auto room correction dosen't work on the 5.1 input. :(

Others to consider are Denon, and Yamaha, but this Pioneer has many great reviews.  Many say it is a rebagged Pioneer Elite receiver.

PSP

« Reply #7 on: 4 Feb 2005, 02:20 pm »
Thanks, guys.... I think I'll go with the Pioneer 1014.  I really appreciate your good advice.

Martin,
I love (really love) my GK-1R, but I can't use the HT bypass in my house (currently, I've disabled it).  Many people use my system (and that's what I want) but when you hit the HT bypass button, whatever source is active is sent through to the power amp unattenuated... full volume.  I did that once by accident and was lucky not to blow a tweeter.  So, for HT fronts, from the HT preamp out, I will run it to the GK-1 as a standard source, set the GK-1 volume control in some standard position (like 12:00 or 3:00) and use the HT reciever's volume control for watching movies.

I realize that this is a bit grungy (two attenuators in the path for HT), but it will definitely be better than what I'm doing now.  Right now, my sub is run from the GK-1, and I will experiment with leaving it that way or running the HT reciever's LFE into my sub amp (the 1014 allows LFE xo to be set as low as 40Hz, my mains roll off at 35, this might work!).

Do you have a source selector implimented on your TLP?  If not, I can tell you how to do it.  I also did a sub out that works very well.

Thanks again guys, you have been very helpful.
Peter

PSP

Happy Camper with Pioneer VSX-1014TX
« Reply #8 on: 4 Mar 2005, 10:30 pm »
Well, I bought the Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K for $380 (shipping included) from dbuys.com, it arrived in excellent condition thee days later and overall, I'm very happy.  

Once the system is set up it is fairly easy to use and the audio and video seem to be very, very good (I only got things fully configured two nights ago and haven't had a chance yet to critically watch or listen).  Still, first impressions are very favorable.

The only downside is that this thing is huge compared to all my other gear... make sure that your rack is deep enough (remember to include an extra two inches to the rear for bananas... no room for spades!) and that you have room above for ventilation.  There is significant heat from this baby even at idle.

Thanks to MaxCast and Bubba for the excellent recommendation.  

Thanks again!
Peter

bubba966

« Reply #9 on: 5 Mar 2005, 07:06 am »
Glad to hear the 1014 is working well for you.

I'm helping out a friend with a receiver, and I'm having a hard time finding something better than the 1014 for price/features/performance. So it's looking like that's the way to go for them.

And yeah, make sure it's got enough ventilation. It does stay warm. Though it's not nearly as bad as the Yamaha I was looking at today (that sucker felt like a stovetop! :o ).

TIC

« Reply #10 on: 23 Mar 2005, 04:32 am »
I just ordered a Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K from J and R tonight for $349! I didn't really need a new HT receiver, but I thought I'd check it out after reading some great comments on AVS Forum and here.

I don't use my HT system for music because I have a dedicated 2-channel system in the room. I'm hoping the MACC and THX cert. help provide a better HT experience than I've had with my previous receiver.

But, if it doesn't float my boat, I'll unload it and try the next big thing........

Enjoy,

TIC

TIC

« Reply #11 on: 27 Mar 2005, 02:16 am »
I got the Pio 1014 yesterday. For $349 from J and R, it is a screaming good deal! The MCACC auto setup is awesome!

I sold my Panasonic DVD-XP30 last week and my new Sony DVP-NS755 won't show up until Tuesday, so I don't have a DVD player to try, but digital audio via my cable box sounds really good.

It's amazing what you can get for so little money today.

Enjoy,

TIC

TIC

« Reply #12 on: 5 May 2005, 12:11 am »
Just an update for anyone on the Pioneer VSX-1014TK fence (it's discontinued, so you better hurry!). I've had the Pioneer for a couple of months now and I'm very happy with it.

The MCACC made setup very easy. The unit sounds very good for all video sources. For the first time ever, I'm using video switching in the receiver and it works great! The 7-channel stereo mode is surprisingly good.

For well under $400, the Pioneer VSX-1014TK is "da bomb"! I've owned several more expensive receivers and overall I'm happier with the Pioneer than any others I've owned.

Enjoy,

TIC