Wait Time For Magnepan LRS???

audiojem

Wait Time For Magnepan LRS???
« on: 29 Jul 2019, 11:51 pm »
I ordered mine in mid May and was told 3-4 weeks reached out to them on June 18th and was told maybe another 2-3 weeks just wondered what kind of wait times have other members have experienced ?
Happy for Magnepans success with the LRS model but wish they had a better way to zero in on wait time.
Thanks
AJ

Saturn94

Re: Wait Time For Magnepan LRS???
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2019, 01:40 am »
I ordered mine in mid May and was told 3-4 weeks reached out to them on June 18th and was told maybe another 2-3 weeks just wondered what kind of wait times have other members have experienced ?
Happy for Magnepans success with the LRS model but wish they had a better way to zero in on wait time.
Thanks
AJ

So you ordered Mid May and still haven’t received them?

A week or so ago I was told the current wait time is 5-8 weeks.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2019, 02:22 am »
One problem I bet they are having is making other models too...
So they have this speaker selling like crazy, but they make almost no money on it. Then they also make other speakers.. $2000 $6000 $14500...
Do they make THOSE orders wait just as long? Or do they schedule them in 'sooner'? )
(I actually have no idea. but if it were my company, the money maker would get made sooner. and the schedule for the LRS gets stretched..
(I am assuming just about everyone there does various jobs... So the same workers make the various models. )
When I got 20.7s back last year. I waited about a month. But when they had to send me a new pair, that took only a week, (and the new serial number was 3 higher after a week) just to mention.

Anyway, it is a bummer to get told a time and then have it pass. Realize this is a really unusual time for Magnepan. I do not think they ever had something like this happen before. even when I wanted to buy my speakers, It was hard for them to say how long. And that was before the LRS stuff.

josh358

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2019, 04:24 pm »
I know they're backlogged on the 30.7, and apparently 20.7 sales are up too. So with the LRS selling like hotcakes I can see that they'd be backordered. Wendell posted an explanation of why it isn't easy to fix -- if they hire more people, it will actually slow down production because they'll have to be trained, and then they'll have to lay people off when sales slow down during the summer lull. So it would make things worse. But he also thought (this was some time ago) that supply would catch up with demand since sales fall in the summer months.

Saturn94

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2019, 04:27 pm »
I talked to Magnepan today.  They are still working on filling May’s orders.  :o

josh358

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2019, 04:45 pm »
Oops.

AvsFan

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2019, 08:50 pm »
The wait time could be 0 for you if you want to come to Colorado Springs.   :D
I am almost at the 60 day mark and I know I said I was going to keep trying but am seriously contemplating returning them.

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2019, 09:00 pm »
I am almost at the 60 day mark and I know I said I was going to keep trying but am seriously contemplating returning them.

Why you considering returning them?

AvsFan

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2019, 09:17 pm »
Why you considering returning them?

I'm just having a hard time with getting them to sound right. And I need better amplification. I knwo the Maggie's are finicky and picky and don't know if I want to hassle with it.

Saturn94

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2019, 10:14 pm »

So you won’t hand deliver to VA?  :lol:  :thumb:

AvsFan

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2019, 10:20 pm »
So you won’t hand deliver to VA?  :lol:  :thumb:

Haha. Listening to them right now. Scratch the return anyway. They’re keepers. I just need to get the electronics and amplification right.

Saturn94

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2019, 11:18 pm »
Haha. Listening to them right now. Scratch the return anyway. They’re keepers. I just need to get the electronics and amplification right.

Sent you a PM

Saturn94

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2019, 11:59 pm »

Steve Guttenburg really liked this amp with the LRS

https://www.schiit.com/products/vidar

Just in case you haven’t seen his review of the LRS where he mentions that amp (I’m guessing you have), here it is

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gdqchci3AhU

AvsFan

« Reply #13 on: 1 Aug 2019, 02:40 pm »
Steve Guttenburg really liked this amp with the LRS

https://www.schiit.com/products/vidar

Just in case you haven’t seen his review of the LRS where he mentions that amp (I’m guessing you have), here it is

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gdqchci3AhU

Thanks for the links and info. Saw all of those! Heck, his YouTube video is one of the reasons I bought the LRS's in the first place.
I  was contemplating the Vidar but two things that have turned me of from the Vidar. One, I heard them at RMAF a couple of years ago and wasn't that impressed. And I know I can't judge them by that because different room, electronics and speakers, maybe it just wasn't a great match. Two, I have read that there is some noise issues, or hum with them. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #14 on: 1 Aug 2019, 02:53 pm »
  A inexpensive SS amp for those is Peachtree. Two of our audio club members use them with Maggies. Sounds good to me.

charles

AvsFan

« Reply #15 on: 1 Aug 2019, 04:26 pm »
  A inexpensive SS amp for those is Peachtree. Two of our audio club members use them with Maggies. Sounds good to me.

charles

I really have my heart "set", pun intended, on the AVA SET 400. But need to get some inexpensive amplification now so I think I will go with the Outlaw Monoblocks or the 600 watt per channel Class D Audio SDS 470. I then intend to use one of these amplifiers in my home theater system once I do get the SET 400. So it won't be a waste.

josh358

« Reply #16 on: 1 Aug 2019, 05:24 pm »
Thanks for the links and info. Saw all of those! Heck, his YouTube video is one of the reasons I bought the LRS's in the first place.
I  was contemplating the Vidar but two things that have turned me of from the Vidar. One, I heard them at RMAF a couple of years ago and wasn't that impressed. And I know I can't judge them by that because different room, electronics and speakers, maybe it just wasn't a great match. Two, I have read that there is some noise issues, or hum with them.
I have a Vidar that I use as a bass amp. It's pretty good, but not the equal of my A21 or my AHB2. It sounds more Class AB solid state. And it does have that mechanical hum problem, which I've controlled by putting a rubber mallet on top.

If you can score a used A21, I'd go for that. Prices may have dropped because they've replaced it with a new model. There are other good used amps out there as well, though if you buy an older one you'll have to replace the power supply caps.

But the Vidar isn't a terrible amp, and it's certainly a bargain.

AvsFan

« Reply #17 on: 1 Aug 2019, 08:31 pm »
Thanks for the options and responses. I have REALLY been researching the Outlaws. They seem like pretty legit monoblocks. Not only for the power they deliver but there is sound quality to go along with them.

Just found this online.

"Barry Diament at SH forums really likes them with Maggies. And they're cheap and easy to resell.

Model 2200 Technical Specifications

* Power Output (FTC Continuous RMS):

- 200 watts @ 8 ohms, 20 Hz 20 kHz, < 0.05% THD

- 300 watts @ 4 ohms, 20 Hz 20 kHz, < 0.05%

* Short Term Dynamic Power Output:

- 300 watts @ 8 ohms"

audiojem

« Reply #18 on: 14 Aug 2019, 10:20 am »
Received my shipping notice yesterday should have tomorrow.
My wait time from time ordered to shipping conformation was about 90 days.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #19 on: 14 Aug 2019, 10:10 pm »
With home audio sales generally in the tank it's really good to hear of a company having wait times for their product.
Not so good for the buyer but in the long run it's a good thing for everyone.