DVD Player Recommendation Please

Bingenito

« on: 3 Feb 2005, 03:22 am »
I have moved away from high end HT and back to 2 channel. I still love HT but most of my cash is tied up in 2 channel gear. That being said can someone please recommend a quality DVD player?

It only needs to read is DVD Video (No SACD or DVDA). This unit would go digital out to a Denon 3805 receiver for audio and a Samsung plasma for video.

I was considering the Samsung DVD Player (DVD-HD841) because of the price and it's height. Circuit City has got these for $159 and it can can upconvert movies to your HDTV's native resolution, whether it's 780p or 1080i.

Any feedback would be welcome.

Thank you

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2005, 02:25 pm »
I'd check the AVS forum DVD section.  There are plenty of posts about "what is the best $200 DVD player" etc.   Much more video oriented forum.  Their audio forums are spotty, though.

Ted

Marbles

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2005, 03:04 pm »
As it happens I received my Pioneer Elite 59AVi yesterday.

It is much better as a transport than my previous panny RP91.

The PQ is better, but what surprised me the most was how much better concert DVD's sounded.  Keep in mind, both used an optical digital connection
and my REF 50 DAC's, but the sound was much better.

It was also better when using the Elites internal DACs then the Panny did using either it's own or the REF 50's DACs.

The Elites seem to be trouble free, so I had no hesitation buying a grey market one new from a reputuble dealer, even though there is no warranty with it.  Delivered to the house it was $858

If you want very good PQ, and very good audio, this is a hard package to beat.

Having said that, the Denon 3910 is said to be the Elites equal as far as PQ and audio go, and you can get one of those with a warranty for $100 more than the Elite.  With the Denon link, that might be more desireable for you.

I suspect either of these machines will tide you over until Blu-Ray has a grasp in the market.

As mentioned the AVS site is an incredible resource for this subject.

I know that the 3910/59Avi is more than you want to spend, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

jonwb

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2005, 04:59 pm »
I think in your price range I would look to pick up a used Denon DVD-1600 (although they can be hard to find).  I had one for about a year, and later replaced it with a DVD-2900.  I would have to say that in that change I gained nothing in picture quality.  The audio on the DVD-2900 is better and there are no layer change pauses (which drove my wife nuts), but the picture on the DVD-1600 is hard to beat.  The colors are rich and the detail perfect.  Heck the picture is probably better than my DVD-2900, but I just don't want to admit it  :?

For what its worth, I (personally) don't think you gain a whole lot w/ upconverting the DVD player output in the player itself.  I think its the old garbage in / garbage out scenario.  Better video circuitry will have the advantage every time (assuming you are using at least component video connections).

FWIW, I have an RCA F38310 HDTV (38" 16x9 CRT).

Best of luck!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2005, 05:15 pm »
Denon 1600 is only component outs.  I would think that the Samsung plasma accepts a digital in (like DVI-D or HDMI)?   If so, that's gotta be your video output requirement when looking for players; anything less is wasting your money.  Heck, try something like a Momitsu 880.  Picture scales to whatever your plasma resolution sweetspot is (assuming you have DVI-D).

Ted

jonwb

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2005, 05:41 pm »
Quote from: ted_b
Picture scales to whatever your plasma resolution sweetspot is (assuming you have DVI-D).

That is a good point Ted.  As most of us know there's a lot to be said for running LCD/plasma panels at thier "native" resolution.  My (older) TV offers component as its highest quality input.

Everyone seems anxious to use DVI-D or HDMI, but frequently people find the picture is no better than component (sometimes worse).  I still maintain, assuming you are using at least component/DVI-D or HDMI connections, the video circuitry in the DVD deck itself has a larger affect on the picture quality than the connection type.

Al Garay

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2005, 12:13 am »
I just researched low price DVI/HDMI dvd players. I was considering the Panasonic S97S but decided to go with the OPPO Digital OPDV971H, $199 plus shipping from their Amazon store. New ones includes firmware burned-in. Very responsive tech support. Very good reviews on the picture quality even compared to Denon 2900, 2910 and Marantz 9500.

Here are some threads.

The company based in MountainView California
http://www.oppodigital.com/opdv971h.html

Research theads:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=482239&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?p=148448#post148448

jholtz

SACD?
« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2005, 02:12 pm »
Al,

This is strictly a video DVD player, correct? It doesn't offer SACD playback from what I can tell in the specs. Any recommendations for comparable video quality with SACD in the under $200 DVD players? Video upconversion isn't a feature I care about unless it'll do it through component inputs.

I've been considering the Sony NS775. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jim

Quote from: Al Garay
I just researched low price DVI/HDMI dvd players. I was considering the Panasonic S97S but decided to go with the OPPO Digital OPDV971H, $199 plus shipping from their Amazon store. New ones includes firmware burned-in. Very responsive tech support. Very good reviews on the picture quality even compared to Denon 2900, 2910 and Marantz 9500.

Here are some threads.

The company based in MountainView California
http://www.oppodigital.com/opdv971h.html

Research theads:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/sh ...

Dozer

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2005, 08:37 pm »
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi

This link has a lot of information, and indeed the Denon 1600 seems to be the best DVD player bargain in history - bested only by much higher end Denon models.   There was one on my local craigslist last month for $150 but I was too slow.... if I see one again I will certainly snag it up to $250 I think.

Interesting, the Panny RP91 which I loved until it broke down, rates quite poorly for video based on the guy's criteria.

I have owned the Samsung HD841 for three days, which you will notice in the link is kind of dissed as a player - but I bought it at Circuit City for $159 and I am struggling to talk myself into returning it.   I like to have nice stuff (my TV is the Samsung 50" pedestal and I can tell you how to get it for $2800 if you email me), but really this DVD player seems to do a great job using component cables (I use my TV's DVI input for my set top box).   The linked site says this unit has considerably better black level, Video levels, and Y/C delay performance with component cables than with DVI (beats hell out of me what those things mean - you have to read the intro page to understand all the tests... it's a long read and I'm a busy man.

Plus, I've come across some buzz about this (HD841) being a desirable mod candidate for CD play too - same guts as Toshiba 3960.... so if it craps out as a DVD player, I suppose I can send it to somebody to see what the "modding cheap players" thing is like.

Anyway - in spite of the relatively poor score in the site I linked, I think this is too good a player to rush out and replace without a good trial.   Reviews are all over the yard - I found one very favorable pro review, but on AR.com it is badly regarded.   Go figure.

If I replace it, I will probably get the cheap Toshiba with VCR (hey i MIGHT play a tape one day)...   check out the score for the Toshiba SD-V592 for $250 list!

Al Garay

« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2005, 07:01 pm »
The Oppo supports DVD Audio through the analog outputs. I'm very impressed by the build quality, ease of use and the picture quality (using the DVI output to the DVI imput in my Toshiba 34") is as good as claimed.
The audio output has been very good as well, have only listened to movies. Will try the digital output to my DAC later, though that's not important to me.

From the research I did, good SACD players are not cheap. You have to start with the Denon 2910 or get a good deal on the Pioneer Elite DV59AVI or Onkyo SP1000. A friend of mine is unhappy with the SACD capability of his Denon 2900 and is looking to buy the Meridian (virtue of being a single guy with a good job).

Perhaps you can buy the Sony with a return policy just in case.

Al

jholtz

Check the AVS forum...
« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2005, 08:42 pm »
If you check the AVS forum you'll find a number of threads regarding spindle failure with the 1600 and the Panasonic player its based on whic is a $100 repair. I've had zero success with Denon products in the past. They all broke just out of warranty. It's hard to consider them with the luck I've had with them.

My $.02 worth...

Jim

Quote from: Dozer
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi

This link has a lot of information, and indeed the Denon 1600 seems to be the best DVD player bargain in history - bested only by much higher end Denon models.   There was one on my local craigslist last month for $150 but I was too slow.... if I see one again I will certainly snag it up to $250 I think.

Interesting, the Panny RP91 which I loved until it broke down, rates quite poorly for video based on the guy's criteria.

I have owned the Samsung ...

jholtz

« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2005, 08:54 pm »
Hi Al,

I'm glad you're pleased with the Oppo. I've followed the SACD path rather than DVD-A so my two most important criteria are excellent video and good SACD sound quality.

I did pick up a NS775 for $116 locally yesterday and watched a number of movies last night. The video is really excellent and IMHO, perhaps a little better than the 963SA with the 2310 Faroudja chip set. Combing is much better and no bloom on reds. It's a little more "film like" appearance in comparison to the Faroudja chips which is typical Sony.

SACD performance was darn good and again better than the 963SA. I popped the "hood" and it looks like it would be a snap to substitute some Blackgate caps on the audio output stage and maybe a larger, lower ESR cap in place of the main supply cap in the power supply. Nothing exotic just a few basics. Redbook is still a bit better using the DAC in my Audio Refinement Pre2DSP pre/pro though. I also like the old Sony S3000 better as a transport so the NS775 will be movies and SACD only.

I have two weeks to return it so I'll see if my initial thoughts stay the same.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jim

Quote from: Al Garay
The Oppo supports DVD Audio through the analog outputs. I'm very impressed by the build quality, ease of use and the picture quality (using the DVI output to the DVI imput in my Toshiba 34") is as good as claimed.
The audio output has been very good as well, have only listened to movies. Will try the digital output to my DAC later, though that's not important to me.

From the research I did, good SACD players are not cheap. You have to start with the Denon 2910 or get a good deal on the Pioneer Elite DV5 ...

lcrim

« Reply #12 on: 21 Feb 2005, 04:50 am »
Because my Denon 2200 was so completely unreliable I picked up the Sony DVP-NC875V which I believe has the same electronics and chipset as the 775 discussed above but the 875 is a 5 disc carousel.  It plays DVD video w/o upscaling through component out which is desirable to me.  My Sony 34XBR800 HDTV looks better w/ 480P and its internal scalar than with a upscaled DVI output and I like to run my Samsung HDTV receiver into the DVI input.
I like SACD too and the 875 is quite nice sounding on SACD.  It sounds a whole bunch better on Redbook than the Denon ever did.  I paid $125 @ J&R and until I can afford PC based audio and video, I am more than satisfied with it.  Unlike the Denon, I load it w/ discs and everything plays.  I like this cheap player a lot.  I also have a Tohiba 3950 w/ the Vinnie and Swenson mods and the 875 stock is a better DVD video player and is damn close on Redbook and adds SACD (DSD) playback.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 21 Feb 2005, 04:57 am »
My '2200 has been solid as a rock.  Go figure.  The only problem I've had is that it's dicey with DVD-Rs, but almost all DVD players are (in my experience recordable DVDs are all dodgy).  I keep a Pioneer player for DVD-Rs, as they're pretty dependable (with the brand of media & burner I have- YMMV).  It's got Modwright transport mods, but my Denon sounds at least as good with Redbook, if not a little better.

lcrim

« Reply #14 on: 21 Feb 2005, 12:12 pm »
I also tried the Toshiba 4960 which is a rebadged Samsung HD 841, they are calling them the Samiba's over on the Asylum.  The internals in the Samiba are different than the Tosh 3950.  They can be made to sound good w/ mods, I think Bob M had a thread on his 4960 mods.  But out of the box, the Sony 875/775 are really nice sounding audio players w/ top notch 480P video.  I don't think they are on close out yet but when they do, grab one.  They sound better than they have any right to.

My experience w/ Denon has been so miserable that I am just not ever going there again.  Its good that your 2200 has never been a problem for you Rob, but my experience has not been positive with Denon products.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 21 Feb 2005, 05:38 pm »
That's how my luck has been with Toshiba. :?

rmihai0

« Reply #16 on: 21 Feb 2005, 07:05 pm »
I will check the Toshiba SD-5970 - HDMI outout, fair price, no SACD. You can not go wromg with it, especially for the money.

21stCenturyRedneck

« Reply #17 on: 26 Apr 2005, 07:44 pm »
Does the Denon 3910 or Pioneer 59avi have buffers for dual layer transfers?

tvyankee

« Reply #18 on: 26 Apr 2005, 08:49 pm »
hey guys

you might want to check this out.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/main.html

good luck.

Florian

« Reply #19 on: 26 Apr 2005, 08:59 pm »
I had a Marantz DV4300 which was exeptional, not just for the price ;-)
Now i have a Denon DVD1500 which i only use very rare to watch the simpsons  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen: