What pre are you using with your Odyssey amp(s)

bunky

« Reply #40 on: 23 Jan 2006, 09:02 pm »
Quote from: MaxCast
Quote from: A6M-ZERO
.... from a smaller company with no 'made in china' stickers to be found.

Amen to that my Brotha :!:
Ditto!...WCW III

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #41 on: 24 Jan 2006, 12:12 am »
Monolithic PA-1 with the external power supply.

avadoro

« Reply #42 on: 28 Jan 2006, 06:04 pm »
Haven't you considered Van Alstine?

maxwalrath

« Reply #43 on: 28 Jan 2006, 06:10 pm »
I didn't think the Minimax was a good match, the sound was too "rich and liquidy".

carusoracer

« Reply #44 on: 30 Jan 2006, 06:10 pm »
Quote from: maxwalrath
I didn't think the Minimax was a good match, the sound was too "rich and liquidy".

Which tubes are in the MiniMax? What speakers? Just curious...

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
« Reply #45 on: 30 Jan 2006, 08:13 pm »
I used to run a modded Bottlehead Foreplay preamp with $300 Telefunken tubes, but now my USB DAC outputs connect straight into the monos. No pre, no passive, just digital volume control on the PC transport that feeds the USB DAC via ASIO driver.

Peter

AJS

« Reply #46 on: 1 Feb 2006, 08:46 pm »
When I get my Khartago Extreme in a few weeks, it will be driven from the pre-outs of a vintage Marantz 2250 receiver.

Later, I'm going to order an Audible Illusions Modulus 3A-MC, (similar to my old Mod 3...I sure miss that unit!) with the phono stage specced to mate with my existing Van den Hul Frog cartridge. (Unless I can get Klaus to build me a suitable Tempest MC stage. :wink: )  

If I really like the K' Ex Stereo version, then after the preamp I'll get a pair of K' Ex Mono's.  

Of course, this all depends on the outcome of John Lennon's Conundrum: "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans."

:scratch:  :smoke:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TheChairGuy

« Reply #47 on: 2 Feb 2006, 03:19 am »
The (stereo) Khartago was the only amp of several that worked without issue (that is, to my ears) with the Tempest Extreme I have.  It's the first all SS pairing that has allowed me to listen all day in my listening room/office (often 10 hours or more).

Using the tube Dynaco PAS-4, once needed for all day listening to fray my jangled nerves and ears, I now find it lacking in dynamics and prefer the Tempest Extreme.  It's remote, too, all the better.  Quite a great phono stage in the Tempest, too.

So impressed was I with the Khartago (it had an upgraded board in it for $90 extra new), that I let Klaus talk me into a pair of Khartago Mono's.  They'll be in here sometime - I'm simply delighted with the Odyssey sound experience.

AJS

« Reply #48 on: 3 Feb 2006, 06:32 am »
Quote from: TheChairGuy
The (stereo) Khartago was the only amp of several that worked without issue (that is, to my ears) with the Tempest Extreme I have.

I can't at this point see how/why the Mod. 3A would have a problem with the Khartago(s), unless there would be an impedance mis-match between them. The A.I. is considered one of the best sounding pre's in the world today and from my experience with them, I agree.

jkm

« Reply #49 on: 3 Feb 2006, 09:29 pm »
Someone suggested to me recently that no preamp is better than a preamp. He recommended a switched step attenuator or as it's called, a passive preamp for a few hundred dollars. I gathered that you would plug your source directly into your amp(s) with this thing in between with a volume control. As I'm not technical minded I'm not sure what this really is? If it's so great why don't I hear more about it?

James

siowyn

« Reply #50 on: 4 Feb 2006, 11:47 am »
It all depends on the output /preamp section of the source that you wanna plug directly into the amp (eg a dac with volume control). Often, the sound is much better in with a good pre.
i have a benchmark DAC1 which can plug directly into my power amp, but through the preamp (modwright) the sound is much better in terms of dynamics, staging etc.

AJS

« Reply #51 on: 5 Feb 2006, 01:55 am »
I've found what siowyn said to be generally true. Unless you have a CD or other source that has a very good output stage, it's usually best to go with a dedicated preamp.

Others may differ, YMMV, etc....