What pre are you using with your Odyssey amp(s)

The Zard

Modwright SWL 9.0 with Sratos Mono's
« Reply #20 on: 3 Nov 2005, 03:25 pm »
The Modwright Pre with the Sratos Mono's is as good as it gets! The Gallo Ref 3's don't hurt either.

System http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;system=493

soundman

« Reply #21 on: 15 Nov 2005, 11:43 pm »
Hi Chris_B,

Can you please let us know how the modwright, mono amps and
lorelei speakers sound.  I'm curious because pretty soon I'm going
to have the same system.

Thanks

Chris_B

« Reply #22 on: 16 Nov 2005, 12:39 am »
Soundman,

My review of the Lorelei's is linked below.  Adding the Modwright was a very big improvement as well so I would say that they interact well together.  The 9.0 SWL made my system sound more natural and helped bring out a lot more detail compared to my other preamps.   I hope that helps,

Lorelei review:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=17737&highlight=

BobC

Please elaborate on the Modwright vs Tempest
« Reply #23 on: 17 Nov 2005, 02:28 pm »
Anyone care to elaborate on the sonic, ergonomic differences between the Modwright and the Tempest.  Both are on my short list.  (although the Modwright is a little out of budget)

All of my Martin Logan friends tell me to add tubes (have Ascent i's), but I'm sure there is a lot merit to the whole synergy thing with my extreme monos.

How 'bout it jcoat007, Chris_B or Zard?  I believe you're directly familiar with the two.

Any help is appreciated!  Thanks!

The Zard

« Reply #24 on: 22 Nov 2005, 04:13 pm »
Well, the Tempest is a high quality Pre just as the Modwright. Problem is they are difficult to compare because they are not going to sound the same in the same the identical system. The Modwright for me is the preferred choice. It does not reflect on the Tempest which others may prefer.

The issue of the synergy "thing" is valid but not an issue here. What might be considered is that if one leaves (as I) the amps on 24/7 it is a big convenience to leave the Pre on 24/7. In the case of the Modwright you are going to shorten the usable life of the tubes. Is that a big deal? I don't think so at least for me.

To summarize you could not get me to get the Modwright Pre out of my system with a crowbar!

System:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;system=493

ooheadsoo

« Reply #25 on: 10 Dec 2005, 11:18 am »
Currently using a shunt mode 12 stepped attenuator built into my dac with a plain stratos.  Seriously considering the Channel Island VPC-2 because the turn on thump from my dac and lack of convenient fine volume adjustment is killing me.  I can't afford fancy stuff at the moment and the VPC-2 is really stretching what I'm willing to pay, as it is, which is why I'm holding out for a used one to show up on audiogon.  I hope I won't have to wait a few years  :x  Any advice on another cheap solution that has the same functionality as the VPC-2?  I see nothing on audiogon appropriate except for a Belles Soloist 3 that shouldn't be tempting me since it costs more.

Unfortunately, keeping the width of the preamp under 14 inches is pretty important for my setup.  Not completely out of the question to get something larger, but if it doesn't blow the VPC-2 away, like a VPC-2 with a big fat noble or stepped attenuator for half the price, I'd rather not.

earlmarc

« Reply #26 on: 10 Dec 2005, 03:27 pm »
Currently using SAS Audio Labs 10U preamplifier with Odyssey Khartago amplifier. The results are stunning. I have tried the Tempest and IRD Purist preamplifier also, and both mated well with the Khartago, but they lack the warm musicality and smoothness of the 10U.

avalon65

« Reply #27 on: 10 Dec 2005, 03:40 pm »
Quote from: ooheadsoo
Unfortunately, keeping the width of the preamp under 14 inches is pretty important for my setup. Not completely out of the question to get something larger, but if it doesn't blow the VPC-2 away, like a VPC-2 with a big fat noble or stepped attenuator for half the price, I'd rather not.

I'd suggest the Creek line of OBH passive preamps. I had one and was extremely impressed. Like the CI, it's similar in size and depending on the model remote controlable. Inputs are limited to one or two though. I've never heard the CI so I can compare the two. Best of luck on your hunt.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #28 on: 10 Dec 2005, 07:48 pm »
Thanks.  Perhaps a good question would be whether 2v input is enough to drive the stratos to full power.

Randy

oo - maybe this?
« Reply #29 on: 10 Dec 2005, 07:50 pm »

ooheadsoo

« Reply #30 on: 10 Dec 2005, 09:19 pm »
I've considered the axiom, but their refusal to add a second input kills the deal.  It's pricy for what you get (arguably, so is the vpc-2 but at least it has everything I'm asking for) but I would be willing to consider a used axiom - unfortunately they've all sold same day on audiogon.

siowyn

« Reply #31 on: 21 Jan 2006, 09:34 am »
I was using a tempest (non-extreme)pre for my mono extreme.
rest of gear: Slinkylink silver cables, IC, benchmark DAC1.
I found the sound very clear, deep base, detailed highs,a nd very good value for money.
I late changed to a Modwright SWL9.0 SE
I found the improvement in soundstage dept, 3 dimensionality of the sound, depth of bass and high extension quite significant. The instrumental separation is superb and music , especially mass orchestral pieces, does not becomes congested when things gets complicated. And, it doesn't have that slight SS edge, and the sound is so smooth yet  detailed.
It also cost 2x the Tempest, but I love it!

rcj1231

« Reply #32 on: 21 Jan 2006, 03:55 pm »
Currently using a Tempest Extreme with my Extreme Monos, but am considering changing to a tube pre (Modwright?). Nothing wrong with the Tempest, it sounds fabulous.

Rick

djbnh

« Reply #33 on: 21 Jan 2006, 05:24 pm »
Tempest.

Bob A (SD)

« Reply #34 on: 22 Jan 2006, 03:47 am »
I considered a lot of possibilities but wanted MC cart support inclusion among other things.  The Tempest led the pack and I have not regretted that decision one iota :)

earlmarc

« Reply #35 on: 22 Jan 2006, 04:22 am »
The SAS Audio Labs 10A sounds wonderful with my Khartago amplifier. A suprisingly excellent combination.

Zero

« Reply #36 on: 22 Jan 2006, 04:25 am »
Earlmarc,

I run a Khartago amplifier and when money begins to flow in, a pre amp is definately on the horizon (running direct from source for now)..  

The SAS 10A looks like a cool choice, but $1800.. thats a little daunting! Within the next few months I will be looking at bringing in a pre amplifier..  torn between a few choices..  red wines passive, space tech labs qa001, etesian,  something that has an interesting story behind it from a smaller company with no 'made in china' stickers to be found.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #37 on: 22 Jan 2006, 04:58 am »
Using a Channel Islands VPC 1 with my Stratos.

carusoracer

PreAmp
« Reply #38 on: 23 Jan 2006, 03:18 pm »
Factory Modded Eastern Electric MinMax NOS Tubes w/Stratos Extreme

MaxCast

« Reply #39 on: 23 Jan 2006, 03:40 pm »
Quote from: A6M-ZERO
.... from a smaller company with no 'made in china' stickers to be found.

Amen to that my Brotha :!: