New member - first post

pav13

New member - first post
« on: 30 Jun 2019, 12:56 am »
Hi, I have only recently jumped into the hifi world (3 years or so).  I first started with headphones, and now making the move to speakers.  It is a much bigger world than I though, and enjoying the start of this journey.  I was suggested this community by a fellow audiophile as a place for more info.

Thanks!

pav13

Re: New member - first post
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2019, 03:44 am »
Is anyone here from Canada - specifically Alberta?  I'm always looking for local individuals to discuss and try gear.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2019, 04:15 am »
Hello, pav13.

Welcome to AC!

Michael

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2019, 06:09 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC pav13   :thumb:

pav13

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2019, 06:17 am »
Hello, pav13.

Welcome to AC!

Michael

Greetings & Welcome to AC pav13   :thumb:

Thank you!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2019, 10:48 am »
Is anyone here from Canada - specifically Alberta?  I'm always looking for local individuals to discuss and try gear.
Welcome Pav, Iam not from Canada but I used to whatch this camera in Alberta:
Nice View

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2019, 11:37 am »
Welcome!

I'm from Michigan (a want to be Canadian) and love Canadian football. 

There are several AC members from Canada.

So how far have you gotten on your in-room audiophile listening?  The first thing to get right is the room itself.  Read Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition to learn the importance of the room.  (He used to work for the Canadian Research Council and did extensive work on rooms and speaker testing).  Bigger is better, but shape is even more important.  My room follows the Fibonacci ratios (8ft x 13ft x 21ft) to achieve a comfortable aesthetic and minimize bass echo.  But a higher priority should be placed on dedication of the room for ideal speaker/listener setup, isolation from sound transmission in and out, and listening without domestic "interference".

Then pick speakers that fit your room and your tastes.  Toole will point you towards use of monitors with 3 or 4 subs to further reduce bass echo.  I'm a fan of active speaker design.  Heard a comparison 18 years ago between Paradigm Studio 20 v.2 ($800/pair, small 2-way monitors) and Paradigm Active 20 ($1600/pair, same drivers/cabinet).  It was no contest!!  Much more dynamic, flatter frequency response, incredible deep/full bass.  Studio professionals (who help make your recordings) have used active design for decades.  Very good actives start with JBL 305 Mk 2 ($300/pair MSRP, small 2-way monitors).  Some actives have wireless internet connection and include preamp/DAC.

After that decide what formats (vinyl, digital discs, and/or streaming) you want to have access to.  I have an audiophile friend who listens only to Tidal streaming (50 million albums to pick from that can travel with your smartphone app).  In fact briefly he was running KEF LS50W ('wireless' active speakers) using only his smartphone for a true lifestyle audiophile solution, but being a speaker swapper and wanting to be family friendly went passive, added a streaming receiver and a TV. 

Vinyl is expensive, source material is quite limited, but does get you more into a hands on method.  Tape is dead to all but quirky hobbyists.  Digital discs are also getting rare, but are still cheap, however players are the limiting factor.  Streaming is still in it's infancy IMO, with clunky, expensive, unfriendly computer solutions everywhere.  On the other end of the spectrum is Chromecast, a simple, very small, decent sound quality solution with more and more pieces in between.  A niche product type is the DAC/preamp with quality starting under $500 MSRP, some of which have analog inputs (for vinyl, tape) and digital inputs for discs and streaming.

How you amplify your signal is another issue.  If going with active speakers, the choice will be made for you (solid state, probably class D).  But many like the charming sound of tubes, again largely to satisfy the hobby oriented folks.  Tubes can get expensive and do wear out.  Plus their sound changes as they burn out. 

So the sky's the limit on spending.  Build a highly treated freestanding big structure within a structure with dedicate power developed by a leading designer, filled with all kinds of high-end gear, and live there like a true audio hermit.  Or finish off a corner of the basement in a reasonably well insulated/shaped room, add treatments, use a mid-field setup with active monitors, three subs, DAC/preamp, and a laptop for ripped CDs and Tidal and call it a day like I've done.

Take care.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2019, 05:27 pm »
Welcome!