Speaker for Paramours

efm2

Speaker for Paramours
« on: 2 Feb 2005, 02:24 am »
Hi Louie,
Considering that you have the Mours and have probably mated this to all your speakers what do you think is the best model to make this amp sing?
I don't have a dedicated listening room and my system sits in the long side of a 23' X 18' room which is the living room and dining room combined. I am thinking of the Super 3R and maybe a sub in the future if need be. Any suggestion from you or other forum members are most welcome.
Best Regards,
Edwin

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Speaker for Paramours
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2005, 11:32 am »
Welcome Edwin,

The Grande 6 & 8 are warm sounding and provide a full bodied presentation.  First impression is that they offer more bass than the 3 series, but the numbers don't support it.

The 3 series seem faster, more accurate, but less efficient.  IMO they would mate better with a sub.

Louis manages to squeeze a lot out of these drivers and offers great looking cabinetry.

Dmason

Speaker for Paramours
« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2005, 04:55 pm »
Edwin

I agree with Jeff's assessment. If you were already thinking about implementing with a sub, the Super 3R would give the greatest speed and accuracy. There is a certain delicacy about the sound, it has its very own character. It presents Real Music. It is an outstanding speaker by any definition, but I would caution that it needs to be paired with a sub that can do it justice.

I have heard the 3R with a good sub, (VBT Magellan,) and could easily live happily with that set up, no question. It will have no problem filling your space with high resolution, see through sound that will delight. A++

They also look highly cool in the wide baffle design; I really like that. Louis is a master woodsmith. Hope this helps.

efm2

Speaker for Paramours
« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2005, 03:22 pm »
Just to let you know that I have purchased the Super 3. Love the imaging and its non-fatiguing quality that has me listening for hours straight without tiring. I will mate it with a Rel Strata 3 subs this week. I think I will be enjoying this system for a long time!
Best Regards,
Edwin

Louis O

Speaker for Paramours
« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2005, 03:00 pm »
Thanks everyone for the great replies

Hi Edwin,

Many thanks  for your purchase of the Super 3s. I’m so happy your enjoying them and please let us know about how the REL works out too.

Talk to you soon,
Louis

efm2

Speaker for Paramours
« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2005, 02:52 pm »
Hi Louis,
Thanks for replying. The REL has integrated well with my system. I whipped up my old SPL meter and found out that my Super 3 went as low as 40 Hz in my room. Set the REL crossover point at 40 and the system has been singing well since. The smallest REL Quake with the 8" driver is more than enough for my 22 ft X 18 ft room.
Best Regards,
Edwin