What's the trick? Replacing power switch on 3 y/o Vision SL chassis

RileyD

I thought it would be easy.  Mary sent me a replacement switch a while ago.  The switch snaps in place from the front tide of the front panel ... simple enough.  But what is the trick to removing the old switch? 

Thanks, Riley

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Riley, take a small-medium, fine blade straight bladed screwdriver. If you look at the new switch you'll see 'hinged' plastic tabs top & bottom. The old switch is the same way. Obvious, but disconnect the power. Gently pry between the switch body & case till you can get a fingertip grip on the sides of the switch body, then push down on the top tab as you pull on the switch body, as it compresses you'll be able to pull it out a little further, do the same on the bottom tab. It will come out to the point you can depress both tabs with your fingers and remove the switch. Swap the wires from old to new, then simply reverse the process, no need for the screwdriver at that point, simply push the new switch in until it clicks into place. Voila !  :thumb: Have done it on a couple of my units over the years. Enjoy the new glow.

timind

• permanent vacation
Riley, take a small-medium, fine blade straight bladed screwdriver. If you look at the new switch you'll see 'hinged' plastic tabs top & bottom. The old switch is the same way. Obvious, but disconnect the power. Gently pry between the switch body & case till you can get a fingertip grip on the sides of the switch body, then push down on the top tab as you pull on the switch body, as it compresses you'll be able to pull it out a little further, do the same on the bottom tab. It will come out to the point you can depress both tabs with your fingers and remove the switch. Swap the wires from old to new, then simply reverse the process, no need for the screwdriver at that point, simply push the new switch in until it clicks into place. Voila !  :thumb: Have done it on a couple of my units over the years. Enjoy the new glow.

And don't put the switch in upside down or else you'll have to do it all over. Experience talking here.

avahifi

Use a big pliers to squeeze the top and bottom fingers on the switch body as flat as possible b4 trying to push switch into its mounting hole.  Our switch cutout hole is manufacturer’s spec size, but the actual switch bodies have crept bigger recently.

If you have trouble removing switch, try just cutting fingers off with a small wire cutters.

Switch fingers, not yours!

Frank

RileyD

Thanks for the advice ... it all worked!
Once I got the snap tabs or "fingers" on the top and bottom of the switch body trimmed down I was able to push the switch out just a hair.  Then I took an 18" length of 20lb test firewire (a very thin braid of fishing line) and wrapped each end around wooden clothes pins.  While my wife held onto the chassis I slipped the fishing line between the front panel and the collar of the switch.  A few tugs later the switch was out.

Thanks again ... we are back in business!