Latest purchase

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Latest purchase
« on: 13 Mar 2003, 04:12 am »
Best Buy has a "2 for $25" deal on the remastered directors cut of a bunch of movies, so I picked up Unforgiven and Amadeus.  I had these (great) movies but sold them when the spec editions came out.  Of course, I just now got the new versions!

bubba966

Latest purchase
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2003, 02:32 am »
Saw the $25 deal. But I didn't really care for 2 of any of them.

Did pick up Last Action Hero for $8 at BB yesterday. I haven't seen it in 10 years so I don't remember it very well. But as it was only $8...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Latest purchase
« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2003, 03:48 am »
You didn't like Amedeas or Unforgiven?  I'm surprised; I really love both of those movies.  I haven't watched Amadeus (new ed) yet, but Unforgiven looks much crisper, with some great extras (including a surprisingly crisp-looking and entertaining episode of Maverick that Eastwood guest starred in).

Hulce was brilliant in "Amadeus", and the film is very entertaining.  Of course, the story is based on a novel that postulated that Salieri's deathbed "confession" of having killed Mozart was actually the truth (a theory that practically no one takes seriously).  Still a fantastic film.

bubba966

Latest purchase
« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2003, 05:17 am »
I've already got both on LD. Why bother dropping the $ on DVD's?

But I didn't care for Unforgiven when I watched it in the theater. I actually wouldn't own it if the copy I've got wasn't one of the only 4 US LD titles that was pressed as a 16:9 disc. Decided a bit ago that I'd collect all of the 16:9 Lasers pressed as there was only 7 done in Japan and 4 done here. I finished the Japanese releases some time ago. But I still need 3 of the US discs. A bit hard to find them as they were promo releases given away (only 2 per RPTV) with Toshiba's first 16:9 RPTV some time back.

Amadeus I saw in the theater. And I didn't want to watch it then, but I got dragged to it anyway. And really, when you're 7 are you going to appreciate that movie at all? Maybe someday I'll end up watching it again. But it's not on my to-do list...

Mathew_M

Latest purchase
« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2003, 06:24 am »
What about Cuckoo's Nest?  I had a double feature the other night of OFOTCN and Barfly.  Both brillant films IMO.

bubba966

Latest purchase
« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2003, 06:31 am »
I've not seen OFOTCN yet.

Picked up the Pioneer Special Edition LD some time back. Just not watched it yet.

Should I be watching it sometime soon?...

bob82274

Latest purchase
« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2003, 12:46 pm »
I saw most of OFOTCN except the end... thats when my DVD player died.    :(

bob82274

Latest purchase
« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2003, 01:22 am »
Just bought Princess Mononoke.  A good movie with excelent animation.   Spirited Away (which is also by Miyazaki) comes out next month and I plan on picking up that one too.  My only other Anime movie is Metropolis.

bubba966

Latest purchase
« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2003, 01:30 am »
I picked up Spirited Away last July. Watched it again last Wednesay. Great animation, excellent sound. The DTS-ES track is amazing.

The first time I watched it I didn't much care for it. But after watching it again Wednesday I appreciate it much more than I first did.

Another Anime title I'd highly reccommend is Ghost In The Shell. I've only got 6 Anime titles myself, and that's one of my favorites.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Latest purchase
« Reply #9 on: 22 Mar 2003, 02:50 am »
I know you aren't a big anime guy, and I know I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I highly recommend Grave of the Fireflies.  Very touching and well told story.

bob82274

Latest purchase
« Reply #10 on: 25 Mar 2003, 10:42 pm »
Picked up the Vista Series Roger Rabbit today.  I'v been waiting a long time for this release (possibly since last summer).  I havn't watched yet but I doubt I will be disappointed.

Bubba I watched Ghost In The Shell last night (rented) and found it very enjoyable.   One of the things that I like about anime is the atmosphere that it can create in urban environments.  Few live action movies take the time to create them.  The only two that stand out in my mind is Blade Runner and for a happier environment The Fifth Element.

bubba966

Latest purchase
« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2003, 05:59 am »
Glad you enjoyed Ghost In The Shell. I've not actually heard of anyone disliking it yet. One friend of mine doesn't care for Japanese Animation at all. But she did like Ghost In The Shell. So if she even likes it, it's gotta be good, right?

I stopped in at BB today to see what they were going to have for pricing on this weeks releases. Was mainly looking at Femme Fatale & Jackass. Jackass was the funniest movie released last year and was $5 cheaper than FF. I could only spare the cheese for one disc this week, so Jackass won out. :mrgreen:

bob82274

Latest purchase
« Reply #12 on: 26 Mar 2003, 06:14 am »
Just got done watching Roger Rabbit. Comments and Grievences are as follows:  

- Really bad layer change.  Freezes for a second in an awkward spot at least on the Widescreen version.  I have no desire to watch the Pan & Scam version.

- They include both widescreen and full screen in one package on seperate discs.  I have, on more than one occasion, accidently bought the full screen version which means I have to get back in the car and go back to BB.  Or those duel sided disks where they have full screen on one side and wide screen on the other.  I hate having to read that small print.  If it were up to me every DVD would come in only one form.  Anamorphic Original Aspect Ratio.  If it was 1.33:1 to begin with I don't want to see it letterboxed and if its 2.35:1 I don't want to see it Pan & Scamed.

Ok sorry for that small rant... back to work people.

KeithR

Latest purchase
« Reply #13 on: 28 Mar 2003, 12:08 am »
Thanks for the headz up on Roger Rabbit.  I just picked up my copy last night.

That said, I am awaiting my new Marantz S2 projector, and can't watch for another week as i already sold my PLV 70 :(

Brandon B

Latest purchase
« Reply #14 on: 28 Mar 2003, 09:05 pm »
Quote from: KeithR
Thanks for the headz up on Roger Rabbit.  I just picked up my copy last night.

That said, I am awaiting my new Marantz S2 projector, and can't watch for another week as i already sold my PLV 70 :(

What soured you on the pLV70 (not that I wuoldn't prefer the S2 if the evil sun would stay out mu HT)?

Found it pretty humorous on the WFRR DVD that they refer to the DD only P&S disk as the "family friendly" version, and the DD+DTS widescreen as the "enthusiast's version, yet they pack twice the extras on the widescreen disk, necessitating a higher compression rate on the video.  Dorks.

BB

Ferdi

Latest purchase
« Reply #15 on: 29 Mar 2003, 10:39 pm »
Just received my copy of Roger Rabbit and watched it tonight. Still a great movie and there are lost of little details and jokes I found that I had forgotten.

I found that some of the framing was a bit too tight, losing some detail that is part of a joke. Also, I found the picture less than perfect. A bit dark and uneven at times.

Still, if you're into cartoons at all, this is a must have.

bubba966

Latest purchase
« Reply #16 on: 30 Mar 2003, 03:10 am »
Sounds like I should get the un-altered LD of Roger Rabbit instead of the DVD...

I just picked up Femme Fatale. I missed a bunch of it in the theater as the ticket line took 30 minutes longer than usual that day. So I got in about 15 minutes after the movie started. Hopefully I can watch it now and figure it out a bit better (it was a little hard to follow, made even worse as I didn't know what happened to begin with).