2-ch setup question

Christof

2-ch setup question
« on: 1 Feb 2005, 11:09 pm »
I'm having hard time figuring out how to setup my new system components.  Due to budget concerns I'm going the route of a combined 2-ch/HT system.  I have a pair of Selah 4-way tower speakers each with it's own plate amp for integrated sub.  I also have a Outlaw 950 pre/pro, Khartago amp HK DVD22 dvd/cdp and soon to have Onix dedicated CD player for 2-ch.  

The issue:
I hate the sound of the Outlaw 950 as a 2-ch preamp so I would like warm things up with a tube pre for 2-ch.  However I need to feed both HT signal and 2-ch signal to my speakers along with a low level sub signal for 2ch and HT.  I understand the concept of a HT bypass in a pre and will have one built into my new pre but what do I do about the sub signal?  In the case of these speakers they must have the signal in both 2-ch and HT.  Building dedicated HT subwoofers is not an option right now.

Thx...
Christof

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
2-ch setup question
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2005, 11:56 pm »
Buy an NHT X2 active sub crossover for $350 or less (John Casler can help here).  The pdf manual is on the NHT site, under "tech help, find an answer".  It's discussed in another thread (see below).  The main value prop for the X2 is that it will take the LFE from your HT and the second output from your pre and combine them for one easy connection to your sub(s).  You set the X2 crossover for your 2 channel listening (continuously variable from 30hz up to 220hz) .  The HT LFE is crossed over in your Outlaw at (fill in blank...probably 40, 80 or 125) and runs through the X2 unaffected by the X2 crossover, linking in after the low pass filter for the 2 channel stuff.  It is "affected" downstream by the X2 gain and boundary controls, but that's a good thing.  

Check out this thread, as well.....
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=16228

Ted

Christof

2-ch setup question
« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2005, 12:08 am »
Ted
Thanks for the info, I'll look into an X2!
c.