Is this an effective analog room correction (sans ADC)?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Has anybody any experience with PARC?

http://www.rivesaudio.com/PARC/PARCframe.html

Or is it just an expensive package of equalizers that have been put together in a user friendly sort of way for room correction?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2005, 06:50 pm »
Joeling39 owns one.  He responded to my Tact/Deqx thread awhile ago.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=15516

The good news is it's purely analog and very quiet, supposedly.  The bad news for us "sitting in a trough" folks is it has NO boost or gain, only attenuation.  Stereophile reviewed it favorably in their room correction issue a few months ago.

Ted

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2005, 08:09 pm »
Ted,

Did you ever get to try your analog in on your DEQX?  Rives website mentions that their prerequisite for room acoustics is having a "live" back wall and 2 side walls that  "energizes" the bass.  It makes sense that PARC only attenuates bass starting from that premise.  I just received a modified Real Trap room pack.  I am going to place them on the corners, walls, and ceiling and try the old fashioned speaker placement and putty adjustment with the help of a measuring microphone and TruRTA software.  I guess I should've done this first, but trust me to put cart before donkey everytime! :oops:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2005, 09:22 pm »
Yes, the DEQX is a great great product, but not for me at tis time.  I am too much of an analog junkie, especially SACD and the occassional HDAD or DVD-A.  My analog stuff into the DEQX robbed the music of its warmth and life, but I mainly attribute that to the fact it was doing an extra a/d and d/a.  That's true of any digital pre or processor.  I notice that Overkill is going one step beyond by ripping out the DAC in the DEQX and using their own choices.  They are keeping the DEQX's holy grail, though, it's DSP algorithms on the psb.  The correction technology in the DEQX is quite remarkable.

I've invested heavily in my analog setup, including a wonderful-sounding tubed analog redbook output (Modwright) so the DEQX was not the right solution for me in the short-term.  

The PARC is too darn expensive in my environment.  It's value prop is to address the attenuation of bass peaks.  I'm sure it's very good at it, but my problem is I'm sitting in a 40hz bass null, and my room requirements don't allow me much ability to move my sweetspot.  Ethan has helped a lot with the Real Traps in the corners and on the back wall (I'm 80 in from backwall....a perfect 43hz quarter wavelength :cry:  ), but I may need to do more.  In the meantime I'm augmenting with some fine-tuning of corner subs (the rest of the seats in the room shake like an earthquake but I'm fine.... 8)  ) and moving some things around.

Ted