What's wrong with me??

jcazes

What's wrong with me??
« on: 1 Jun 2019, 04:37 pm »
I've appreciated nice audio equipment all my life - started with some Polk R50's at Black fFriday in college, picked up some focal bookshelves at some point in my 20's, then some Shure SE846's through a friend that worked at Apple (hooray, employee discount), and most recently some Klipsch RP-8000F towers and a 504c center.

I bought the Klipsch setup a month ago after reading some extensive reviews about how they're an incredible value for the money, run really efficiently so you don't need expensive electronics, and have a killer matching center.

After setting them up, I love them. My condo is not the best - hard surfaces everywhere and minimal treatment options due to windows, but I still think they sound great to my untrained ears.

Buuuuuut, I've spent some time reading AVS, AC, and other forums in the past month, I've discovered the world of direct to consumer brands like Philharmonic (RIP), Ascend, and Salk, and already want to upgrade. 

It's been a month. My Klipsch's sound great.

I really don't want to fork out $5-6k on new towers + electronics. But I can. And I've convinced myself that there are diminishing returns beyond this price point so this would be my speakers for the next 10 years. But I don't even have room for a hifi center channel taller than my Klipsch in my TV stand.

Why can't I just be happy with my new Klipsch speakers??  :lol:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: What's wrong with me??
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2019, 11:14 pm »
Welcome Jcazes :thumb:
I think you are well served w/this Klipsch for a long time due the hi efficiency 98dB, w/this you can use a small Single Ended tube amp, as is know horns always sound better w/tube amps.

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2019, 11:27 pm »
Yup - welcome to The Club!

Anyway, if you're happy, please enjoy it for now. Taming all the important reflection points in your room will improve it's sound.

undertowogt1

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2019, 11:31 pm »
One of us...One of Us  :icon_twisted: (Chanting)

drummermitchell

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2019, 11:40 pm »
Ain’t nothin like the old songs on the radio————-
Were they not Fantastic days.
I’ve been everywhere man(hank Snow)
If the MUSIC don’t grab ya the gear won’t
Here’s my 50 yrs of WhAtttt
Pioneer-Sansui-kenwood-loved em everyone(70s-80s)
Last 20 Bryston Vac ect
ENJOY YOUR MUSIC.COM
The upgrade bug is a losing battle as for sure it detracts from the Music.
Talkin evrethang from pc,s to whatever
Doobie Brothers had it right ....Wo ho ho LISTEN TO THE MUSIC
And your done
Can’t feel those old songs playin on the radio
Then I guess yall done.
Sum bitch that last sentence could be hit on the radio.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2019, 11:45 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC jcazes   :thumb:  Yep, as said, enjoy the music first. Tinker if & when you want, but don't stress on it.  8)

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun 2019, 12:09 am »
Welcome - nothing wrong at all.  Just have a normal case of audiophelia. :green:

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #7 on: 2 Jun 2019, 12:14 am »
Greetings and welcome.  Now sell everything you own and buy more audio gear.  :nono:

jcazes

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jun 2019, 01:12 am »
Greetings and welcome.  Now sell everything you own and buy more audio gear.  :nono:

But I JUST bought these!!!  :thumb:

I'm so screwed.

Jon L

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jun 2019, 01:42 am »
Sounds like you are probably powering the Klipsch RP-8000F with home theater receiver, most likely using the internal DAC of the receiver, etc.  I really like what Klipsch has done to improve upon their previous speakers and would hold on to them for a long while.  I would try them with some better electronics and cables instead, especially for 2 channel stereo music.   :thumb:

Lancelot

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jun 2019, 01:47 am »

I would try hard not to change too quickly. It's not that there isn't something better out there ( there always is ) but until you have more experience with the gear you have now, it will be difficult to really know what it is you want to improve on and how to get there.

It is very easy to buy equipment that is different than what you have and may be better by some standard, but might not be better  for you.  You can spend a lot of money and not really be any happier than you are now. Take it slowly. In the long run you will be farther ahead .   

Early B.

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jun 2019, 02:32 am »
You should be proud that you realized early in your journey that your current speakers are no match for direct to consumer brands. Let's face it-- you get much, much better quality for a much, much better price. Keep in mind, though, that if you invest in a pair of Salk or Philharmonic speakers, then be prepared to ditch EVERYTHING and upgrade it to at least the same level as your speakers. So, yeah, your budget of $5 - $6K for an entirely new system is a good starting point.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jun 2019, 02:35 am »
No matter what you buy or how much you spend, there’s always something else. It never ends.

Rocket

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jun 2019, 02:41 am »
Hi Guys,

Just went through this myself.  I live in Perth, Western Australia btw. I bought a pair of nice Osborne Eos Loudspeakers for about $1500usd.  Only to find a pair of secondhand Salk Sound Song 3's for sale for $2000usd. I couldn't resist only 12 months old and in as new condition.  I couldn't really justify buying the Salk's but decided to do so.

I already have a pair of Salk Sound Ht3's and they are expensive to import ie. shipping and taxes. Buying these secondhand was a great find. 

I can heartily recommend the Song 3 speakers.

Cheers Rod

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #14 on: 2 Jun 2019, 06:19 am »
jcazes,

This is perfectly normal behavior for many of the folks who hang out on AC and many other audio forums. Many of us started out in a brick & mortar store by buying the gear there. Then, we discovered direct to consumer manufacturers and realized how great a deal they represent. It can be very addictive. I now have the equivalent of a midsize sedan in my living room, and I LOVE how it sounds.

Of course, my wife thinks I should have my head examined. :thumb:

Michael

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #15 on: 2 Jun 2019, 06:27 am »
As I dont have wife to control my wallet I buy tubes that I will never use, but they are so cheap in Russia.

toocool4

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jun 2019, 07:25 am »
You have to learn to enjoy what you’ve got, as there is always better out there.

When you upgrade next don’t just read reviews go and listen as well, you are lucky this time as the review matched up to your expectations.
I never buy without listening first at the dealers, then I have them at home for a weekend or a week as that is only way to really know if it works in your room with the rest of your gear.

Like others have said, music first.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #17 on: 2 Jun 2019, 11:50 am »
jcazes,,, Your 'audiophile' genes have been activated...  :thumb:
I would say the urge to upgrade will still be there even if you DO spend another  several thousands of dollars, Even if you spends tens of thousands..
The solution is TO LIVE WITH THE URGE. Like an itch you cannot scratch. Way better to just ignore it as best as possible. worrying about it, or feeding it is never going to solve anything.. just make it worse.
One good solution is a controlled rational attitude. Ignore the itch, but do realize that gradual upgrades can be had. Tell your itch it can get something EVENTUALLY, just not now. Maybe in two years...
My suggestion.

Nordkapp

« Reply #18 on: 2 Jun 2019, 12:21 pm »
jcazes,,, Your 'audiophile' genes have been activated...  :thumb:
I would say the urge to upgrade will still be there even if you DO spend another  several thousands of dollars, Even if you spends tens of thousands..
The solution is TO LIVE WITH THE URGE. Like an itch you cannot scratch. Way better to just ignore it as best as possible. worrying about it, or feeding it is never going to solve anything.. just make it worse.
One good solution is a controlled rational attitude. Ignore the itch, but do realize that gradual upgrades can be had. Tell your itch it can get something EVENTUALLY, just not now. Maybe in two years...
My suggestion.

Best advice I've heard yet. Wish someone had told me this 20 yrs ago.

JakeJ

« Reply #19 on: 2 Jun 2019, 12:41 pm »
Hello and welcome to AC, jcazes!  Lots of excellent advice here from my fellow AC members, although keep in mind this select group of individuals can spend other people's money better than any other on planet Earth, in the Solar system, and, dare I say, this quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy.

The disease is called "Audiophilia Nervosa", you've always had it, you just didn't know what it was called.

That said, I second JonL's suggestion.  Great speakers deserve great electronics but while you research enjoy what you have.  I also like the idea of a tube amp but if driving a home theatre it gets expensive fast.  One name I'll throw in the hat is Anthem.  Although I've not heard them myself there's a lot of good reviews (pro & consumer) on the 'net.  Consider buying used gear for targeted trial and error and to save a buck or two.  Don't like what you bought?  Just flip it.  Hopefully there are some brick & mortars near you and they will let you try gear in your home.  Some do.

Keep us posted on your adventures!

Jake